Any astronomy admissions yet?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Ren

Re: Any astronomy admissions yet?

Post by Ren » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 pm

dlenmn wrote:
Ren wrote:I only sent out official ones. How am I going to make it more official?
My school offered the option to put a seal over the back of the envelope, to show that it hadn't been tampered with. Did you get the transcripts from the registrar and mail them out yourself, or did you have the registrar mail them directly? I recall at least one school I applied to required the latter.
I sent a request form to the registrar office, and they mailed the transcipt to the school directly.
I already sent them another request form. Maybe I'll ask them on monday if they can put the seal there, just in case.
Thanks for the advice.

conunDrum

Post by conunDrum » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:56 am

I recieved an email asking to submit an official online app from u of Minnesota. I'll take that to be good news. 2 for 2 so far.

Congats to others getting good news

coconut

Post by coconut » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:20 pm

For Helio,

I saw on your new blog here that you wrote:
UCLA: Again the "we will tell if something is missing" very erratic in who gets admitted and from what I hear all the spots are already taken before the admissions process has even started
What is this all about, how the spots were already taken?

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:53 pm

coconut wrote:For Helio,

I saw on your new blog here that you wrote:
UCLA: Again the "we will tell if something is missing" very erratic in who gets admitted and from what I hear all the spots are already taken before the admissions process has even started
What is this all about, how the spots were already taken?
one of the grad students here is a ucla alum and she did not apply there because she knew that all the astronomy spots go to people that they know. a good example is that a grad from last year who got into UChicago, CalTech, and JHU (for a little selection), but was rejected by UCLA, even though they know out program well for obvious reasons