Just took the General GRE

a bucket

Just took the General GRE

Post by a bucket » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:19 am

Finally I'm done with with that annoying test! Now I just have to wait for the PGRE. The weirdest thing on the General GRE was that I had been consistently getting ~600 on the verbal on the ETS practice tests.... and then got 480 on the verbal on the actual test. For a moment my facial expression was a superposition of :shock: , :? and :?:

G01

Re: Just took the General GRE

Post by G01 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:15 am

a bucket wrote:Finally I'm done with with that annoying test! Now I just have to wait for the PGRE. The weirdest thing on the General GRE was that I had been consistently getting ~600 on the verbal on the ETS practice tests.... and then got 480 on the verbal on the actual test. For a moment my facial expression was a superposition of :shock: , :? and :?:
I had a similar experience when I took the test. I was expecting verbal scores of around 650, but I only got 560 on the actual test.

On the math I was expecting 790 to 800, but I only got 730 (No idea what happened.)

It seems to me that we were both taken by surprise with the computer adaptive nature of the real thing.

I wouldn't really worry too much about your verbal score, either. I have also heard that as long as you are above 700 on the quantitative, it doesn't really matter how high of a score you get. I hope this is true. Otherwise I guess I should retake it? I think my time is better spent preparing for the PGRE rather than retaking the general. You guys agree?

And, yes, I'm a new member! It must be that time of year again!