What departments to apply to?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Helio

What departments to apply to?

Post by Helio » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi guys,

I have gotten my list together already.... I am just in the limbo about what department to apply to at a couple schools because of my research background (solar physics). I have been working on the same old project for nearly 2.5 years now and had a summer stint in condensed matter and in particle physics. The condensed matter was living hell (now there is 1 grad student left in an experimental group), but the particle physics got me option to do my master's in germany and rec.

I am currently thinking about applying to OSU and U. of Colorado Boulder for either physics or astronomy. I am not sure which one at which school. OSU Physics as the advantage of their astroparticle group and research center, while the astro department has the 25% of the LBT. Boulder physics has just some gravity theory, but i am sure if the nuclear physics may be interesting too. The APS department has a solar physics faculty member and i am working with modified code of theirs, but my research advisor says the faculty member and him aren't the best friends.

Does anybody have any information about these departments, so I can see where my chances are better?

Other stats that might be of interested:
GPA: 3.73 overall 3.75 Physics (that is with math courses, without 3.8)
PGRE: Oct 18th
GRE: Nov 8th (I didn't have time this summer to take it because of research.. shouldn't hurt too much)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Helio