i have doubts regarding gre general test

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

aditi405

i have doubts regarding gre general test

Post by aditi405 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 am

hi,
I've been preparing for physics gre which is in november. nd the general test is in october. i just looked at the quantitative section. while the 'topics' for math include probability, straight lines etc the sample questions given on the gre website are very very elementary. i'm really confused and nervous. can someone please help me out? my friends who have taken the exam said it's very very tough but then they're biology students so i'm kinda confused. what do i need to prepare for nd where can i get previous years' qs papers from?

trani

Re: i have doubts regarding gre general test

Post by trani » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:54 pm

I am assuming that you are taking the computer-based test...

You are correct, the questions in the general test quantitative section are truly basic. Most physics programs expect your score to be close to 800, which is the maximum.

You can go to this link:

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menu ... f95190RCRD

which is just the official ETS website and download the PowerPREP software. It is a program that you can install and then take a practice test, which should be as close to the real test as it gets. There are also other preparation resources on the same page.

The general test has this strange algorithm of selecting problems.The basic idea is that the more you answer correctly the harder the problems get. Conversely, if you answer wrong to a question, it gives you an easier one next.

Bottom line is that even the hardest problems in the quantitative section should be pretty easy. Just practice being able to finish it fast, of course, not at the expense of making lots of miscalculations.

Remember that once you answer a question you cannot go back and change your answer (as opposed to the PGRE).

Good luck!

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:51 pm

thanks trani. i had downloaded the powerprep but was confused because when i saw 'circles' and '3d' figures on the topics list i had expected questions on ellipse nd hyperbola and such relatively tougher topics. then i took the prcatice test and was taken aback. i did hear about the format of the test as in the qs getting tougher as one answers a question correctly but can u give me an example of what a v.tough qsand relatively easy qs look like? also will downloading the grebible software be helpful? ne one heard of it?

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:31 pm

Most physics folks I know (myself included) took the general GRE cold -- no studying. The math isn't terribly difficult. I wouldn't sweat about it.

trani

Post by trani » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm

i took the prcatice test and was taken aback.
So you took the entire test? Did you get a good score. (The program tells you in the end.) If it is good then you don't need to worry any further. Just do the other practice test and also you an download from that same link the sample paper based test and use that for practice too.
what a v.tough qsand relatively easy qs look like
Umm... honestly, I can't really tell which ones are hard or easy... They all seem pretty much the same to me...
I got 760 the first time I took it (at home) cause I forgot to track my time carefully, so I ran out of time. I haven't taken another one yet.
downloading the grebible software be helpful?
I have never heard of it... But unless your quantitative score is seriously low you probably don't need it.

Honestly, your time will probably be better spent studying for the physics GRE. Hope you have started on that!

Have you checked out the thread with the 2008 applicant profiles?! That will give you an idea of what people get.

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 am

i am so dead

trani

Post by trani » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Whatever your starting point is, panicing is not gonna help. Practice will. I guess if you are so worried you should get that grebible to build some confidence and speed.

Good luck,
trani

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:09 am

thanks trani. i think ill just focus on PGRE. is solving the problems at the end of each chapter of halliday resnick enough preparation for pgre? what all did u study?

trani

Post by trani » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 pm

You should take a look at this thread. I am pretty much following what it says:

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1057

Solving every problem in Halliday and REsnik might take more time than you have left... Besides I am not sure how useful it is, since you are trying to develop speed. The problems there have too much calculations. But if you feel that some topic is a particularly weak spot for you. You might do a few problems on that topic from the textbook. Also just do a quick general review.

Have you taken the 4 sample tests, if not make sure you do them simulating real test conditions.

G01

Post by G01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 pm

I got a 730 on the general quantitative. (Work slow and ran out of time.)

I have been told this doesn't matter, since as long as your above 700, grad schools really won't care about this score.

I think I should spend my time studying for the physics GRE instead of worrying about the quantitative score. My reasoning is that if I do well on the PGRE, then they should know I'm able to do any question that would appear of the Quantitative test.

Do you guys agree?

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi GO1,
from what i've heard from others a GRE general score of above 700 is fine as long as ur pgre scores are excellent. but then again one can never predict what the admission guys are looking for. unless u have vvv good research experience it would be safer to score as much as u can in both the tests, with more emphasis on pgre