TA funding

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

abeboparebop

TA funding

Post by abeboparebop » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:55 am

I was just accepted to UWisc-Madison, like a lot of you guys, and the email they sent didn't really have financial details.

According to this page, the "annual" TA rate for 2008-2009 (50% teaching load) will be $19,596 -- which, interestingly enough, appears to be lower than the rate for the same position from 2005-2007, if I'm reading the chart right.

My questions concern the word "annual" -- is $19,596 the amount a TA would be paid for teaching all 12 months? i.e. $1633 a month?

Also, is it typical for graduate students in their first couple of years to stay for the summer as well if they haven't hooked on to a research group or advisor yet?

Helio

Re: TA funding

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:15 pm

abeboparebop wrote:I was just accepted to UWisc-Madison, like a lot of you guys, and the email they sent didn't really have financial details.

According to this page, the "annual" TA rate for 2008-2009 (50% teaching load) will be $19,596 -- which, interestingly enough, appears to be lower than the rate for the same position from 2005-2007, if I'm reading the chart right.

My questions concern the word "annual" -- is $19,596 the amount a TA would be paid for teaching all 12 months? i.e. $1633 a month?

Also, is it typical for graduate students in their first couple of years to stay for the summer as well if they haven't hooked on to a research group or advisor yet?
i know my UT thing said that for 9-months i get 22k for TA/RA-ship and the summer is my thing. Usually first year students stay because they want to get at least some research done and some schools require a first year project

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:28 pm

That is the RA pay, not the TA pay. You'll start with the regular TA pay ($12,894 for academic year). The TAA contract has been been expired for some time, and they have been trying to get a raise. I forget if they were successful in getting a few percent or not (or if it's still under negotiation). That number doesn't sound great, but it's very possible to live on it (Madison is not an expensive place). Plus, you'll likely be able to get a summer RA (~$5000), and they give generally give a 1 or 2 thousand dollar "fellowship" as a lump sum when you arrive (they said 1k in the letter but found they had more money, so gave 2k).

EDIT: see this page and the links on it. If you're a domestic student, they may also give you details about applying for the GAANN fellowship, which pays more with less work.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:46 pm

So the pay is more in the range of UWash then lets say Stanford, but the living expenses are way lower

We will see what we get when the letter comes

I am just really wondering about the housing cost because everything else is a really relative thing because I just see places somewhere between 400 and 700 and with 1k a month the 700 is a bit stiff

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah, for what it's worth, Wisc's funding is the lowest of the places I was accepted to, and it seems to be at the low end of what's around. But it's has other redeeming features.

I'm paying $375 (half of $750) a month for a pretty nice two bedroom apartment with everything included (furnished, heat, water, electricity, internet, even laundry). That's at the cheap end of what you can get (it's graduate student housing, so that's expected), but hosing really isn't too expensive around here (except real close to campus -- undergrads with money drive up the prices. Living away from campus isn't a big deal, because the bus system is pretty good, and free for students).

If you do decide on Madison before the deadline (Helio, I recall it's one of your top choices), I highly recommend you put in an application for the graduate student housing (like the Harvey St. apartments, where I am) because they're fairly nice and cheap. The problem is that there's a lot of demand, so you probably won't get anything if you apply on 4/15. I didn't decide until then, but another forum member (VT -- he hasn't posted in some time) decided on Wisc in March, and put in an application then, and I was able to tack my application on to his, so we got in.

excel

Post by excel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Oh, VT and you are roommates!

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:50 pm

dlenmn wrote:Yeah, for what it's worth, Wisc's funding is the lowest of the places I was accepted to, and it seems to be at the low end of what's around. But it's has other redeeming features.

I'm paying $375 (half of $750) a month for a pretty nice two bedroom apartment with everything included (furnished, heat, water, electricity, internet, even laundry). That's at the cheap end of what you can get (it's graduate student housing, so that's expected), but hosing really isn't too expensive around here (except real close to campus -- undergrads with money drive up the prices. Living away from campus isn't a big deal, because the bus system is pretty good, and free for students).

If you do decide on Madison before the deadline (Helio, I recall it's one of your top choices), I highly recommend you put in an application for the graduate student housing (like the Harvey St. apartments, where I am) because they're fairly nice and cheap. The problem is that there's a lot of demand, so you probably won't get anything if you apply on 4/15. I didn't decide until then, but another forum member (VT -- he hasn't posted in some time) decided on Wisc in March, and put in an application then, and I was able to tack my application on to his, so we got in.
Well the problem is that I don't need furnished or whatever. I have all my stuff cause I get kicked out of housing here after 2 years and I have of special needs for things like desk and bed (I am 6-7, so a twin won't do it for me). I am really considering getting a 2-bedroom and then sharing. Living further away from campus is no problem for me as long as the transportation is okay (UT has its huge shuttle service, while the buses are free in Madison) and not like LA (car takes maybe 30 minutes... bus takes 1+ hour, even the rapid ones)
Last edited by Helio on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Well, apartment mates anyway -- thankfully there are two bedrooms since we keep fairly different schedules. He has an RA working for an assistant professor. Let's just say he doesn't have much time to post...

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:58 pm

Helio wrote:Well the problem is that I don't need furnished or whatever. I have all my stuff cause I get kicked out of housing here after 2 years and I have of special needs for things like desk and bed (I am 6-7, so a twin won't do it for me).
There is also unfurnished university housing (in fact, I think all of them except Harvey St. are unfurnished). I think the beds here, like in many dormitories, are twin extra long -- I'm 6'3" and have room (that said, I know that 4" can make a big difference -- cue "she said that" jokes...)

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:14 pm

dlenmn wrote:
Helio wrote:Well the problem is that I don't need furnished or whatever. I have all my stuff cause I get kicked out of housing here after 2 years and I have of special needs for things like desk and bed (I am 6-7, so a twin won't do it for me).
There is also unfurnished university housing (in fact, I think all of them except Harvey St. are unfurnished). I think the beds here, like in many dormitories, are twin extra long -- I'm 6'3" and have room (that said, I know that 4" can make a big difference -- cue "she said that" jokes...)

well it does kill the space in bed... might need a king at some point. Yes I saw that they have unfurnished, but they are a lot more expensive then furnished ones... odd. i will see what other universities tell me and i will see what i decide.

I like the list you can't have because they list snakes... Yes i will keep a snake in an area with an average temperature around freezing.

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:00 pm

dlenmn wrote:That is the RA pay, not the TA pay.
Thanks for pointing that out. $13k does seem very slim compared to other offers but I guess it's location, location, location...

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:57 pm

abeboparebop wrote:
dlenmn wrote:That is the RA pay, not the TA pay.
Thanks for pointing that out. $13k does seem very slim compared to other offers but I guess it's location, location, location...
UWash offered 13.5k last year, so it is not only about location

dsperka

Post by dsperka » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm

This will help people considering Wisconsin. You want areas 1, 2, and 3. Campus is easily accessible by bus under 20 minutes, walking under 30, for any of those areas. Living on the isthmus (the skinny part between the two lakes) is really nice, close to all the bars/restaurants/coffee shops you could ever want. Live in the apartments dlenm linked to if you want to be by tons of graduate students, live on the isthmus if you want a vibrant neighborhood.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:19 am

Helio wrote:Yes I saw that they have unfurnished, but they are a lot more expensive then furnished ones... odd.
Look again. Unfurnished 2 bedroom at Eagle Heights is cheaper than furnished 2 bedroom at Harvey Street.
dsperka wrote:Living on the isthmus (the skinny part between the two lakes) is really nice, close to all the bars/restaurants/coffee shops you could ever want. Live in the apartments dlenm linked to if you want to be by tons of graduate students, live on the isthmus if you want a vibrant neighborhood.
Overall, dsperka has good advice. That said, you're going to pay more to live on the isthmus, and it's not too hard to get there from elsewhere. Moreover, a vibrant neighborhood isn't worth much to someone who lives in a lab.

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey guys, the topic is about TA funding but now it 's all about the housing. So, I have a question about the atmosphere and the weather, does it great for international student from humid hot climate, hot or cool or snow all the time? About people there, are they friendly? About the professor, are they kind for int. student? And are there anything else that I have to know about UW-Madison before my important decision? :roll:

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm

sonwon wrote:Hey guys, the topic is about TA funding but now it 's all about the housing. So, I have a question about the atmosphere and the weather, does it great for international student from humid hot climate, hot or cool or snow all the time? About people there, are they friendly? About the professor, are they kind for int. student? And are there anything else that I have to know about UW-Madison before my important decision? :roll:
According to weather.com, today's high for Madison is -4 degrees Celsius, with a low of -13 degrees. I'd say if you come from a hot climate, you're in for a big change.

dsperka

Post by dsperka » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:09 pm

sonwon wrote:Hey guys, the topic is about TA funding but now it 's all about the housing. So, I have a question about the atmosphere and the weather, does it great for international student from humid hot climate, hot or cool or snow all the time? About people there, are they friendly? About the professor, are they kind for int. student? And are there anything else that I have to know about UW-Madison before my important decision? :roll:
If the professors accepted you to their program, then it means that the think you have great potential and want you to succeed, regardless of whether you are international or domestic. Every single professor I know here (which is almost all of them), has been extremely friendly, and I have no reason to think they wouldn't be the same way to everyone, as long as you aren't a slacker.

Madison itself is bitter cold in the winter, yes, but in the summer its pretty damn hot and humid. Fall and Spring are amazing though. Also, the city is not huge, but diverse enough that you can meet people from all over. You can also find a restaurant that makes any kind of food you can imagine if you are getting homesick.

Obviously I like Madison a lot, so you might want to find some other opinions. But I can't help that I have nothing but great things to say about the place :wink:

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Like coreycwgriffin said, the climate is far from hot and humid. That said, many people have made the transition just fine. People in the Midwest have a reputation for being friendly, but, being a university town, Madison has people from everywhere. As for the professors, many of them were once international students. I'm not familiar with any being less kind of international students than domestic students. There are many other things you should know before making the decision, but I'm not capable of enumerating all of them here.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:35 pm

dlenmn wrote:Like coreycwgriffin said, the climate is far from hot and humid. That said, many people have made the transition just fine. People in the Midwest have a reputation for being friendly, but, being a university town, Madison has people from everywhere. As for the professors, many of them were once international students. I'm not familiar with any being less kind of international students than domestic students. There are many other things you should know before making the decision, but I'm not capable of enumerating all of them here.
I had a 70 degree temperature change between home and LA this winter, so i guess the weather won't really be a factor... just use some common sense and buy the right clothes.
dlenmn wrote:
Helio wrote:Yes I saw that they have unfurnished, but they are a lot more expensive then furnished ones... odd.

Look again. Unfurnished 2 bedroom at Eagle Heights is cheaper than furnished 2 bedroom at Harvey Street.
dsperka wrote:Living on the isthmus (the skinny part between the two lakes) is really nice, close to all the bars/restaurants/coffee shops you could ever want. Live in the apartments dlenm linked to if you want to be by tons of graduate students, live on the isthmus if you want a vibrant neighborhood.
Overall, dsperka has good advice. That said, you're going to pay more to live on the isthmus, and it's not too hard to get there from elsewhere. Moreover, a vibrant neighborhood isn't worth much to someone who lives in a lab.

I dunno... I guess I will have the share a kitchen again (i have had pretty bad experiences with that) and even my parents are like get a 1 bedroom or studio. I will see what i can get for money and go hungry.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:12 pm

To state the obvious, whether or not kitchen sharing works depends a lot the people involved. I only know one grad student who has a one bedroom. It's on the isthmus and he pays through the nose for it.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 pm

dlenmn wrote:To state the obvious, whether or not kitchen sharing works depends a lot the people involved. I only know one grad student who has a one bedroom. It's on the isthmus and he pays through the nose for it.
From what i checked yes... it must be upward of 600 a month... Well lets see what I can figure out with someone if i go.... *looks at metric* :P

dsperka

Post by dsperka » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:53 pm

You can definitely get a studio with heat and electricity included for under $500 a month.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:29 pm

dsperka wrote:You can definitely get a studio with heat and electricity included for under $500 a month.
any good ideas where to look without spending half my day commuting back and forth

dsperka

Post by dsperka » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

If you are going to be out here for the open house weekend or whatever, just call the landlords and set up a meeting to see a place you are interested. Its best to do this at least a week ahead or else they might be busy. Just go to that website I listed, check studio or efficiency, max $600, areas 1 or 2. I found like 100 listings. Then start your day further east then make your way towards campus. Google maps will help. You'll probably get to see the grad student housing at the open house I bet?

metric

Post by metric » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Helio wrote:
dlenmn wrote:To state the obvious, whether or not kitchen sharing works depends a lot the people involved. I only know one grad student who has a one bedroom. It's on the isthmus and he pays through the nose for it.
From what i checked yes... it must be upward of 600 a month... Well lets see what I can figure out with someone if i go.... *looks at metric* :P
Hey Helio! I just read this. Don't take it personally, but I would feel really uncomfortable to share the apartment with you with my wife in it and my two-year-old daughter in the room next door :lol:

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:36 pm

metric wrote:
Helio wrote:
Hey Helio! I just read this. Don't take it personally, but I would feel really uncomfortable to share the apartment with you with my wife in it and my two-year-old daughter in the room next door :lol:
Could be worse :P

Well i will be looking around anyway... still waiting for that the one school i care about.

manunited

Post by manunited » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Hey guys.
Has anyone of you received financial information from Madison? The TA rate I saw in their website seemed rather slim.

manunited

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:16 pm

manunited wrote:Hey guys.
Has anyone of you received financial information from Madison? The TA rate I saw in their website seemed rather slim.

manunited
check here

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=200

somebody got mail yesterday.. i will edit the post when i check my mail later on today

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 pm

According to the letter I got, typical funding is a 50% TA position during the academic year (~$13k) and an RA position the following summer (~$4.5k). It also implied that all first years get a $1k fellowship.

manunited

Post by manunited » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks Helio and abeboparebop.

I got my letter yesterday and ,well, it was not exactly clear how much was i getting. it said $20k minimum for 12 months including RA (and TA training program for international applicants starting around July 13th for which they are giving me ~$2k) and then also said that it was up to me to find a research...weird...
Guess i just have to call them and ask about it.

Can you hassle with the university about funding..you know to increase it? Is it advisable given that madison is my top choice (until now)...but all that depends on the visits to schools... and i am waiting for some more decisions...

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:53 am

manunited wrote:Thanks Helio and abeboparebop.

I got my letter yesterday and ,well, it was not exactly clear how much was i getting. it said $20k minimum for 12 months including RA (and TA training program for international applicants starting around July 13th for which they are giving me ~$2k) and then also said that it was up to me to find a research...weird...
Guess i just have to call them and ask about it.

Can you hassle with the university about funding..you know to increase it? Is it advisable given that madison is my top choice (until now)...but all that depends on the visits to schools... and i am waiting for some more decisions...
There were people around here that said they hassled about and got a bit more. You can always try to contact a prof and see if you can be an RA, so you basically get more money

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 am

If you want to get more money, definitely contact profs and see if you can get an RA. You can probably do this (at least partially) in person since you'd arrive in July, before most other people do.

You can certainly try to bargain with them (try not to hassle them! That'll be counterproductive! Even 'haggle' has something of a negative connotation.) However, it sounds like there have been a lot of applicants (and people considering attending -- both visiting weekends are a good bit bigger than last year), so unless you've got something really special going on (in which case you could probably get an RA anyway), I'd doubt they'll go for it because you have so much competition. I'm not aware of anyone who successfully bargained with them last year (TA prices are set by the bloody union, and they probably don't have a ton of spare fellowship money, so that's no surprise).

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:49 am

I got like this.
$8,595 (September through May based on 2008-09 33.33 % TA rates)
4,895 (Research Assistantship May-Aug, 2010 based on 2008-09 rates)
$13,490

1,910 (for those who participate in Summer 2009 ITA)
$15,400 (Total minimum support projected for July 2009 through August 2010)
1. The RA is only the 4 months right? So, what 'll happen after that? Do I have to find the other RA? And what is the minimum rate for RA per year in UW?

2. The 33% TA rates is the minimum rates, right? Are there any chance to get more rates for international student? What do I have to do in TA? Is the 2nd year grad. student have a chance to get TA together with RA and is it hard to manage it?

Anyone from UW or others help me clear this?

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:19 pm

That's weird. Maybe it's related to what I reported elsewhere -- in the past I thought they always guaranteed 1/2 time TAs (at least for PhD students). They are often looking for TAs, so you may be able to get a 1/2 time TA. A 1/3 time TA is the minimum you can do and still get tuition remission (but you can do less if you want). TAing duties vary by the class you are assigned to TA for, but they generally consist of some combination of grading (exams and homework), running discussion sections, and running labs.

The RA they mention is a summer RA. It's very possible to get RAs at other times, but that depends a lot more on your field. After the summer RA, you either get another RA, or another TA.

The pay rates have previously been linked to, as have many other useful things.

Did they say that the 1/3 time was guaranteed after the first year? (and if so, for how long?)
Did you apply for a PhD or a masters?
Do you know what field you want to do research in?

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:31 pm

dlenmn wrote: Did they say that the 1/3 time was guaranteed? (and if so, for how long?)
Did you apply for a PhD or a masters?
Do you know what field you want to do research in?
They say like this.
The total minimum financial support available to an incoming graduate student with a 9 month TA appointment (50%) who progresses typically in the program during the first year at UW-Madison is:
$8,595 (September through May based on 2008-09 33.33 % TA rates)
4,895 (Research Assistantship May-Aug, 2010 based on 2008-09 rates)
$13,490
1,910 (for those who participate in Summer 2009 ITA)
$15,400 (Total minimum support projected for July 2009 through August 2010)
I applied for PhD focusing on CME.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 pm

That's strange. They say the minimum is a 1/2 time TA, but then the pay they quote is for the 1/3 time TA (1/2 time TA pay is $12,894). You should ask for clarification. Is the text you're quoting from a letter they sent you? There are many opportunities to get an RA in CME.

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:47 pm

dlenmn wrote:That's strange. They say the minimum is a 1/2 time TA, but then the pay they quote is for the 1/3 time TA (1/2 time TA pay is $12,894). You should ask for clarification. Is the text you're quoting from a letter they sent you? There are many opportunities to get an RA in CME.

Yes, I just copied it from their letter. I have another question about the RA rates. What rates is the grad. student usually get from RA funds? How can I get full rates?

That's weird, right? I will ask them.

Thanks for your answer.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:49 pm

I think that RAs usually get 1/2 time (at least when they're taking classes). By the link I posted, that's $19,032 per year. Be careful when comparing pays, some are for an academic year (9 months) and some are for a full year (the two are called "academic" and "annual", respectively).

Getting an RA depends on the prof you work for. Some groups with less money (usually theory) give less than 1/2 time RAs, if they give them at all (they're often combined with a small TA. E.g. 1/3 time RA + 1/5 time TA).

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Ok maybe this is dumb but ive never been clear on how this works. When a schools says they will provide enough funding for tution and living expenses and says that its a minimum of X dollars, does that mean that the X dollars is for oyu to pay living expenses and tution or do theu cover tution and you get X for living. Because so far UBC said they give a minimum of 22,000 but if I hhave tosubtract the like 13000 for tutition, 10,000 for the year is not much to live on....im confused.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:04 pm

evilclaw2321 wrote:Ok maybe this is dumb but ive never been clear on how this works. When a schools says they will provide enough funding for tution and living expenses and says that its a minimum of X dollars, does that mean that the X dollars is for oyu to pay living expenses and tution or do theu cover tution and you get X for living. Because so far UBC said they give a minimum of 22,000 but if I hhave tosubtract the like 13000 for tutition, 10,000 for the year is not much to live on....im confused.
Tuition is waived, meaning the school pays for it. A stipend is money for you to pay for rent/food/personal stuff.

astroprof

Post by astroprof » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:13 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
evilclaw2321 wrote:Ok maybe this is dumb but ive never been clear on how this works. When a schools says they will provide enough funding for tution and living expenses and says that its a minimum of X dollars, does that mean that the X dollars is for oyu to pay living expenses and tution or do theu cover tution and you get X for living. Because so far UBC said they give a minimum of 22,000 but if I hhave tosubtract the like 13000 for tutition, 10,000 for the year is not much to live on....im confused.
Tuition is waived, meaning the school pays for it. A stipend is money for you to pay for rent/food/personal stuff.
Actually, it can be more complicated than that. Most schools consider tuition
waivers "real" money that must be transferred from one pot to another. Thus, they
may pay you with one hand, and take the tuition back with another.

It is very important that you understand the details of the financial package you
have been offered. Even with tuition waivers that are entirely internal
(i.e., you never seen the money, even in virtual form), there may be additional
fees that cannot be covered by the waiver. The current grad students will be able
to tell you how things work from their perspective (which may be very different
than the faculty perspective). They can also tell you whether the stipend is
sufficient for the area (keep in mind that people can have different definitions of
"sufficient" - be sure to ask!).

Finally, since this came up in the context of UBC, it is also important to
understand the US tax code for students studying abroad. I hesitate to give
general advice because tax codes and international agreements are complicated,
but the general rule of thumb is that US citizens are still responsible for
US taxes, even if they live abroad. In the case of Canada, it is likely that
you will probably not owe much (if anything) to the IRS on top of your Canadian
taxes, but it is worth investigating before making your decision.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks for all your advance and insight astro prof, its is pretty complicated i think ill definitely have to talk to them when i go visit and make sure its all clear.