How important is Physics GRE for applied physics?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

appliedphysgirl

How important is Physics GRE for applied physics?

Post by appliedphysgirl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:37 am

I'm new to this forum, but would like to get some feedback on my problem. I was supposed to take the physics gre on november but forgot my ID :( . Cannot take it this weekend because of the dumb deadline. Then, I'm applying to optics, applied physics and materials departments instead. I was going to this anyway. However, some of the applied physics dept. say it is "strongly urged" but not a requirement. I'm starting to get nervous since I've read some of the previous posts where people get this extremely high gre scores. What do you think my changes are even without the physics gre?
Last edited by appliedphysgirl on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:17 am

my friend got accepted to harvard and cornell applied physics departments as a physics major without taking the physics gre. He had a pretty perfect academic record and didn't want to take the physics gre. So it is possible to get accepted without taking the test.

appliedphysgirl

Post by appliedphysgirl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:04 pm

thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. hopefully they do look at everything else. Actually, I felt pretty stupid when that happened (forgot my id) but I found out that I was not the only one. Anyway, I really don't think the gre is a measure of success for grad school. They should get rid of this requirement :D . By the way, to whay school did you go to? I was looking at the acceptance posts from february and it looks like everybody got into pretty good schools.

jormiga

Good luck

Post by jormiga » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:00 am

I think you have good chances of ending up in some of the schools in your list. If you didn't take the Subject GRE, then other parts of your application will be more important, like your LORs. They expect decent scores in the general GRE, but you know I don't think that really can take you into a program (although those scores can rule you out.) I believe your research experience and excellent GPA even from a less-known university will be looked upon with benevolent eyes.

Don't stress out too much, you cannot do anything about your Physics GRE now, and don't feel dumb... remember that the stereotypical scientist is absent-minded. Good luck!

P.S. Do you know who I am?

appliedphysgirl

Post by appliedphysgirl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:42 am

of course not, who has that name??????? :D Good luck tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I just can't help it. Cannot stop thinking about it. Hopefully, I can relax during the break. See you next friday at the party!!!