GPA rounding

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astrobio

GPA rounding

Post by astrobio » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:54 pm

So for a variety of reasons, my GPA has been less than stellar recently and has dropped to near 3.0 (was actually about 2.85 before this semester.)

After remotivating myself, I did really well this semester and have a 3.86 for this semester. However, I was unaware that one my classes (a senior seminar) was going to have a grade of IP until I finished my thesis, which probably won't be until sometime in February/March.

With that class added in, my cumulative GPA would be 3.000. Without that class, my cumulative GPA is 2.989. My major GPA is somewhat higher, around a 3.3. Do you think that admissions committees will round that up for my application? A lot of schools *'m applying to have minimum requirements of 3.0, and I'd be pretty pissed if my application was immediately filtered out because of 0.011 grade points.

artschoolapplicant

Post by artschoolapplicant » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Hmm.

A lot of the physics forms and websites I've been using don't even have space for more than two decimal places.

My advice?

Most Universities presort based on what YOU report. Report a 3.0, and when they see a 2.989, I doubt they're going to care if they want to accept you anyway. I mean with something that close, you could be calculating it incorrectly.

Then again, I go to a college that doesn't give grades, so maybe I'm just too lax about this sort of thing.