Acceptance 2009.... Share your joy!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bosem

Acceptance 2009.... Share your joy!

Post by bosem » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:18 pm

:o
:D
:)
:?
:lol:

fastones3

Re: Acceptance 2009.... Share your joy!

Post by fastones3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 am

Post them here:
The Grad Cafe - Grad Admissions tracking

Quick and dirty anonymous way to share/view who is getting in where and when.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 am

It seems like admissions decisions wont start consistently coming in till the 1st of February so I guess were starting the admissions seasons with the Super Bowl.

bosem

Post by bosem » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm

Some students have already offered admission to UT Austin (Astronomy), UW, UCSC (Astronomy), OSU...

tshafer

Post by tshafer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm

I've at least made it to the interview round at NC State...

bosem

Post by bosem » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Well.. that's a good start! More good news to come!

sterculus

Post by sterculus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Just got an e-mail acceptance from UW Madison and an interview with a professor at Princeton (which seemed to go well, he said they were impressed by my application) within ten minutes of each other! :D

nonick

Post by nonick » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:50 pm

got accepted to UW-Madison as well!!!

Nambla

Post by Nambla » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:51 pm

I just got accepted into Ohio State University via email; also invited to their open house to be held on March 5 – 6.

nonick

Post by nonick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm

I just got an email inviting me to the open house at John Hopkins! 2 out of 2.

I really hope Baltimore is not such a ghetto town as it appears...

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 pm

nonick wrote:I just got an email inviting me to the open house at John Hopkins! 2 out of 2.

when is their open house so i can add to the list

nonick

Post by nonick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Feb 27th - March 1st

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 pm

nonick wrote:I just got an email inviting me to the open house at John Hopkins! 2 out of 2.

Depends on what part of town you're in. I spent a week or so there back in 2004, and it was nice, for the most part (I spent most of my time around the touristy marina area). I'm sure the area around Johns Hopkins is one of the better ones.

rockwhj

Post by rockwhj » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 pm

just got accepted to UT Austin, hep theory.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 pm

rockwhj wrote:just got accepted to UT Austin, hep theory.
congrats

Any info on visiting weekend?

rockwhj

Post by rockwhj » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks. The email says that Open house is during Feb 25-27.

misterme09

Post by misterme09 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 am

I'm having a tough time deciding whether to go to the UT Open House or not. I likely won't be attending UT, but it still sounds like a useful thing to attend.

Just if it didn't take three whole days away from school and research. I like the weekend stuff more.

You think you could arrange to arrive a day late?

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:04 am

misterme09 wrote:I'm having a tough time deciding whether to go to the UT Open House or not. I likely won't be attending UT, but it still sounds like a useful thing to attend.

Just if it didn't take three whole days away from school and research. I like the weekend stuff more.

You think you could arrange to arrive a day late?
sry wrong department... was thinking about astronomy not physics

misterme09

Post by misterme09 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:24 am

Physics is also Feb 25-27 though, and that's what I was referring to I guess.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:27 am

misterme09 wrote:Physics is also Feb 25-27 though, and that's what I was referring to I guess.

The astronomy program really only has 1 day of set program. The rest is up to you really. You could take a red-eye flight if something like that exist on thursday night and be there friday morning and then leave saturday morning, there is technically no such as being able to come late. The NYU open house is deceptive in that way (they really think they are it in the world of physics)

Juston

Post by Juston » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:16 am

Thank God! I also got accepted to UT Austin in HEP theory!

I didn't think I'd get accepted at any of my top choices with my scores, especially considering how competitive HEP theory is. I'm glad and relieved that I not only have some place to go, but that I get to go to one of the two schools at the top of my list.

sirius

Post by sirius » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:01 pm

I just got an email saying I'm accepted to Ohio State Physics! Yay!

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:05 pm

sirius wrote:I just got an email saying I'm accepted to Ohio State Physics! Yay!

congrats

still nothing from JHU and OSU on my side :shock:

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:07 pm

Helio wrote:still nothing from JHU and OSU on my side :shock:
Same for me with OSU...nothing like hearing other people get accepted to get you in a crummy mood... :(
Last edited by coreycwgriffin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
Helio wrote:
sirius wrote:still nothing from JHU and OSU on my side :shock:
Same for me with OSU...nothing like hearing other people get accepted to get you in a crummy mood... :(
Well more the fact that have had over 2 months now to make up their mind. If they are holding out because the grad admissions was too stupid to enter my gre score into the system, I might not even visit,

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Helio wrote:
Well more the fact that have had over 2 months now to make up their mind. If they are holding out because the grad admissions was too stupid to enter my gre score into the system, I might not even visit,
Well, I did the paper mail in option for applying to save the application fee. According to one poster who got accepted to OSU (Nambla), he/she did the same, but was asked 2 or 3 weeks ago to fill out the actual application online with the fee waived, then was recently accepted.

I haven't even been asked to fill out the online app :(
Last edited by coreycwgriffin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:20 pm

well this is just annoying. Physics/astro programs have about the same deadline.
They should at least send me some news already! :(

To be honest, It's not like I'll ever choose OSU over UT (no offense to OSU, it's mostly weather preference). So you wouldn't think I would care. But still, I want to hear from them. Just tell me so I'll stop wondering.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Ren wrote:well this is just annoying. Physics/astro programs have about the same deadline.
They should at least send me some news already! :(

To be honest, It's not like I'll ever choose OSU over UT (no offense to OSU, it's mostly weather preference). So you wouldn't think I would care. But still, I want to hear from them. Just tell me so I'll stop wondering.
Where is zwicky when you need him.... he will give you a tirade on how OSU is the world

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Everyone should realize that just because you listed a subfield in your statement and were accepted to a school, that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to work in that subfield, or that the department is endorsing you in that subfield. You still have to prove yourself when you get there. From everything I've heard, what you list as your research interest has nothing to do with whether you are admitted or not, since they know that most students change their minds anyways.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:20 pm

fermiboy wrote:Everyone should realize that just because you listed a subfield in your statement and were accepted to a school, that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to work in that subfield, or that the department is endorsing you in that subfield. You still have to prove yourself when you get there. From everything I've heard, what you list as your research interest has nothing to do with whether you are admitted or not, since they know that most students change their minds anyways.
well i just realized that when i person who does something barely related with what i stated in my SOP contact me to talk to him about it

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Helio wrote:The NYU open house is deceptive in that way (they really think they are it in the world of physics)
I've noticed you hating on NYU a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if the application process was annoying, NYU is famous for its bureaucracy... but CCPP, in addition to having a bunch of great scientists, is a very friendly and lively department. I go there as an undergrad and I'm beginning to wish I had applied to the program myself.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm

abeboparebop wrote:
Helio wrote:The NYU open house is deceptive in that way (they really think they are it in the world of physics)
I've noticed you hating on NYU a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if the application process was annoying, NYU is famous for its bureaucracy... but CCPP, in addition to having a bunch of great scientists, is a very friendly and lively department. I go there as an undergrad and I'm beginning to wish I had applied to the program myself.
Surprisingly, my application to NYU was pretty easy with no hold-ups. CCPP is what attracted me to them. Any idea what sort of jobs newly minted PhDs get? I was searching for this, but couldn't find any data. Are the grad students generally happy?
By chance do you know when the admissions people meet? My PGRE is really bad, but I have awesome research experience and recommendations, so I hope they don't weigh the PGRE heavily.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 pm

abeboparebop wrote:
I applied to the CCPP (SDSS to be precise). I have just been annoyed by their deadline (one of the earliest), the late notification (late feb what I can tell from last year, I don't know what they need 2.5 months), the fact they don't tell you about money until the week before you need to decide (April 3rd last year), the slim information on the website, the hunting through PDFs on the admissions website and being indirectly told i am an idiot by the secretary (an epic 10 minute phone call one of the major annoyances). Not very good conditions to convince someone to come. I also heard that they they pay less than most other places when one considers the location. It was a back up anyway and I was considering going to europe for a masters instead of being poor in downtown new york. I know it is a good program, but at some point I really am annoyed by them. It might be different if I would visit, but I am going to Madison that weekend.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Helio wrote:
abeboparebop wrote:
Helio wrote:the fact they don't tell you about money until the week before you need to decide (April 3rd last year),
I knew they waited to tell you about funding, but I didn't realize they waited THAT long... Jeez. They probably lose many good students because of that.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 pm

and I was also annoyed by the ridiculously early deadline, but they probably have it that way because it's such a clusterf*** of a bureaucracy. It took about a month and a half for all of my materials to appear.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:37 pm

PoincareSection wrote:and I was also annoyed by the ridiculously early deadline, but they probably have it that way because it's such a clusterf*** of a bureaucracy. It took about a month and a half for all of my materials to appear.
same here... 6+ weeks for the transcripts gre was surprisingly quick, but what really annoyed me as well as the misinformation... one time they say we will mail then suddenly an email appears.

PhysicsPdx

Post by PhysicsPdx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Wow, I've had a great experience with NYU. I went and visited last June, everyone was amazing and the graduate students were super happy. My application went through with no problems and everything appeared in a timely manner. In fact, one of the professors there is acting as my advisor on the DOE CSGF application.

How funny that we all have such different experiences. NYU is my top pick due to the visit... It is the happiest, liveliest, most vibrant group of professors and students I met while checking out prospective schools (Stony Brook, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Wisconsin). Although, Wisconsin was pretty awesome.

Plus, they guarantee first year housing in a shared two bedroom, IN Manhattan, for $700 a month. I lived in New York for two years, that is a fantastic deal! And, the TA stipend is livable.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 pm

PhysicsPdx wrote:Wow, I've had a great experience with NYU. I went and visited last June, everyone was amazing and the graduate students were super happy. My application went through with no problems and everything appeared in a timely manner. In fact, one of the professors there is acting as my advisor on the DOE CSGF application.

How funny that we all have such different experiences. NYU is my top pick due to the visit... It is the happiest, liveliest, most vibrant group of professors and students I met while checking out prospective schools (Stony Brook, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Wisconsin). Although, Wisconsin was pretty awesome.

Plus, they guarantee first year housing in a shared two bedroom, IN Manhattan, for $700 a month. I lived in New York for two years, that is a fantastic deal! And, the TA stipend is livable.
That's great to hear! Thanks for posting that.

nonick

Post by nonick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 pm

offtopic:
I just realized today that JHU actually stands for Johns Hopkins University, not for John Hopkins. So until today, in my SOP, and in my emails to the department I have called them with a wrong name. It seems that they are used to that since I still got in :lol: .

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 pm

PhysicsPdx wrote:[NYU] is the happiest, liveliest, most vibrant group of professors and students I met while checking out prospective schools (Stony Brook, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Wisconsin).
I can vouch for this (well, part of it anyway -- I haven't been to the other schools). There are a lot of young, energetic professors who really seem to care about the students and the program.

The majority of the interaction I've had with grad students has been first and second years. I only know of one case of a particularly unhappy grad student -- he was from China and had cultural difficulties in NYC, from what I understand.

I only know a one or two CCPP grad students, all in theory/computation, and they seem to love the program and their work. Can't vouch for the experimentalists. And I have no idea about either jobs after PhD or admissions committee meetings.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 pm

After worrying about JHU and Boulder all day... the day ends favorably I just got into PSU astronomy & astrophysics

nonick

Post by nonick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 pm

congrats, Helio!

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 pm

nonick wrote:congrats, Helio!
that just throws off my whole spring break plans

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:04 am

congratulations to all of you with acceptances so far! that's wonderful! :P

I haven't heard a thing so far from any of the programs I applied to... checking my email an absurd number of times daily at the moment... :roll:

I really, really want to get into Penn State, so I'm hoping they'll send out something soon...

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 am

My Microsoft Outlook checks my e-mail every 3 minutes, and is actually set up to automatically print any e-mails coming from the web domains belonging to the schools I applied to, as well as play a really annoying sound that I recorded.

I check my mailbox on campus maybe 4 times a day...

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:31 am

Got an acceptance from Cornell! I was a bit worried when everybody else started getting acceptances, but I think the delay just resulted from the fact that it takes a while for US mail to get to Europe.

trani

Post by trani » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 am

secander2! wrote:Got an acceptance from Cornell! I was a bit worried when everybody else started getting acceptances, but I think the delay just resulted from the fact that it takes a while for US mail to get to Europe.
Congratulations! :D

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks trani :D

Congratulations to you on University of Washington!!!

Ren

Post by Ren » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 am

secander2! wrote:Got an acceptance from Cornell! I was a bit worried when everybody else started getting acceptances, but I think the delay just resulted from the fact that it takes a while for US mail to get to Europe.
That's great, congrats! Were you notified by letter? I would think they'll e-mail you too since it would be much faster that way.

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:15 am

congrats!!! great to hear that.....