Note about Penn State's sneaky application

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

mhazelm

Note about Penn State's sneaky application

Post by mhazelm » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:27 am

I submitted my application a couple weeks ago online. I logged in today to check it and discovered that half of it was gone: it turns out that the little boxes they give you to type things in have some kind of character limit - but the limit is smaller than the box size (except for SOP box) and they don't tell you what it is or that there even is a limit.

So, if you submitted an application to PSU and haven't checked it, make sure it didn't delete crap. Their "publications" box deleted my second publication altogether, and the only place to fit in research and awards was the tiny 3-4 lines for honors/activities, so I just ended up downloading the paper form (more space) and sending it via snail mail with a CV.

Just in case someone, like me, hadn't checked to see if everything was still there (you'd think it would be)...

bencpp

Re: Note about Penn State's sneaky application

Post by bencpp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am

well, fortunately I discovered this tricky thing at the beginning of the application...

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:01 pm

yeah, I had to cut my Honors to 3 to 4 words without date to fit the box. also for semester box of the Electrodynamics course I have problem. system doesn't save that.
also at SOP section that seems there is no limit I put some spaces at the beginning of the first parag instead of Tab but it doesn't accept that either.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:25 pm

I Dunno is this physics or astronomy app cause my astronomy app took all my stuff with no problem and some of things are clearly longer than the box

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 pm

well... could it be our operating systems? Maybe you can't save as much if it's a mac? :P I have no idea, but I did the paper one and attached a CV to it for kicks.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:14 am

nope, its not the operating system problem. because mine works well with other app pages.

@Hellio
I found it in the physics application.