taking gres twice

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

johndavidjackson

taking gres twice

Post by johndavidjackson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:39 pm

After taking the October exam, I messed up pretty bad so I think I'm going to take the November one. I didnt cancel this exam, but what do grad schools think about having taken two exams? Hypothetically the second exam having 50-90 points higher than the one before?

michael879

Re: taking gres twice

Post by michael879 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm

As far as I know only your higher score is reported to grad schools. However, i think your too late for the november exam. The late registration deadline was a few weeks ago (which is total bs I know, I had to pay for 2 tests just in case I screwed the first one up..).

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Both scores will be reported, there's no hiding a bad score unless you cancel it after the test. Though from what I've heard, if the second score is good, most schools will not care that the first one is bad.

Although the deadline for registering for the November test has passed, I think you can still walk-in on the test day, and if they have the capacity you can take the test.

johndavidjackson

Post by johndavidjackson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:15 pm

could someone else confirm that grad schools will disregard the first test if the second test is better? I should have canceled the exam but I made the mistake of sending it in to see what i got.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:46 am

If you report your scores, scores from all the tests including both GENRAL and Subject that you had taken before will be reported. and I know that not only do schools regard the better score but also this improvement is the sign of how hardworking a student is.

duck85

Post by duck85 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:00 am

Say you're applying to a bunch of schools, some of which REQUIRE the PGRE and other who just recommend it. You take the test and don't do too well, but you send it to those schools which require it. Do the schools you did not send it to have access to the scores as well? i.e. if you send your General GRE scores to all schools, will they all have access to all your scores (GRE and PGRE)?
thanks

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 am

As far as I can recall all of your scores for all the tests that you took for which scores are available show up on your ETS score report.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 am

@ duck85
I think you can request that the General GRE scores are reported without the Subject GRE scores. According to the ETS website:
Cumulative Reporting (Score Retention)

* GRE score reporting is cumulative. Current GRE Board policy states that your scores are retained for the 5 testing years following the testing year in which you tested.
* All scores earned during this time will be reported to each institution you designate.
* You may choose to send only General Test scores, only Subject Test scores, only stand-alone Analytical Writing or Writing Assessment scores, or any combination of the above, but you may not choose to have only those scores from a specific test date reported.
* Your score report will indicate your designated recipients and your cumulative record reported at that time. However, your designated recipients will not receive information concerning the other score recipients you have chosen.