Experimental Condensed Matter Schools

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

coreycwgriffin

Experimental Condensed Matter Schools

Post by coreycwgriffin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Seems like a lot of people here are interested only in HEP, but I was wondering if there were any other condensed matter folks here.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools with somewhat-strong experimental condensed matter groups that dont' have particularly high standards as far as the PGRE goes. I want to add one or two more safe schools to my list (see my profile in the 2k9 thread). Any ideas?

Helio

Re: Experimental Condensed Matter Schools

Post by Helio » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:21 pm

any speciality like Soft, Hard or nanotech, etc?

I have heard around here UC Riverside is an up and coming department, so you might want to try them

murs

Post by murs » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:42 pm

It looks to me like CME is one of the most popular specializations here, which is a bummer because it is what I'm going for as well. You can check out my profile to see what schools I liked, I am going for nanotech. I have no idea what schools don't have that stringent of requirements for pgre, hopefully all of them considering my 680. I think Oregon isn't that big on pgre, but no clue on others.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:05 am

I guess you could say hard condensed matter for me. My experience thus far has been with electronic transport (Hall measurements in particular) for metal hydrides, but I'm also interested in any kind of semi-conductor and superconductor study. Nanotech is ok as well, even though carbon nanotubes irritate me, for some reason. Oh, and I find the whole spintronics thing fascinating.

Also, I'd like to avoid the far west coast if at all possible. I'm from a small town in the east, and I feel like that'd be too drastic of a change.

a13ean

Post by a13ean » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 pm

blanked
Last edited by a13ean on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:39 pm

a13ean wrote:For fairly easy to get into condensed matter schools I would say U Delaware (Xiao group sounds pretty interesting) although they had a 1 Dec deadline, Wisconsin and Minnesota. A lot of the UC schools have a few good groups, but I don't have any idea how hard they are to get into.
Minnesota's my number one choice right now. I'm hoping having an alumnus write me what should be a very nice letter of recommendation will make them forget about my PGRE score.