When to take the GRE

bchase

When to take the GRE

Post by bchase » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 pm

Hi,
I am currently a junior and intend to study physics in graduate school. At my university, solid state physics, nuclear & particle physics and statistical & thermal physics aren't taken until senior year. Nuclear & particle physics and statistical & thermal physics are offered in the fall of senior year. I am wondering whether it is worth waiting to take the physics GRE until senior year or whether I should take it this coming April. I don't plan on having to take it more than once, but taking in April seems to give me a better option if I need to. Would having a few weeks of those other classes be useful or would self-study and lots of practice this coming semester be enough? Any tips/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Luke Luck

Post by Luke Luck » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:49 am

I'd suggest waiting a year. Three months until the April test might not be enough time to learn a lot of new material and review old stuff as well. If you really want to take the test this year, the November or December test dates would give you more time.

I'm planning to take the test this April, but I graduated in 2001 and these three months are for review and practice.

Good luck,
S

Mick

when?

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:28 pm

Unless you're poor, take the test as often as possible. You can choose which ones to report. Even if you're not ready, pay the $130 or whatever and take it. Take it again. Take it again.