importance of publications?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

rjharris

importance of publications?

Post by rjharris » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi everyone. Out of curiosity, how important are publications for getting into grad school? Specific to my case, I have one ATel (astronomer's telegram) put out in June, which is really more like an abstract than anything else. I also have a paper to be published hopefully late this month of in jan (later than the app deadlines though) and a thesis, again next semester. I'm curious if on the apps i can say "Paper to be submitted for publication" where they want papers written, etc. anyone know if i can put stuff that will be published? or should i just send it in with supplementary materials some schools accept after the deadline? thanks!

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:28 pm

In my statement of purpose I mentioned the research that I had done and then cited a paper that we were preparing to submit. I just wrote this citation as a footnote and added (In preparation) or something like that.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Publications are pretty important as not many applicants have them. I would definitely indicate any sort of publishment.

pascal

Post by pascal » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Does one have any chance of getting into a top ten program without any publications? I have two summer research experiences and good test scores/grades/recommendations, but I am doubtful it is enough to get me into the likes of Stanford/Harvard/MIT.