High Energy Theorists, Unite!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

doom

High Energy Theorists, Unite!

Post by doom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:19 am

The astro people started their own thread, so I figured I could make one for us. :D

Someone pointed out that there weren't many admissions posted for people in high energy theory. Well, where have you gotten in?

There's a lot of condensed matter people on this forum, including most of the big posters, it seems, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to us.

I hope all high-energy theory people at least check in, even if this is your first post.

doom

Post by doom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:20 am

To kick things off, I have been accepted to Ohio State and Indiana, my backups.

I am still waiting to hear from Minnesota, Washington, Michigan, and Maryland. That order roughly matches how much I like each school.

mrclean

Post by mrclean » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:30 am

I've been accepted to UCSD and UT Austin. Still waiting to hear from Princeton, Cornell, Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley, and UIUC.

(Note: I'm HEP experiment, but close enough)

hg

Post by hg » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:56 am

I haven't heard from anyone!

Mindaugas

Post by Mindaugas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:09 am

No replies from any universities, I am international student.

randn(1)

Post by randn(1) » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:03 am

Accepted at UT Austin. Still waiting to hear from my other 8, including all of my top ranked schools.

xdebugger

Post by xdebugger » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 pm

particle theory rocks!
I'm accepted at UCSB, MIT and etc... Still waiting for 5 schools.

doom

Post by doom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:57 pm

xdebugger, would you mind sharing what you mean by "etc."? What other schools have you gotten into? Where are you waiting to hear from?

I just think it would be nice to know if everyone else in HEP is still waiting to hear from the same schools or whatever.

Oh yeah, and everyone should post on the Profiles thread, if you haven't already done so!

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:11 pm

xdebugger, I do not see ur profile on the profile thread! I guess you shud hurry up and post your profile.

xdebugger

Post by xdebugger » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:42 pm

aight... i just posted my stats...
I always have the uneasy feeling that somebody I know is reading my posts... which is probably true considering the popularity of this forum.

twistor

Post by twistor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 am

Yes, we are watching you....

landau007

Post by landau007 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:13 am

International guy, accepted to MIT, waiting news from Princeton, Harvard, Duke and Rutgers.

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:38 am

Particle theory applicatnt here. I was debating whether to go to Condensed Matter theory since that is what one of professors is and he is absolutely amazing. Anywho, I don't know what else to say.... :lol:

Karatechop250

Post by Karatechop250 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:23 pm

Particle Theory Applicant. I applied to University of Alabama for particle theory. My other two applications were for graviation.

brothermalcolm

Re: High Energy Theorists, Unite!

Post by brothermalcolm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 pm

international applicant (from UK) who wants particle theory for phd (particle theory already for most of my current year)
two phd offers so far from Purdue and Ohio State , both with TA
waiting on a few other schools but already very happy about the situation :D

doom

Post by doom » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:58 pm

brothermalcolm,

You might want to check out my latest blog posts about my visit to OSU

doom

Post by doom » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 am

Since this thread was revived, I might as well use it.

If anyone read zxcv's post about his visit to Washington, you'll see he heard some bad things about their high energy theory group. I was wondering if anyone else who visited had some info to either reinforce or to counter what he said.

I'll be visiting there in a few weeks, and I'd like some info going in.

myass

Post by myass » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:05 am

congrats to those who have been accepted to HE theory programs. HE physics is suffering from huge budget cut happened in this January.... I personally know some profs in top institutionS and they cut list of students because of this. In those institutions (and I think in most institutions), HE physics slots are 1/2 to 1/3 of condensed matter with approximately comparable number of applicants. Theory got, sadly, far less funding compared to experiment. You guys are fantastic, and hope cooperation between theory/experiment bring the glory of particle physics to our future!

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:11 am

I did hear some bad things about high energy theory at Washington, but I bet that's true about high energy theory in general :). It's no secret that it's one of the hardest fields to get into, to get funded in, and to get a job in.

I also heard at the visiting weekend that of the four graduates in high energy theory this year from UW, two got post-docs. The other two are apparently dragging out their graduate work for another year and hoping for better job prospects later.

I do wish you guys the best of luck, though. If that's what you're into, it's what you have to go for. Someone will always beat the long odds, and it could be you. I guess that's what we all hope for with careers in academia.

myass

Post by myass » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:33 am

If the bad news is about job prospect for high energy theorist, then that's like everyone knows, right?

It also depends; string theory and phenomenology have totally different job prospects. There are other kinds of theorists in high energy who are specialized in hot experimental topics; they join experiments to be an advisor. Thesedays theorists also do data analysis and construction of new models using experimental data. Those who work for LHC might have more opportunities in future if any positive evidence of higgs comes out. Although ILC is shutting down right now, if any positive result toward the existence of higgs come out, then some kind of linear accelerator using electrons (less power loss since linear and clean since lepton) should come out, and theorists will have more work to do.

Neutrinos also give more insights in particle theory. Neutrino experiments have a huge potential to break down satturated theories about physics beyond standard model. Once clarification of Majoranara/Dirac neutrino, absolute mass scale, mass hierarchy, and completion of neutrino matrix is over, there should be more assignments for theorists.

In addition, I heard there would be a new theory institute in the East coast which involve many institutions there. There is new theory institute (IMPU) in Japan in which many international scholars participate (some high energy theory grad students in Berkeley moved there with their advisor, Professor Hitoshi, and will involve more institutions).

It's true that the field is competitive, but I hope all high energy physicists make effort and contribution to our field. The field needs more momentum to go forward, I think.

doom

Post by doom » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:04 am

@zxcv,

Yeah, it's true that theorists (at least in HEP) have a harder time getting funding. At Ohio State, this usually means a third year of TA. But I guess it kinda balances out with the fact that we graduate in five years usually. :D

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:31 am

And that is why I'm going into condensed matter (or quantum info) theory... quick graduation and you get funded.

SuperStringBoy

Post by SuperStringBoy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Yes i am watching you... but i hope to apply after two yrs after completing my Bsc in Physics major. Thanks for starting this thread.

String Theory Group
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/stringtheorygroup/

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Reviving this thread after more than 6 years! Mostly because moral support would be nice. =)