Still Waiting 2009.... Share your ambivalence!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

happymonkey

Re: Still Waiting 2009.... Share your ambivalence!

Post by happymonkey » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 pm

I use mutt + dzen2 as a biff - shout out to GNU/Linux & the command line - lol. I use offlineimap which syncs with Google + others every 5 minutes, also I have a couple of portable devices that have the flashing LEDs when ever new mail comes in. I'm prepared, I just need some luck.

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:22 pm

happymonkey wrote:I use mutt + dzen2 as a biff - shout out to GNU/Linux & the command line - lol. I use offlineimap which syncs with Google + others every 5 minutes, also I have a couple of portable devices that have the flashing LEDs when ever new mail comes in. I'm prepared, I just need some luck.
couple? you sound like a consultant... 4 cell phones and 2 bla... crackberrys

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:29 am

I'm L33t, :lol: . I dabbled into Open Source software and some electrical engineering and ended up with a chachka, and a cell phone both of which have ssh, vim, and a few other need to have applications, of course - like flashing LEDs for when I get mail.
Helio wrote:
happymonkey wrote:I use mutt + dzen2 as a biff - shout out to GNU/Linux & the command line - lol. I use offlineimap which syncs with Google + others every 5 minutes, also I have a couple of portable devices that have the flashing LEDs when ever new mail comes in. I'm prepared, I just need some luck.
couple? you sound like a consultant... 4 cell phones and 2 bla... crackberrys

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:55 am

You sound useful for a research group. Best of luck, would be a shame if nobody took you.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:23 am

PoincareSection wrote:Hi all.
So here is what I'm wondering: All of the schools that I applied to have already accepted some students (Rutgers, Columbia astro, UPenn and NYU). Obviously, I'm not in the first wave of acceptances. Do most people that are accepted get in during the first wave, or is the second wave the majority of acceptances? How long does the second wave happen after the first, assuming there is even a second wave?

Sorry for the dumbass/paranoid questions. I'm really starting to freak out over the idea of not going to school next year.

Thanks.
The large majority are accepted mid to late February.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:38 am

grae313 wrote:accepted mid to late February.
which starts now so maybe the deafening silence will end soon

tmc

Post by tmc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Unfortunately, it's now the weekend again

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 pm

tmc wrote:Unfortunately, it's now the weekend again
My thoughts exactly, hah. Time sure does seem to be flying by, though, waiting for the big things to come in the near future. Namely, grad school acceptances and graduation. I'm getting really sick of being here...

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:01 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
My thoughts exactly, hah. Time sure does seem to be flying by, though, waiting for the big things to come in the near future. Namely, grad school acceptances and graduation. I'm getting really sick of being here...
the mail man still delivers (not for long) and some schools still use the mail man

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Well, I've had an amazing transition. What, you ask? The answer is that I just don't care anymore. It's amazing!

If I don't get in anywhere this year, I KNOW that i can do better on the PGRE (now that I'm in quantum II and thermal physics and have had optics, I went back through the 2001 PGRE and it's so much easier now! I could probably raise my score a couple hundred points on the April test! :)) and also, if go and get my master's at the one local school that's accepted me, I can really improve my applications - spend more time on them, get a real publication in gravitation, stay with my boyfriend until he graduates, etc.

So I just don't f***in care!!! mahahahaha!

tmc

Post by tmc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Helio wrote:
coreycwgriffin wrote:
the mail man still delivers (not for long) and some schools still use the mail man
For those of us not in the US, snail mail is a non-issue for at least a few weeks.

WhatCanYouDoFermi?

Post by WhatCanYouDoFermi? » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 pm

I was about to go check my mailbox today when someone reminded me that it is President's day, i.e. no mail. Now not only do I hate weekends, but holidays too! :x

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:03 pm

WhatCanYouDoFermi? wrote:I was about to go check my mailbox today when someone reminded me that it is President's day, i.e. no mail. Now not only do I hate weekends, but holidays too! :x
Yes I agree I'm annoyed, usually after a wasted day of checking my email, my last hope is to go home and check the mailbox now i don't even get that today.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Oh crap...I totally forgot that today's a holiday, too.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:59 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:Oh crap...I totally forgot that today's a holiday, too.
My school is open so probably others are too.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:01 pm

PoincareSection wrote:
Yeah. My school never takes holidays off. In fact, the only time off we have in the spring semester is one week for spring break.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:03 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
PoincareSection wrote:
Yeah. My school never takes holidays off. In fact, the only time off we have in the spring semester is one week for spring break.
Same here. Even if it snows and the roads are horrible my school doesn't close, and most students are commuters. I hate it.

Monday's do seem to be quiet for admissions regardless.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm back, I really do still care. Damn it.

And with all of you, am frustrated that it is a holiday.

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm

@cato88: thanks :), hopefully one institution will think so too.
------
More waiting, and waiting, and waiting... I Don't know if I'll be job hunting, or ecstatic in two months time. I can't seem to get much real work done as I'm so anxious over what the outcome of my fate will be. This is completely nuts.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 pm

PoincareSection wrote:
Same here. Even if it snows and the roads are horrible my school doesn't close, and most students are commuters. I hate it.

Monday's do seem to be quiet for admissions regardless.
it has reasons for paying people. Some schools do not want people to get paid for a day off, so they say they are open anyway...

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 am

I dont get it why do people post fake result on gradcafe. Whats the point?especially for the fake results that only validate real results like a fake rejection when real rejections are coming out at the same time?

confused_p

Post by confused_p » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 am

cato88 wrote:I dont get it why do people post fake result on gradcafe. Whats the point?especially for the fake results that only validate real results like a fake rejection when real rejections are coming out at the same time?
Just to eat your and my brain. Internet is full of freedom. Normal make it their way -- twisted one have their way too.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:42 am

but it doesnt piss people off nor are you directly interacting with anyone its just plain pointless.

WhatCanYouDoFermi?

Post by WhatCanYouDoFermi? » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 am

cato88 wrote:I dont get it why do people post fake result on gradcafe.
I've wondered about this too. I think the best you can say is that sites like gradcafe, and even this one, are mostly useful for looking at trends. Even if every acceptance were real, you can only try to predict what will happen to yourself in a meaningful way by seeing how a given school decides based on a large number of candidates.

YF17A

Post by YF17A » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 am

Or why people post fake acceptances on this site...Berkeley and Princeton clearly haven't sent out HEP theory acceptances yet.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:05 am

There are fake ones that follow the trend thats what boggles my mind.

babazula

Post by babazula » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:10 am

YF17A wrote:Or why people post fake acceptances on this site...Berkeley and Princeton clearly haven't sent out HEP theory acceptances yet.
it's very interesting that those who claim that they got an acceptance from Berkeley and Princeton are all International applicants. A very early acceptance might be the case for a really uniqe DOMESTIC applicant, but I do believe that it could never be the case for INTERNATIONALs... ( especially if we are talking about Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford, ... )

bosem

Post by bosem » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 am

babazula wrote:
YF17A wrote:Or why people post fake acceptances on this site...Berkeley and Princeton clearly haven't sent out HEP theory acceptances yet.
it's very interesting that those who claim that they got an acceptance from Berkeley and Princeton are all International applicants. A very early acceptance might be the case for a really uniqe DOMESTIC applicant, but I do believe that it could never be the case for INTERNATIONALs... ( especially if we are talking about Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford, ... )
I have not looked at the specific fake posts you guys are talking about. But I believe sometimes, they let some of the internationals in really early, given the applicants have connections with the admission committee.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 am

How do you guys know when posts are fake? And wouldn't it make more sense to let international applicants know first since they need to know earlier to apply for visas and whatnot?

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Do you guys think UPenn sent out all of their acceptances already?

YF17A

Post by YF17A » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:35 pm

@evilclaw: I'm just thinking logically...from earlier posts on this forum, international students are usually accepted after domestics, and it seems extremely suspicious to have acceptances from Harvard, Berkeley, and Princeton a full 3 weeks before anyone else on this forum, given that there are some really excellent profiles here. Also, you don't need a visa to come out for a visit, and the 5 months between April and August are probably plenty to get an educational visa. Any internationals want to comment on that?

babazula

Post by babazula » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Last edited by babazula on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm

bleah...
you guys have really funny notions about international candidates...
use your brain dude...isnt it obvious that you guys will be offered admissions first?
In fact, I called princeton and they told me that decisions will be made for international candidates only around march 15 :(

Also... i have been visiting this forum since before my phy gre, but i somehow didnt find it worth the effort to register myself...I read back then some "allegations" that so many Indians and Chinese applicants get 990 in physics gre because apparently we cheat
:)

Now I really never thought it would come to this that i'd have to write a rebuttal to this allegation, but me frustration levels are such that I am compelled to do the same after so many months

So here goes... In India we write this examination called the Joint entrance examination. We write it right after our 12th standard. You should check out the sort of questions that come in that. You will find that if anything, physics gre (apart from quantum mechanics and special relativity, which isnt taught at school level ;)) is a much simpler examination than JEE. Dont believe me? just try to do a few problems of a book called "Problems in general physics" by a guy called I.E. Irodov.

Then maybe some of you will understand how so many of us get 990.

Note: I am NOT suggesting that we are better than you or anything (See also Note 2). All I am saying is that we are better equipped to tackle big question papers

Note 2: My brain has been temporarily taken over by the Frustration Monkey, which, we might note, might offend a few people here. if he offends you, please remember that his name is "Frustration Monkey" and he will automatically diasppear and look for a new home once his current abode gets a good offer
:(

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Do the chinese have similar exams?

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:28 pm

I am not chinese
ask them
:P

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Another day essentially done...still 6 applications in the wind :(

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm

@Sandman: yes indeed Frustration Monkey has jumped on my back. If I wasn't a domestic student I would have no chance of being accepted. Good luck, you are obviously very qualified and I hope that the f. monkey gets off of both our backs soon. best

@coreycwgriffin: For me it's 10 - 1 immediate rejection = 9 apps. floating indeterminate in the nebulous space of imagination/reality - keep strong brother.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm

aww...
no need to be so modest
i am sure we are all very qualified in our own ways
or very unqualified, as the conspicuous lack of offers for all those who frequent this thread might indicate ;)
and yeah
best of luck to you too

but really
what really sucks about being an applicant from India is the fact that you are halfway around the world :(

So I havent slept at night in two weeks :( I cant even remember the last time i slept before 3 AM

aaaaaa..this is so sickening :(

slugger

Post by slugger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 pm

I love this thread. I sent out nine applications and haven't hear anything from anyone. I already told my folks that if I dont get in anywhere i am joining the navy. I better call a recruiter.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:07 pm

slugger wrote:I love this thread. I sent out nine applications and haven't hear anything from anyone. I already told my folks that if I dont get in anywhere i am joining the navy. I better call a recruiter.
ironically the navy wants me (an international) as nuclear engineer... ITAR is in the way :lol: :lol:

slugger

Post by slugger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah, the US armed services want everyone. I turned down 2 research positions, one at the air froce inst. of Tech. and the other at the naval proving grounds, because i THOUGHT i was going on to do a doctorate. Kill me.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:19 pm

damn
i never thought of that
i just finished filling some mathematics entrance forms
it never occured to me that if i dont get an admission, i'll turn into a psychotic killer anyway
might as well put it to good use :P
killing is fun ...
yay
my... i AM going insane... maybe they should just give me an offer on humanitarian grouds :P

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Come on UWash 3.5 months, OSU 2.5 months and Boulder 2.5 months should be enough to make up your mind... just tell me for god sake..

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:09 pm

dude!!!
havent you already got ..like 3 offers?
why are YOU so tense?

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Sandman wrote:dude!!!
havent you already got ..like 3 offers?
why are YOU so tense?
cause i actually invested time (and better grades) into this and i hate having to sit around and wait from somebody to take there merry time to give me a yes or no answer, when others take less than a month. Even with larger no. of applicants, handing in your application on nov. 1st and not giving you any word of an outcome is just sadistic considering other people got word.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm

I'd just like to know something from anybody.

slugger

Post by slugger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:14 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:I'd just like to know something from anybody.
Here, here. Ill drink to that.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 am

Yeah dude
I totally agree
they have no idea what they put us through, and also how much effort goes into the finished applications they look at...
or maybe they do, and having gone through the same paranoia and frustration when they were our age, they want us to experience the pain too :|

rohit

Post by rohit » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Sandman wrote:bleah...
you guys have really funny notions about international candidates...
use your brain dude...isnt it obvious that you guys will be offered admissions first?
In fact, I called princeton and they told me that decisions will be made for international candidates only around march 15 :(

Also... i have been visiting this forum since before my phy gre, but i somehow didnt find it worth the effort to register myself...I read back then some "allegations" that so many Indians and Chinese applicants get 990 in physics gre because apparently we cheat
:)

Now I really never thought it would come to this that i'd have to write a rebuttal to this allegation, but me frustration levels are such that I am compelled to do the same after so many months

So here goes... In India we write this examination called the Joint entrance examination. We write it right after our 12th standard. You should check out the sort of questions that come in that. You will find that if anything, physics gre (apart from quantum mechanics and special relativity, which isnt taught at school level ;)) is a much simpler examination than JEE. Dont believe me? just try to do a few problems of a book called "Problems in general physics" by a guy called I.E. Irodov.

Then maybe some of you will understand how so many of us get 990.

Note: I am NOT suggesting that we are better than you or anything (See also Note 2). All I am saying is that we are better equipped to tackle big question papers

Note 2: My brain has been temporarily taken over by the Frustration Monkey, which, we might note, might offend a few people here. if he offends you, please remember that his name is "Frustration Monkey" and he will automatically diasppear and look for a new home once his current abode gets a good offer
I'm not sure why this issue came up here , but here's an addendum - the joint entrance examination is for entrance to engineering courses at IITs. There are some PGRE takers in India who who have not prepared for/ not taken these exams. Also , it is almost always the case that engg. students in India are better equipped to take such an exam, 'coz students with a BSc+MSc (3+2 years) dont usually have to go through such competitive tests. Although even they would find the PGRE easier than most Westerners do.

slugger

Post by slugger » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 pm

20 to 1 I have the lowest PGRE score of ANYONE admitted to illinois physics this year! 680, YEE-HAW!