Is anyone applying to Maryland?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

mhazelm

Is anyone applying to Maryland?

Post by mhazelm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out their application. I already paid and submitted the application to the graduate school (the general one), but I don't know how the Physics Dept. requirements are to be done. Do they have a form for my recommenders to use? Where do I mail my SOP? Do they want anything else?

I thought the general application said something about them adding a physics specific application, but when I log in, it just says I already paid and shows me the (general) submitted application. The deadline is nearing... anyone have any idea how we do it?

unstudmaddu

Re: Is anyone applying to Maryland?

Post by unstudmaddu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Maryland has this weird Additional Supplemental Form (ASF) thing. When you log in after submitting your basic application, you get an option to view your ASF. Do that and you will find the rest of your application, including details on how to get recommendations and submit your SOP.
This is basically Step 5 on this page: http://www.gradschool.umd.edu/gss/admission.html

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 pm

aha, thanks, I found it! :)

Apparently it's always been confusing. My advisor told me that he applied there back in the day for physics, and got a rejection letter saying that he wasn't qualified for a degree in psychology. :lol:

sirius

Post by sirius » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:37 am

Agreed. I applied to Maryland, as well as nine other schools. Maryland's application was by far the most haphazard application process. It really confused me, but I really like the school otherwise.

trani

Post by trani » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:46 am

Maybe that is their level 1 weeding out procedure. If one is not stubborn enough to figure out the app one won't get through grad school :lol:

nonick

Post by nonick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:34 am

This was exactly the reason why I didn't apply to UMaryland. I guess their weeding out system really does work :lol:

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:06 am

Same here! I had planned to apply there last year. Then when I saw how cumbersome their application process was and how we had to "sign up" to apply and they'd "get back to us in a few days" I'm like WTF they're not worth it. Lol. For $80 I'm expecting to be able to copy-paste the info from my other apps and change the school name in my SOP, not fuss around with some school that insists on having a different app system than everyone else.

sterculus

Post by sterculus » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 pm

I also found it really annoying that they don't send out emails to rec letter writers until *after* you submit the ASF, which doesn't let us do it last minute.

WhatCanYouDoFermi?

Post by WhatCanYouDoFermi? » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Another complaint about Maryland:

I sent in all of my transcripts in early December and they are the only school I applied to (out of 12) that hasn't acknowledged that it has been received. I realize that there is a bit of a delay to process all of the incoming documents, but over a month?? Has anyone else had the same problem?

tmc

Post by tmc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

They haven't acknowledged having received my transcript either (sent over a month ago)

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 pm

crap, I still have to mail mine. I have had the transcripts forever now in a folder. I just haven't made it to the post yet... guess that will be tomorrow morning... :)

sirius

Post by sirius » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 pm

I made the mistake of sending my transcripts to the department. i sent another set to the grad admissions office now, so they better acknowledge it.