about applying for fall 2010

minaesm

about applying for fall 2010

Post by minaesm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 am

hi every body
i want to apply for the fall 2010 and i wonder which date is better to take the PGRE , i'm worried if i want to apply and the score won't be informed to the universities on time .

WakkaDojo

Re: about applying for fall 2010

Post by WakkaDojo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 am

They will get it in time for any test during 2009 (April, October, November). I took it in November, and seriously regretted not taking it in October since taking it in November resulted in less time to work on applications, and imposed constraints on my classwork since I was studying for the GREs so much during the school semester.. April is too soon (take it in October!)

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:38 pm

I am going to give a generic answer because this topic has been chewed through gazllion times already.

1. It does not matter which one of the Nov or Oct test you take. The scores will get to the universities. The universities KNOW that scores may reach them after the deadline, so that is no problem. Hell UCLA waited 2 months to tell me that my application was incomplete. Do remember Chinese and Indian applicants only have the November test date, so the scores must come in time.

2. What test you take is up to you. The Nov test seemed easier than the October test this year, while with the october test you have plenty of time to revise your application list etc. while in the November case you have about 4 days after the scores come out

3. April 2010 is of course too late for any school you want to apply to. That is only a test date for people who want to practice or just take it early to get out of the way.

4 April 2009 the official registration date already passed, so you will have to do walk in.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

I regret taking the November test - as someone else already said, it takes time away from schoolwork and applications. My application to UCSB was seriously rushed as a result.

Also, if you feel like you screwed up, you can try November's test.

sterculus

Post by sterculus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:08 pm

I don't think you can get your October scores before the November test...but it would be very nice to have more than a couple days between getting your scores by phone and having to submit 12/15 apps.

minaesm

Post by minaesm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Helio wrote: April 2009 the official registration date already passed, so you will have to do walk in.
thanks everybody
actually i want to start my PhD in fall 2010, i can take the test April 2009 because here the registration has just started, if i register for it i have a month and a half to prepare , but some of you said that it's ok to take the October 2009 test .so i'm just wondering which one to choose ?! because i have to take GRE GENERAL and TOEFL also in this period since October 2009 , which date do you prefer to register for ?

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

minaesm wrote:
Helio wrote: April 2009 the official registration date already passed, so you will have to do walk in.
thanks everybody
actually i want to start my PhD in fall 2010, i can take the test April 2009 because here the registration has just started, if i register for it i have a month and a half to prepare , but some of you said that it's ok to take the October 2009 test .so i'm just wondering which one to choose ?! because i have to take GRE GENERAL and TOEFL also in this period since October 2009 , which date do you prefer to register for ?
depends on your country.

You can take the TOEFL whenever online, but you have to watch you cause some schools do not accept the TOEFL anymore (MIT) or only specific types (like paper only, internet + paper, or no computer). For the GRE check online at ets.org and i would say take the general before the PGRE.

minaesm

Post by minaesm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:52 am

hi
can every one guide me about the scores ? i mean what is the maximum in each one (TOEFL&PGRE&GRE general) and what is the acceptable and good for each ? i know the minimum is different from one university to the other but i want to know which is good and also acceptable ?
mina

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 am

minaesm wrote:hi
can every one guide me about the scores ? i mean what is the maximum in each one (TOEFL&PGRE&GRE general) and what is the acceptable and good for each ? i know the minimum is different from one university to the other but i want to know which is good and also acceptable ?
mina
what country are you from? And what are your research interests? Internationals usually need 900+ on PGRE, TOEFL somewhere around 105+ on the internet version, General GRE around 750+ in Q, 400ish on V, 3.0 on A

minaesm

Post by minaesm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:17 am

Helio wrote: what country are you from? And what are your research interests? Internationals usually need 900+ on PGRE, TOEFL somewhere around 105+ on the internet version, General GRE around 750+ in Q, 400ish on V, 3.0 on A
Iran ,actually i work on Photonic crystals for my master thesis and i wanna go to Canada if i can get it and also fund from any university . but i dont know how to search for universities , should i visit all the Candian universities Physics departments websites ? or i should search for proffessors which are working on the same thing to find the best choices to apply !

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:44 am

minaesm wrote:
Helio wrote: what country are you from? And what are your research interests? Internationals usually need 900+ on PGRE, TOEFL somewhere around 105+ on the internet version, General GRE around 750+ in Q, 400ish on V, 3.0 on A
Iran ,actually i work on Photonic crystals for my master thesis and i wanna go to Canada if i can get it and also fund from any university . but i dont know how to search for universities , should i visit all the Candian universities Physics departments websites ? or i should search for proffessors which are working on the same thing to find the best choices to apply !
the latter is better... find a place where they have a similar research and apply there. because you have experience your chances of getting in might be higher... have you thought about phd in electrical engineering maybe? Might be easier to get into.

minaesm

Post by minaesm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:20 am

Helio wrote: have you thought about phd in electrical engineering maybe? Might be easier to get into.
you mean i should search for the electrical engenneering departments and proffessors instead of physics departments? do they in electrical engineering departments also work on photonic crystals ?you mean that ?

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:39 pm

minaesm wrote:
Helio wrote: have you thought about phd in electrical engineering maybe? Might be easier to get into.
you mean i should search for the electrical engenneering departments and proffessors instead of physics departments? do they in electrical engineering departments also work on photonic crystals ?you mean that ?
Yes, at least at my school. There would be one physics prof working with them because it is part of his research set up, compared to like 5 in the electrical engineering department. Photonics is usual in the EE department at most schools and not in physics