ADVICE

bluefire

ADVICE

Post by bluefire » Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 am

Hi all. I was wondering when is the best time to start studying for the physics GRE?

bourbaki

Post by bourbaki » Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 am

It completely depends on your current knowledge.
If you have studied physics enough, all you have to do is to go through past exams (four are available), so two or three weeks of study before the exam is sufficient.

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Wed May 03, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks. But, here's my "problem". Due to unforeseen circumstances, all or most of the material that is covered on the GRE, I would have covered by the end of next year. Is that good, or bad? I plan to take the April test date. I am hoping I don't have a lot of schoolwork to do at the end of March. That is my fear, that due to the schoolwork I may have, I may not have enough time to study for the GRE.

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Wed May 03, 2006 6:58 pm

when you say most of the material, what level classes are you talking about? Are you in your senior year? What will you have already taken by then?

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Fri May 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Next year, I have to take a year of quantum mechanics, a semester of advanced mechanics, a year of electricity and magnetism, and a semester course in mathematical physics(mathematical methods for physicists), for my physics coursework. I already have thermodynamics. The advanced material such as advanced Quantum Mechanics, Advanced E&M, and Statistical Thermodynamics will have to wait until first semester of senior year.

By the way, I will be a junior next year.