FALL 2008 acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

jdhooghe

Re: FALL 2008 acceptances

Post by jdhooghe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:32 am

Congrats lupin! :D

jburkart

Post by jburkart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:55 am

still waiting for cornelllllllll. accept meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pleeeeeaaaseplzplzozpzljlkdsaf

donkey

Post by donkey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 am

jdhooghe wrote:I did not have safties or reaches because I honestly did not know what they were looking for. The only thing that I do know is that because of my inability to stand, or care for that matter, general education courses and my severe test anxiety the top schools were out of my league. For the last five years, I have sacrificed any semblance of a social life and worked INCREDIBLY hard to do well. I continually have to struggle against my *** family's podunk genes but ALWAYS end up winning in the end. I think that shows, most of all, my devotion to physics. I pride myself on being at the top of my class in both understanding of the material and grades in my physics classes. That, apparently, is not enough though. I did not get accepted to any of the seven REUs I applied to last summer, hell, I was even contacted by a university that was extremely interested in my profile and still turned down. I am a very, very humble person and I am never comfortable making myself look better than the other applicants and I think that comes across in my statements as unconfidence. Are most people applying to my schools smarter than me? Probably. But I sure as hell have one of the strongest work ethics ever. I am sorry for sounding angry but I feel that the world has continually been shitting on me since I've started down this career path. I know most internationals see this as an "Oh poor american baby" post and I feel extremely lucky to have an education here but right now, I feel hopeless.
Hey man, I pulling for you over here.

jburkart

Post by jburkart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:08 am

donkey wrote:Hey man, I pulling for you over here.
@jdhooghe: totally likewise. sounds like you had a string of unfortunate events this year. consider working for a year and reapplying, if something favorable doesn't work out? that's what my buddy is doing. could retake some tests, replace that recommender (read your blog, haha, stalkage) for someone worth a damn, get some more research under your belt? you deserve better

p.s. i got rejected from all my REUs last summer too, like 6 or something. it's all a crap shoot

excel

Post by excel » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:25 am

I really do hope that everyone's hard work pays off. I'm sorry again for making that a "woe is me" post.
@jdhooghe:
maybe, in early april, u can contact the admission chair at some ~50-100 ranked physics programs with a copy of ur cv and transcript? a spot may be open somewhere for all you know.

i can readily imagine how maddening it would be when a prof does not come good on his promise to write a letter of recommendation...as happened in ur case. In order to avert that possibility, i applied to a program with an early deadline (dec 1)...as a kind of mock application...to make sure that my recommenders complete my letter in good time and i have a working draft of my sop in good time. Maybe next year's applicants can use a similar strategy.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:54 am

excel wrote:
I really do hope that everyone's hard work pays off. I'm sorry again for making that a "woe is me" post.
@jdhooghe:
maybe, in early april, u can contact the admission chair at some ~50-100 ranked physics programs with a copy of ur cv and transcript? a spot may be open somewhere for all you know.

i can readily imagine how maddening it would be when a prof does not come good on his promise to write a letter of recommendation...as happened in ur case. In order to avert that possibility, i applied to a program with an early deadline (dec 1)...as a kind of mock application...to make sure that my recommenders complete my letter in good time and i have a working draft of my sop in good time. Maybe next year's applicants can use a similar strategy.
This is completely correct. In early April, jdhooghe, if you haven't heard, contact the admissions chairs at the schools ranked 20-100, with your CV, and ask if there is any room. Some places find out fairly late that their yield is much lower than they want. I know of one school in that range that wanted 10-12 students last year and on April 10th, it looked as if they would get 8. So they put a note on the USTC bulletin board in China, and easily got a bunch of very quick applications--they took 2 of them. I suspect that if that school was in the same situation and heard from you on April 10th, you'd have a pretty decent chance. (That school is ranked around 50-60 in most surveys, and no, I won't say who they are). My own school would do the same if it looked as if we would run short (doesn't look like it this year, though). So don't give up.

celts

Post by celts » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:20 am

@excel

That mock application idea is BRILLIANT! I should have been doing that all my life. I'll remember it for the future!

stardote

Post by stardote » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:48 pm

In case I didn't get accepted anywhere, or else couldn't go because I'm dealing with the two-body problem, I was going to call the schools that I applied to and see if I could attend classes and register as a non-matriculated student. In other words, I just wouldn't be enrolled in a PhD program; then perhaps I could impress someone in the department and get a recommendation from within the department for an application next year. If that doesn't work, I could always try and have those classes count somewhere else. Hopefully, then I wouldn't fall behind a year or forget too much.

Or, job...paying off some student loans would feel pretty good.

But I like the idea of calling schools in April. In that case, would I need to go through the application process there and have scores and recommendations sent there? Could I call a school that I was not accepted to? That would seem weird, so prob'ly not.

celts

Post by celts » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:04 pm

That seems like a good idea. Does that really work?

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:26 pm

celts wrote:That seems like a good idea. Does that really work?
It does if you work hard. That's basically what I did. Right out of undergrad I applied to schools (and no safeties, for some dumb reason) and got rejected by all. So I talked to my advisers and I went to my Plan B: I enrolled in a master's program in physics at a local state school and supplemented it with a few courses from a nearby top 30 school (through what's usually called an "Extension" program). This shows the admissions committee you can handle the rigors of graduate courses at a competitive school. In the master's program I also got to work as a TA for 2 years which really improved my GRE score and gave me teaching experience, and I got to do some research. So this time around when I applied, I got to write in my personal statement what I have been doing since last applying, i.e. improving my candidacy by showing I can get straight As in graduate courses. And for the most part it's worked -- I got into 2/3 of my top choices, and 7/10 overall so far.

So anyone who doesn't get into schools, you shouldn't feel down. I know exactly how you feel. You just got to do a little extra to show the committee you are a "sure"-thing.

*EDIT: However, I should point out that this Plan B of mine requires 2 years + your own money, since Master's degrees aren't usually funded. So that's the caveat.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 pm

stardote wrote: But I like the idea of calling schools in April. In that case, would I need to go through the application process there and have scores and recommendations sent there? Could I call a school that I was not accepted to? That would seem weird, so prob'ly not.
I wouldn't call a school that has already rejected you. And yes, you would need to go through the application process and have everything sent. So you should have your GRE's and transcripts scanned and ready to e-mail, plus have your letterwriters ready to email their letters, and be ready to quickly fill out the application form as soon as they indicate strong interest. Hopefully, it would take a couple of hours. But you should also have a page giving all of the basics which you can send with your introductory email...

Often they won't be able to make it "official" until official documents are received from the ETS and your school, but they can usually proceed anyway.

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:50 pm

Boston University - 3/6 by e-mail

With a considerably larger stipend than I have previously been offered. Nice.

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:24 pm

So apparently tomorrow is the big day for us Davis applicants if multigoal was given valid information. I'll try to get a hold of my inside source to see if he has heard anything yet...

donkey

Post by donkey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:08 pm

LucasWillis wrote:Just got accepted to University of Maryland. Unfortunately, they didn't mention JQI fellowship, just a TA, so I suppose I'll be turning down that offer pretty quickly. Did anyone else apply for JQI?
I got an email today saying I have been awarded a JQI assistantship position. This decision isn't getting any easier!

multigoal

Post by multigoal » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 am

@jdhooghe
yes today and monday are 2 big days for davis.....by the end of next week davis will release their waitlist....aparently they are keeping 20 applicants in their waitlist...

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Rawr! Where is my frickin' acceptance! I need an excuse to go drink tonight but instead I'll be doing homework...

multigoal

Post by multigoal » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:37 pm

@ jdhooghe
did u call them today?.....I think again we've to wait until monday.....huuuhhhhhhhhffffffff...

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Nah, I just have a friend that goes to Davis....he hasn't heard anything yet.

jburkart

Post by jburkart » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:10 am

i go to davis... i'll ask monday if they've still got more to send out

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:37 am

REUs are really random from my opinion... there are so many of them that nearly everyone should get one at least when you do a shot gun effect... then again what am i supposed to say when i am an international student in the US, no perm resident, just vanilla F-1.... i have found 3 internships in astronomy and astrophysics and two are really specific... going back home this summer for an internship program for us and canadian students.... way to beat the system

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Should I email my schools and ask them my status? I'm scared though :(
Last edited by jdhooghe on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

marten

Post by marten » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Should I email my schools and ask them my status? I'm a bit scared too though
So was I, I fnially emailed UMBC to ask, and got my rejection a few hours later. Another week, and the official rejection arrived via the postal service. So yeah, an email might bring news, but I don't think that it will affect the decision, you might just know a bit sooner then otherwise.

Good luck jdhooghe,

Marten

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Well I am wait-listed at Davis and Syracuse which I guess is a blessing. My other schools haven't gotten back to me yet, so we will see. At this point, I guess I should be glad that I have only been rejected by one place even if it means that I am wait-listed everywhere else... :cry:

rooibos

Post by rooibos » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:28 pm

jdhooghe wrote:Well I am wait-listed at Davis and Syracuse which I guess is a blessing. My other schools haven't gotten back to me yet, so we will see. At this point, I guess I should be glad that I have only been rejected by one place even if it means that I am wait-listed everywhere else... :cry:
Sorry :(

But hey, I'd take that sweet tenure track position at UIL if I were you :lol:

multigoal

Post by multigoal » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:29 pm

@ jdhooghe
Did Davis tell you that u r waitlisted there??....or u are guessing.....as far as I know Davis still didn't finalize their 2nd round or waitlist......

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:17 pm

I emailed both. Syracuse is also on spring break so we won't be hearing from them this week.

myass

Post by myass » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 am

Accepted to the University of Washington at Seattle at this late timing. I think it's because I submitted my application very late (1 and a half month late). I'm very happy that they kindly reviewed my application ang gave me a very good offer. Maybe someone, especially international, next year want to consider about applying for Washington even if they miss the deadline of Nov. 1st (for international).

schandre

Post by schandre » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:04 am

myass wrote:Accepted to the University of Washington at Seattle at this late timing. I think it's because I submitted my application very late (1 and a half month late). I'm very happy that they kindly reviewed my application ang gave me a very good offer. Maybe someone, especially international, next year want to consider about applying for Washington even if they miss the deadline of Nov. 1st (for international).
I'm also an international who "missed" the UW deadline by more than a month. I wasn't going to apply there until I knew I had good GRE scores. Your post just gave me some hope that I may hear from them too.

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 pm

FINALLY got an offer from purdue after drowning in a month's worth of rejection letters!
applied to hep theory, offer letter says i'll be getting a 16k TA for upto 4 years gauranteed (upgradable to 17k if i teach recitation classes), and almost full tuition reimburstment !!!
very very happy and relieved right now, thought i wasnt gonna go anywhere (7 rejections in a row before this)
should have posted on this thread as soon as i got the offer, this was actually from mar7 , and i've been maximally enjoying my last week of lectures of my undergrad degree with this great piece of news

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:07 pm

btw im also international applicant and waiting on a reply from OSU which i applied late, but im optmistic about it because their grad school emailed me today saying the OSU physics dept is ready to 'proceed with my admission to their program' and just wanted an additional form filled in by me before they can do that
so yeah seems like late apps have little or no detrimental effect on the outcome , or much less than one would expect

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Just got into Dartmouth. Yey....(sarcasm)

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Why just yay? How is it compared to other programs?

LucasWillis

Post by LucasWillis » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:07 pm

I just got an email from Stony Brook offering a nice Optics Fellowship, making this decision all the more difficult. I'm hoping the visit will clear everything up. From what I understand, I wouldn't be too excited about being at Stony Brook, although there is some really good AMO research there.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Dartmouth doesn't really have a lot of research going on. From what I've heard, they can't decide if they want to be a liberal arts college or a research university. The research they do have I'm interested in, which is why I applied.

They rank in th 50-60 range, mostly because of their name. They do have wide name recognition. I remember I told my mom I dropped CalTech from my app list and added Dartmouth. She said "Well isn't Dartmouth as good as CalTech?"
Last edited by fermiboy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:33 pm

somebody on this forum once said something like "school name is really only important for your mom and your friends' moms"
theres some truth in it now!

just got the confirmation email that i'm accepted by OSU (after declaring to them this afternoon that i've not been convicted of any criminal charges in the past) !

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:55 am

brothermalcolm wrote:somebody on this forum once said something like "school name is really only important for your mom and your friends' moms"
theres some truth in it now!
hahaha. so true. my mom and everyone are so shocked that i would even consider UIUC over Columbia. pshh.

peder

Post by peder » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 am

You're telling me. I'm getting the third degree from ALL of my family who thinks Im bonkers for even considering UCSB Physics on par with Yale Geophysics.

excel

Post by excel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:18 am

peder wrote:You're telling me. I'm getting the third degree from ALL of my family who thinks Im bonkers for even considering UCSB Physics on par with Yale Geophysics.
Oh man, I am so happy I am not the only one! :D
However, I told my family that I consider brand name to be extremely important, and in doing so convinced them that whatever grad school I pick has a strong brand name in my field, even if they think otherwise. :wink:

gatr1126

Post by gatr1126 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Woohoo, after 2 rejections (Stony Brook and Boston U), got accepted by UMass by e-mail today.

rooibos

Post by rooibos » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Congrats!

VT

Post by VT » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:29 pm

dlenmn:
Wisconsin-Madison gave me $1,000 additional fellowship, too!
Now, Brown should also give me $1,000 o/w I'm NOT goingto Brown :wink:

myass

Post by myass » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:48 pm

>VT

I declined Wisconsin's offer, but I got another $1000 too! It's really funny. This is actually 2nd time they increased the award by $1000....

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:04 pm

You're such an ass myass

multigoal

Post by multigoal » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:46 pm

@ jdhooghe
have u heard any news about Davis?......I believe they were supposed to publish some names by this weekend...

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:22 am

Sadly no, but the hope is still there.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:34 am

Looks like Wisc is giving everyone an extra $1000: "all incoming students with the TA guarantee offer will receive the Van Vleck for $1000 and the additional fellowship for $1000." The reason they haven't sent out more info is because they haven't decided what the additional $1000 fellowship will be named for each person :)

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:50 pm

I didn't think that I'd be posting on this thread again, but U Penn just accepted me. I guess that explains why they haven't rejected me... Now I actually have a choice to make. It would have been nice to have visited them.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:11 pm

wow! congrats dlenmn, that's so awesome!

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks! Better late than never.

will

Post by will » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:35 am

Turn 'em down!