really bad pgre scores, question?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

happymonkey

really bad pgre scores, question?

Post by happymonkey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi I failed miserably at the Nov 8th pgre weighing in at a wopping 640 - 42%.
Does anyone know if I have a chance at getting into physics grad. school of a
similar strength as UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz - I'm a citizen of California? I
am opting for theory in either cosmology or HEP. I am also wondering what my
chances are for weaker programs like Hawaii etc.. I just earned an M.S. with
a 4.0gpa and had a 780Q/660V on the gen. gre.

I'm a domestic "white male" student and if possible I don't want to spend another year
waisting away but if I won't have a chance at getting into this sort of grad.
program then I guess I will. I am almost 30 and can wait another decade if I
need to - I know sounds bad - but at least I have patience :). Thanks for
reading.

gliese876d

Re: really bad pgre scores, question?

Post by gliese876d » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:46 am

I mean this mostly in jest, but I have very little sympathy for you: I did a even worse on the PGRE and I'm 31. I think it would be good to add some safety schools in there, and assure you have good letters, but with an MS and that kind of GPA, I would imagine you'll be getting some offers. Just be patient....

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 am

Theory usually means they are looking for high GRE... might want to go the masters route

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 am

thanks gliese876d, we'll do it :). I'm just disapointed in myself a lot, but I don't have time to be too disapointed, life moves on and I must also. Best of luck

Helio was that a joke? I already have an MS - unfortunately. BA Philosophy -> MS Physics. No the only way is PhD or bust and seemingly it's Hawaii or worse :(, but it's not so bad, I'll get over it.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:58 am

happymonkey wrote:thanks gliese876d, we'll do it :). I'm just disapointed in myself a lot, but I don't have time to be too disapointed, life moves on and I must also. Best of luck

Helio was that a joke? I already have an MS - unfortunately. BA Philosophy -> MS Physics. No the only way is PhD or bust and seemingly it's Hawaii or worse :(, but it's not so bad, I'll get over it.

did not read that line sry... i dunno from what i saw from last year a guy with a 590 got into Hawaii for theory. i mean it is a good program, just depends on the research experience. they really seem out for that on the island. how about you apply for experiment and then switch to theory

Juston

Post by Juston » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:12 am

You can always find something to do for a year and take it again. I got a 600 a year ago and I raised my score to a 740 this year.

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:22 am

Helio wrote:did not read that line sry... i dunno from what i saw from last year a guy with a 590 got into Hawaii for theory. i mean it is a good program, just depends on the research experience. they really seem out for that on the island. how about you apply for experiment and then switch to theory
Perhaps some schools I will apply for experimental. I guess I'm going to apply to a few more than I bargained for hopefully the law of probability will help, and I'll be admitted to one.

Ya Juston if I don't get into any where this go around that is exactly what I will do. I'm not a quitter and I know physics is for me.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 am

I got 700 on oct18 and I will apply for pretty much what you say too. Not so much hope I guess, but I will try. :(

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Hypernova wrote:I got 700 on oct18 and I will apply for pretty much what you say too. Not so much hope I guess, but I will try. :(
Got the same, as long as you have research experience you have a chance at some places.... like hawaii