grad schools near indianapolis

aditi405

grad schools near indianapolis

Post by aditi405 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:16 am

can some one please suggest some grad schools near indianapolis? needn't be top notch and i am looking for grad schools that are not more than 3-4 hrs by road from indianapolis. i know of iupui and purdue. i need to finalise my list of schools so it's urgent. thanx in advance.

Unnatural Log

Re: grad schools near indianapolis

Post by Unnatural Log » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:34 am

Well, I think everything in Indiana is within a 3 hour radius of Indianapolis - so take a look at Notre Dame and Indiana University (IU is really close).

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:55 pm

UIUC is within 2 hours

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:35 pm

Just some off the top of my head that others haven't mentioned...

To the west, Wash U in St. Louis. To the north west, U Chicago and Northwestern are both in range (as are other schools near Chicago). To the north: U Michigan (Ann Arbor) and Michigan State (East Lansing, MI) are probably just at the edge of your search radius. To the east, Ohio State (Columbus, OH). I'm less familiar with schools to the south -- I think the University of Kentucky (Lexington) has a physics grad program. There's probably something in Cincinnati.

You've got plenty of options, including several top notch ones (U Chicago and UIUC probably top the list -- but it depends on what you want to do).

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:15 am

thanx u all. this info's very useful for me. i checked their websites including those of the 'top notch' ones :wink: . U of Chicago requires advanced physics gre. i checked ets website but cudn't find nething on this. i thought just PGre would be enough.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:46 am

aditi405 wrote:thanx u all. this info's very useful for me. i checked their websites including those of the 'top notch' ones :wink: . U of Chicago requires advanced physics gre. i checked ets website but cudn't find nething on this. i thought just PGre would be enough.

advanced physics gre = PGRE

doom

Post by doom » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:31 pm

I'll add my thoughts, since I'm from Indianapolis.

UIUC is 2 hours away, and a top-notch program. UChicago is a top-notch program, 3.5 hours away with typical traffic. IU is just over an hour away, as is Purdue, and Ohio State is about three. Those programs are both near top-25, depending on whose list you use. Notre Dame is 2.5 hours away, Northwestern is probably 4-4.5 hours, and those schools are pretty good. Michigan and Michigan St. are about 4 hours away. Michigan is top-notch, and State is pretty good, too.

Lower-ranked schools with Ph.D. programs include University of Cincinnati, IUPUI, University of Illinois-Chicago. I did some summer research at IUPUI during high school. It's a pretty small department, but there are some nice professors there who do interesting stuff. For these smaller programs, you definitely want to make sure that you contact professors ahead of time to make sure there's someone there you'd like to work with.