Research Experience

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

michael879

Research Experience

Post by michael879 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:34 pm

hey, I have two questions about research experience in applying to physics graduate school.

1) How important is it? I have about a 3.5/3.7 GPA (total/physics), but its been improving every semester, and I should be able to get at least somewhere in the 900s on the GRE (Im getting 800s right now but there are a large number of questions on subjects I barely remember). How much is it going to hurt me that I dont have any research experience?

2) I was a double major between CS and physics until the end of last year when I realized it would actually be easier for me to get a masters in CS instead of the BS. Ill be getting the masters at the same time I get my Physics BS (end of senior year) and I was wondering if this would help me at all in applying to grad school? It seems to me like it might, but I could also see it hurting me or having no effect.

thanks in advance.

michael879

Re: Research Experience

Post by michael879 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:43 pm

I have another similar question: would taking another subject gre in addition to physics help at all? I took a past CS gre just to see how I would do and got an 840/900 without any type of prep, and I was considering taking the math GRE anyway to win a bet. Does anyone know if either of these would look good on a physics grad school application?

G01

Post by G01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:47 pm

michael879 wrote:I have another similar question: would taking another subject gre in addition to physics help at all? I took a past CS gre just to see how I would do and got an 840/900 without any type of prep, and I was considering taking the math GRE anyway to win a bet. Does anyone know if either of these would look good on a physics grad school application?

If your planning on physics grad school you should take the Physics subject test, not CS or Math. There is a reason they have a separate subject test for physics. Don't assume grad schools will let you substitute another subject test for the PGRE, because they probably won't.

michael879

Post by michael879 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:34 pm

G01 wrote:
michael879 wrote:another subject gre in addition to physics
I was asking if additional gre scores would help. I was considering taking both CS and math anyway (CS as a backup and math to win a bet), but if it would help me in applying to grad school Id be a lot more willing to.