yosofun?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

witten_high_pitch_voice

yosofun?

Post by witten_high_pitch_voice » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:54 am

since you didn't get into anywhere what's your plan for now?

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:31 pm

witten_high_pitch_voice

k

Post by witten_high_pitch_voice » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:13 pm

thanks for the link, yosofun's spokesperson ; )

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:19 pm

but seriously, though, some people advise that i take a 5th year and complete my 2nd major, then apply seriously (i.e., to a list of safe backup schools).

but, i won't do that. the more i consider grad school, the more boring i find the endeavor... and, i shudder whenever i "envision" myself as a professor fighting through some illegit tenure system. so, both grad school and its end result aren't my style...

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Just out of curiosity what would your second major have been?

yosofun

back-ish...

Post by yosofun » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 pm

fyi: before i dropped out, i was a triple major in physics, bioengineering, and philosophy. with an extra year, i can definitely complete at least 2 majors. but, school's le shiet..

in short, i got into a fist fight with my college provost. it turned out that my fight club skills didn't hold against her shaolin kung fu, and i got pwnned. suxxors...

lol jk. so seriously, now...

right now i'm working as a freelance media developer. the paycheck is only about $100/hour, but it's not that bad. the point is that i really need to take time away from physics. it's a bad obssession, as the only way i can really learn it is to lock myself in some dark cloister and spend my whole day doing problem sets like crazy (undisturbed!). and there are more interesting things to get obssessed about:

i'm currently pursuing, perhaps, the "major" i should have taken (English Literature). under the pen name of Jack Hunter, i'm writing an urban fantasy novel and developing an Web 2.0-powered Flash cartoon series entitled Centaurina (dev site: http://eva.auzen.com)...

i guess i should also admit that in addition to the stuff i'm doing for pure fun, i am also planning on writing some real literature.

under the same pen name, i placed quarter finalist in the Writers of the Future Contest a couple of months ago. (ironically, it was with the story i spent the time i should have spent on my grad app writing.)

as for GREPhysics.NET ... i do plan on updating it, eventually... possibly even posting The GRE Physics Textbook, which I started writing about six months ago, but never posted.

well, that's the update for now... sorry for the long post -- i probably won't be back on this forum again for another six months or so. hopefully what's here will quench your curiosity until then.

ttyl!