Discussion of 2009 Profiles

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

phoenix_123

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Post by phoenix_123 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:57 am

Folks!

I am curious to know what you feel about my chances, given my profile. Also please suggest some safe applications.

Cheers,
phoenix_123

senor_frijole

Post by senor_frijole » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:24 am

phoenix_123 wrote:Folks!

I am curious to know what you feel about my chances, given my profile. Also please suggest some safe applications.

Cheers,
phoenix_123
ditto.

unstudmaddu

Post by unstudmaddu » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:16 am

hi
can somebody please comment on my profile.... i think i have over-reached big time
my scores are good (1600 gre and 990 agre)... but no publications and not that great a gpa
plus the fact that i am an indian so i guess conditions would be more stringent

feedback please!!.......thnx

naroays

Post by naroays » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:22 am

unstudmaddu wrote:hi
can somebody please comment on my profile.... i think i have over-reached big time
my scores are good (1600 gre and 990 agre)... but no publications and not that great a gpa
plus the fact that i am an indian so i guess conditions would be more stringent

feedback please!!.......thnx
I think you have a good chance at the univerities you are applying to! You seem to have good research experience. If you detail that in your Statement of Purpose, I think you'll have a great application.

I'm an Indian from an IIT, and applying to experimental soft condensed matter groups as well. Best of luck!

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:02 pm

@basem, if you could clean up your profile to make it a little more readable using the "template" listed at the top of the post that would be really nice. Thanks :D

@basem & phoenix_123, I don't know how much the low PGRE, medium GPA, and international status will hurt. The only way to ensure admissions it probably to apply to a wide range of schools. Also, with a mid-range PGRE, I'd avoid expressing to deep an interest in theory.

@senor_frijole, it seems to me like you're golden! In particular, if you play up the "immigrant" status (since you say "Domestic male, white, but originally from a different country") in your SOP, you should be completely fine! Also, if your GPA shows a nice trend like "always increasing," I doubt it will be a problem if you and/or your recommenders address it and spin it in the right light.

@unstudmaddu, you definitely did shoot high! I doubt you'll get in everywhere because you're international, but I'm positive you'll get in somewhere. Also, with good research in Europe, I'd bet you'll get into most of the schools you applied to, so I wouldn't worry :D

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:02 pm

Mine's up. I've been told I have an app that will result in a bit of interesting discussion from any admin committee, but am of the philosophy that I only need to get in one. :wink:

One thing I'm still dithering about- I really am spending six months to travel starting in about a month, and as a result needed to put down my parents' address and phone number. Looking at last year, it looks like most places communicate via email right? I also confess my current version of my personal statement doesn't mention what I'll be doing for this period (judging by my department, you can get really weird responses), think anyone will notice or care?

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:41 pm

I have heard that age is not considered very much in graduate school admissions, in almost all cases and depending on what schools not at all. I say do what you can for yourself, travel, etc., and be ready to get research dirty when you're ready. Life is too short to not live in unhappiness.

tmc

Post by tmc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Andromeda wrote:Mine's up. I've been told I have an app that will result in a bit of interesting discussion from any admin committee, but am of the philosophy that I only need to get in one. :wink:

One thing I'm still dithering about- I really am spending six months to travel starting in about a month, and as a result needed to put down my parents' address and phone number. Looking at last year, it looks like most places communicate via email right? I also confess my current version of my personal statement doesn't mention what I'll be doing for this period (judging by my department, you can get really weird responses), think anyone will notice or care?
They won't notice, as I assume most people don't necessarily mention what they'll be doing for the next six months. They might also figure that it's possible that you don't know yourself yet. And in any case, I don't see how traveling for a few months before starting a PhD could count against you.

pd

Post by pd » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:36 am

Last edited by pd on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:08 am

Don't want to sound too worried and desperate, but will someone give me their opinion of my profile that I just posted? I think I might not get into some of the higher tier schools I'm applying to, but I'm pretty optimistic about getting into at least one or two.

rohit

Post by rohit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 am

Please comment on my profile. In particular-
- As an international with my low PGRE score, do i have a reasonable chance in HEP thry/expt ? In Astrophysics theory ? at any of the places in my list? Care to point out the schools in my list that i will probably not get into?
- If i do have a chance, have i got enough safeties and reaches?
- will it be a better idea to drop, say, rutgers, penn state and try some other places ranked 75 - 100 like drexel univ , george washington univ? I am limited to 9-10 schools.
- If i do not have a chance at these places (guessing i can forget HEP this year then), plz point out a couple schools that are decent in Astrophysics theory and where i have a good chance. (Hate to be fussy, but i do not want to go to the south :| )

Replies to any of the above will be much appreciated.

basem

Post by basem » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:12 am

Hello everyone, i would appreciate if someone could take a look at my profile and offer some advice. I have only applied to three schools and i am not sure where to go next. thanks alot.

monocles

Post by monocles » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:26 pm

@dustdevil about major GPA being higher than overall

While I find my technical classes more challenging than non-technical classes, I also find them much more interesting, so I've gotten all A's in them. But since the non-technical classes are either boring, require memorization, or not challenging, I have yet to make an A in any of them. So that's my reason.

doohan

Post by doohan » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Any thoughts on my profile? I'm sure I'm reaching high, considering my low PGRE. I'm debating whether or not to investing applying to more schools. Some of you guys with 15 schools! That's a lotta money.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Yeah, Yale and Harvard might be a bit of a reach with the PGRE score, though with your grades, advanced classes, and research experience it might be worth it to apply to a few more middle tier schools.

ck85

Post by ck85 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 am

Any comments on my profile?

PGRE is going to sink me! :(

luckybohr

Post by luckybohr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Hello friends,

I just recently posted my profile. What do people think about my chances?

Thanks!

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:50 pm

luckybohr wrote: Undergrad Institution: Top private university (beings with H :)
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.92
Research Experience: 3 years in CME lab with one first-author publication and a few more in review. 1 summer research in AMO on quantum corrals. 1 freshman research in optics with publication accepted and in press (3rd author).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Phi Beta Kappa, various fellowships
Q: 800 [94%]
V: 770 [99%]
W: 5.0 [77%] :sigh:
P: 990 [96%]
Nope, you're screwed. The current policy is to never accept anybody with a degree from Harvard or anybody with a GRE writing score lower than a 7.0. Too bad! Work harder!

Seriously though, asking us "What do people think about my chances?" ... you're either being funny, completely clueless, or just bragging. I presume it's the former.

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:53 pm

luckybohr wrote:Hello friends,

Thanks!
Well, I can't help but notice that you didn't pull a 4.0 GPA or get the Goldwater Scholarship. And that 5.0 in writing is really going to hurt. Maybe you should have added some safeties.

"I'm applying to Oxford and the Sorbonne, but Harvard is my safety school."

Ren

Post by Ren » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 pm

secander2! wrote:
Seriously though, asking us "What do people think about my chances?" ... you're either being funny, completely clueless, or just bragging. I presume it's the former.
it's not funny :(

Fritz.Zwicky

Post by Fritz.Zwicky » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm

luckybohr wrote:Hello friends,

Thanks!
Well, at Harvard you start with a B+ if you can pass "fogs the mirror" test, so indeed, your GPA is a cause for concern. But you should do OK :twisted:

You are a Spherical Bastard

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm

luckybohr wrote:I just recently posted my profile. What do people think about my chances?
@ luckybohr

You know you have a nearly 100% chance of being admitted to all of the schools, and if you actually do have any doubts... go ask your profs... I'm sure they'd bet on it too.

I'd like to ask, respectfully, what is your reason for applying to all of the top-9 schools. You clearly have your research interest figured out, so I don't see how you could be uniformly interested in 9 different programs. Many of us less-then-perfect applicants apply to all the top schools to maximize our chances of getting into somewhere great, but since you know you'd get in anywhere, being one of the top students at a top program with a complete resume, what's the point of applying to so many? Even if you were equally interested in all of them, I doubt you'd have the energy to visit 9 programs next spring...

I meant to ask the same thing to geomar and gcensr from last year's class, but I forgot. It's as if they wanted to run the table just to impress themselves or their friends. I like to impress people too, but unfortunately, these schools can't afford to risk having too many students take their offers, so they can only accept so many students. So it hurts those of us for who these schools are "reaches" if all the perfectionists apply to every top-10 program instead of picking out their favorite few...

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:47 pm

quizivex wrote: I'd like to ask, respectfully, what is your reason for applying to all of the top-9 schools.
This is not quite true -- according to USNWR, he skipped Cornell at number 7.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Maybe he overlooked that or hes going on an older ranking someone should tell him but the deadline was the 15th of Dec.

luckybohr

Post by luckybohr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:42 pm

@ quizivex et al.

It seems as if my comment has generated a lot of discussion and vitriol against me. I apologize if anyone has mis-interpreted my intentions, feel free to call me "clueless", but I was asking an honest question. First off, as many of you seem to have suggested, I have conversed with quite a few advisers on where and how many schools to apply to. All of them (including my UG adviser) suggested applying to no fewer that 8-10 schools, especially in high energy theory/ CMT. They mentioned examples of former students who were caught in a quagmire because of such a decision. [it is actually extremely expensive, as you all know, to apply to so many schools and I would have loved to cut down my spending and buy more christmas gifts if my advisers has so suggest]

Their observations are that many foreign students with numerous publications are being accepted over domestic students, so they suggested that I apply to quite a few programs. Further, although I had to choose a "field", I am actually rather undecided about my research goals, especially because I simply have not had the chance (or background) to do any research in HEP. Perhaps, this seems like an anomaly to those discussing this forum, but actually is an extraordinarily widespread belief, at least among my peers. In particular, my roommate and another of my closest friends have a "resume" just as good as mine [read as: identical except lower verbal score and different field of interest], and they are applying to 12/10 schools respectively, including all the schools I have applied too!

Their advisers suggested the same things to them when they were deciding how many programs to consider. Of course, it might be that I am influenced by my peers and that we are simply mistaken about these issues, but it is hardly reasonable to argue that I should have disregarded numerous advisers suggestions. I guess I am glad to hear that so many of you guys are confident in my resume... I hope, quizivex and others, can have a better understanding of my decisions now and that you guys no longer feel as though I am trying to "steal" your spots...

Thank you.

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:10 pm

luckybohr wrote:Their advisers suggested the same things to them when they were deciding how many programs to consider. Of course, it might be that I am influenced by my peers and that we are simply mistaken about these issues, but it is hardly reasonable to argue that I should have disregarded numerous advisers suggestions. I guess I am glad to hear that so many of you guys are confident in my resume... I hope, quizivex and others, can have a better understanding of my decisions now and that you guys no longer feel as though I am trying to "steal" your spots...
Only one person is saying that your decision to apply to nine top-notch schools is a bad idea -- I personally would do the same thing in your situation. Speaking for myself, I have two problems with what you've said:

1) Your decision to apply to the top nine schools makes you seem like someone who is more concerned with name brands as opposed to strength in your subfields of physics. I don't know a lot about all of the schools you've mentioned, and I guess they're probably all strong in both CMT and HEP, but that's how it comes across.

2) What are we supposed to say about your application chances? The parts of your profile that we can see are (more or less) perfect. You'll get in somewhere, probably most of the schools on your list, unless your recommendation writers secretly hate you.

Now, of course, this is true to some extent for most people -- very little we're going to say is going to help anybody. But when somebody with a profile like yours claims to want "advice" on their profile, they come across as a braggart or completely clueless.

bronco199

Post by bronco199 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:17 pm

@lucky bohr

Please realize: the fact you have posted your profile here - and were naive/arrogant enough to ask for advise indicates how out of touch you are with reality. Also, please realize that I am not saying this because I have hatred towards people at fancy schools like Harvard. In fact, I also go to Harvard, and I have a pretty strong "resume" myself, including numerous publications, and a first author PRL, but I specifically did NOT post my profile on the forum because it would not be helpful to others. The only reasons one should post a profile or ask for advise if if there is actually something to ask advise about, or if your situation would be helpful to others. Otherwise, you are simply putting other people down, and creating disgust and hatred of Harvard students. I have seen enough snobbery and arrogance on camps during the past four years. Do yourself and everyone else a favor, and get in touch with reality. Someday, the high-school over-achiever bubble will pop and you will realize that there's not much left.

about your advisers - I'm not sure who or where you get your advise from. But I've also gotten advise from numerous folks in the physics dept., including Dave Morin and Howard Georgi, and nobody recommends applying to more than 8 schools, or just skimming the top.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:19 pm

I would agree with abeboparebop and bronco199.

excel

Post by excel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:30 pm

oh c'mon people, lay off him! As would be evident if you go through past discussions here, many of the strongest of students among us felt/ feel anxious during the grad school application--most of us know one or more people with very strong profile and dont really know how many such students we would be up against. So, it is quite natural and understandable that most applicants would feel somewhat "clueless".

It is true that luckybohr may have been deliberately bragging, but is there any evidence to show that is actually the case?

cato88

Post by cato88 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:40 pm

I dont think anyone was really accusing him of bragging but more along the lines of 1 and 2 of abeboparebop
points and maybe being clueless. If you cant get into a grad school going from a top 3 university with 3.9+ with near perfect test scores and first author publications what hope does anyone else really have and simple logic should dictates that you rank somewhere around the top 5% of physics students and since no school has an acceptance rate below 5% or even near 5% then you should feel abit of security. It is also odd that given his record he is applying to so many schools since people I have known with his record apply to around 4-6 schools and usually have some idea of where they stand relative to the application pool.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm with excel. Give luckybohr a break. Be glad that he asked a question that was easily answer and that there will be one more person with a low stress admissions process. Once admissions letters start going out (only a few weeks away!) and some people don't get any in the first wave, you'll be hearing more and more from folks in the opposite situation. There will probably be a flood of people with (real and imagined) concern for their chances. Some of you might be among them. Steel yourselves for that.

stardust

Post by stardust » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:52 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with luckybohr applying to so many schools. Even if he
does get them all, he can still compare offers, ta or ra. He can investigate which of his chosen
advisors are filled up and not taking students for example. It's better to have more options and
choices. I think anyone who tells him to apply to less is kinda ... well, jealous. Besides, we don't
know what the effect of the economy will be. Besides, even within the same topical field, there could
be different emphasis at different places.

I think he is right to be concerned with a lack of research in his desired field. Theoretically, we
should be able to prove good research skill and have that transfer over to any other subspeciality, but unfortunately, the ignorance of a committee may not think that way. It's almost like the grant process,
where they had to have done half the grant, BEFORE, they apply for a grant. It may be the same, that
we have to have done some research in that speciality first, even though the skills and talent would certainly transfer over. Would a near perfect candidate fair less well against a less perfect candidate who had letters, pubs, and research directly in line with their interests? It is a tricky question.

The other issue, its possible an advisor recommending something may do so with inside knowledge. He
may not be wrong, but thinks the candidate really won't get into all, so why wouldn't someone listen. The only other criticism which I think is big one, which I think letter writers inlcude on the sly, is the
issue of independence. Someone may look like a perfect candidate, but if they aren't particularly
independent thinking, that could have a big effect. I'm not saying this candidate is in that situation,
but I think there could be things the letter writers address which we do not know about. I think a lot
of the research jobs we can get, don't necessarily give us an opportunity to be independent, so how
can they even judge that. But, if someone got the chance to show that, all the better.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:09 am

stardust wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong with luckybohr applying to so many schools. Even if he
does get them all, he can still compare offers, ta or ra. He can investigate which of his chosen
advisors are filled up and not taking students for example. It's better to have more options and
choices. I think anyone who tells him to apply to less is kinda ... well, jealous. Besides, we don't
know what the effect of the economy will be. Besides, even within the same topical field, there could
be different emphasis at different places.
After looking at survey for my college out of about 8 grads with 97%-99% PGRE. The average was around 4.5 applications with the most being 7. Some of them even applied to only 4 programs all top 10. Its not that hard
to make a list of 5 schools. You could convince yourself that you need 10 options but more often than not youre probably seeking validation from rejecting the schools in April like a being a stereotypical queen bee
high school girl. I never applied to more than 6 colleges in undergrad or grad but I guess I spend some time thinking about what I want to do in ug/grad school which schools are compatible with that and have a spread in selectivity. Given my experiences with advisors and bronco199's Harvard comment
Going to a top 15 school youre pretty much sold the idea for four years that if you get good grades and do well on tests you will get into a good grad school.I dont think luckybohr is a real profile or he went to Harvard received a 3.9 GPA and excellent scores but managed to completely! isolate himself from the atmosphere or by telling him/her to apply to more schools his advisor must of been hinting that he doesnt have the most positive view of him/her (I wouldnt ask that advisor for a recommendation) . The

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 am

@luckybohr, sorry we came down so hard. I didn't mean for this to become a crucifixion or something. I'm guessing we're all just a bit edgy due to the fact that we're all scrambling to finish applications or worrying about those we have submitted and so, seeing somebody as well qualified as you being worried was slightly discomforting.

Dubliner

Post by Dubliner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey All,

Decided to join to crowd and added my profile for your viewing pleasure.

Please feel free to comment!

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:01 pm

You have a decent amount of research experience

Dubliner

Post by Dubliner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:04 pm

Sorry for the generalized request for comments. I should be more specific. I think my profile is a case in point that highlights the balance between research and scores. My research experience is pretty good - but my GPA is horrible, and my test sores are so-so. Where do you think the balance lies? Do my scores/GPA negate any positives from research?

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:36 pm

I think it depends on the grad school. Some schools might emphasize GPA others maybe not as much. It might depend abit more on the type of student they are looking for this specfic year maybe the had too many theory students last year so they are looking for more experimental students or maybe the other way around.

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Two questions:

1) Why do you manually put line returns in your posts? The message posting system handles that automatically.

2) Are you three?

EDIT: Doesn't make a lot of sense in retrospect. I'll leave this for posterity -- you know, want to make my mark in the world and all.
Last edited by abeboparebop on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stardust

Post by stardust » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 pm

abeboparebop wrote: Two questions:

1) Why do you manually put line returns in your posts? The message posting system handles that automatically.

2) Are you three?
1) I don't mind having an editor. Then I don't have to worry about the trivialities. Clearly I type
the way I prefer to type.

2) No, I'm not the one wearing a big green dress!

My question to you apebobbillybob - whatever!
Do you have anything useful to say?

Fritz.Zwicky

Post by Fritz.Zwicky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Wow, what an elevated level of discourse! I would expect nothing less from the future intellectual leaders of the scientific world.

Fritz "I Like When People Argue" Zwicky

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:48 pm

stardust wrote: @cato88 Who cares what your # of school statistics show. Why should anyone follow that?
It really costs statistically little to add in a few more schools. I mean another few letters or another
few scores reports, so what the F is the big F'in deal? Because you are jealous wearing a big green
dress!
As a physicist I like looking at observations and experiences and using that to help guide decisions.
I was hoping to show some statistics and express an opinion and move on.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:51 pm

Fritz.Zwicky wrote:Wow, what an elevated level of discourse! I would expect nothing less from the future intellectual leaders of the scientific world.

Fritz "I Like When People Argue" Zwicky
Tag, youre it

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm

When people are at each other's throats, admissionprof has been unmasked, and Grant has allowed Twister administrator privilages, then will garden return.

Keep it up guys!

May the wind be always at your back,
-WontonBurritoMeals

G01

Post by G01 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Wow, children calm down! I'll blame the immaturity on the stress of the admissions process. :roll:

rohit

Post by rohit » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 am

stardust wrote:
abeboparebop wrote: Two questions:

2) Are you three?
1) I don't mind having an editor. Then I don't have to worry about the trivialities. Clearly I type
the way I prefer to type.

2) No, I'm not the one wearing a big green dress!
My question to you apebobbillybob - whatever!
Do you have anything useful to say?
I dont understand this. :(

hassan12345

Post by hassan12345 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi
my profile is:
pgre:820
gpa:3.2
publication:2 paper in credible journal
conference:2 poster-1 presentation
lab exp: 2 years
teaching exp: 3 years
can i apply to top 10 physics in solid state physics such as mit harvard berkely stanford and so on?

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 pm

hassan12345,

Take a look at last year's results to get an idea how people do. There are some other important pieces of data that factor in to this. Such as: Are you a domestic of foreign student? If foreign, what scale is your GPA on, and how is yours relative to others in the class?

trani

Post by trani » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm

So since there has been a lot of questions being asked about whether different schools have confirmed receipt of extra materials I decided to temporarily include any info I have about that in my profile in the 2009 Profiles thread. I guess you guys could do so if you think that is a good idea. If deciding in favor. Mention how you obtained the inf about whether your app is complete. Especially: did you inquire? did you get a call saying you are missing something?

Anyhow the idea is to erase that info from the profile when it becomes irrelevant, i.e. in a couple of weeks, so that the thread does not get cluttered.

YF17A

Post by YF17A » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Good idea. Still nothing from Harvard, Berkeley, or Stanford...