Preparation advice on the main site

Grant
site admin

Preparation advice on the main site

Post by Grant » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:33 am

I just wanted to mention the preparation advice that already exists on the main site:
Main Preparation Advice Page
Please use this thread comment about what is written there.

Imaginary_Friend

References to Other Opinions

Post by Imaginary_Friend » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:21 am

Hi Grant,
In the preparating advice page on the main site you reference a page about various opinions, thoughts, and suggestions pertaining to the Physics GRE. Anyway, how did you determine what sites to link to on that "other opinions page".

Grant
site admin

answer to Imaginary_Friend's question

Post by Grant » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:41 am

Hi Imaginary_Friend,

Basically I looked everywhere I could think of to find relevant information about the Physcis GRE on the Web and those were the sites that I found. If anybody knows of any other relavant sites to link to then please post it in the forums and/or send me a private message (i.e. click the "pm" icon below).

mechanicsbook

Physics problems

Post by mechanicsbook » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:46 am

Are you interested about Mechanics problems ? try this http://www.mechanics-book.net
Can you tell me (if you will visit the site and see sample problems) to what level is possible to be adessed? I mean high school , Physics faculty Mechanics faculty in USA? Thank you.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:30 am

Hey mechanicsbook,

I liked your sample problems. I would say that those are at the undergraduate level. They are probably too advanced for for the Freshman introductory physics classes but probably medium difficulty homework problems for a Junior level classical mechancis course at most american universities. They are the kinds of problems kind you might see on a midterm exam in a class that uses Marion & Thronton.

They are probably a bit involved for the physics gre but if you simplified them a bit and also made them multiple-choice then they could be pretty representative of physics gre type mechanics problems.

dsaqwert

Post by dsaqwert » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:10 am

can anyone confirm this,
the last question of the sample questions in mechanicsbook's post doesn't have a solution. i reckon;

a=g*k/(k+1)*{1+2*f*(H+h)/(H-h)}

mechanicsbook

answer

Post by mechanicsbook » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:11 am

In bref I can observe the following steps :
1)energetical consideration concerning the follow down of the body
2)the inellastic colision is as a matter of fact only in the vertical direction (normal direction )
3)Just before it the body has the mouvies , vertical-rectangular and circular around point " D " So there is near weight and tension a centrifugal force on it
Thank you , keep in touch,
Mechanicsbook