Fall semester graduation question

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Toby

Fall semester graduation question

Post by Toby » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm currently in my third year as an undergraduate but i'm planning on graduating during the fall semester of 2009 and i'd like to attend grad school immediately after. I've heard from a few people that it's much more difficult to get into grad school and get a position as a GSA/fellowship etc.. if you're applying for the spring semester as opposed to the standard fall semester, so would it be worthwhile to take a semester off and apply to grad school for the fall 2010 semester? And if that was the case, when would be an ideal time to take the GRE and apply to schools then?

Thanks for all your help!
Toby

monocles

Re: Fall semester graduation question

Post by monocles » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 am

It would be worthwhile to wait until you can apply for the fall; many schools don't accept applications for the spring at all.

noojens

Post by noojens » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 am

Or, if you get admitted in the spring, most schools won't have funding for you.

Moving to your grad school in the spring semester and getting a head start on research might be an option (if you already know who your advisor will be), but starting as a full-time grad student in the spring semester is pretty rare, as far as I know.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:19 pm

noojens wrote:Or, if you get admitted in the spring, most schools won't have funding for you.

Moving to your grad school in the spring semester and getting a head start on research might be an option (if you already know who your advisor will be), but starting as a full-time grad student in the spring semester is pretty rare, as far as I know.
i know a guy who did this and got in with fellowship. ask your professors and see who they know and what strings they can pull