Tuition and Stipend

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astrofan

Tuition and Stipend

Post by astrofan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi

I have a simple question about grad school.

I thought the way it worked with physics & astronomy PHD students is that tutition was waived and then you were issued a stipend. Thus, the stipend is low, but at least you don't have to pay any Tuition. This is how it usually works, correct?

The reason I ask is that I was looking at New Mexico State's website for astronomy. It says, in their FAQ, that tuition is $1,900 a semester; 3800 a year is a lot of money if you are making under $20k. I then went back to gradschoolshopper pdfs and realized that a lot of schools don't say Tuition is waived (Hawaii, for example, is one of the few schools that says specifically that they do). So, I am not sure anymore.

blueeverest

Re: Tuition and Stipend

Post by blueeverest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 pm

Unless specified, tuition is waived. That's how it works at many universities. I can't imagine paying for grad school.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 pm

That is what I thought, what are they doing at New Mexico State

monocles

Post by monocles » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:45 am

Not all graduate programs waive tuition. The vast majority of physics programs do, though. Humanities graduate programs, for example, often do not waive tuition. New Mexico State is probably listing tuition for non-science/engineering PhDs. I could be wrong though. I actually live in Las Cruces (or rather, my parents do), and I've seen New Mexico State advertising on television there, the only public school I've ever seen advertise on television period (and I've lived in a lot of different places). Take that as you will.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:00 pm

monocles wrote:the only public school I've ever seen advertise on television period
Penn State does (and not just during college football games -- which is where you see lots of advertisments).

monocles

Post by monocles » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:55 am

Well, in my defense I hardly ever watch TV :oops:

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:48 pm

monocles wrote:Well, in my defense I hardly ever watch TV :oops:
There's no shame in that.

Karatechop250

Post by Karatechop250 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:15 pm

As long as you still watch wrestling and muddin well still love you.