Graduate school admissions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bluefire

Graduate school admissions

Post by bluefire » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi, all. How important are extracurricular activities in graduate school admissions?
According to my understanding, these are the main things that graduate schools look at:

1) GRE and GRE Physics Scores
2) Grades
3) Letters of recommendations
4) Research experience

Are extracurricular activities important?

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:15 am

I would have to say no, unless these activities somehow involve science such as outreach or something like that.

tleilax

Post by tleilax » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:28 pm

I would say minimally important as well, though if you are extensively involved in something else, even not related to science, and are still kicking ass in the important areas you listed that can't hurt you. Lots of people are very qualified, and something like that would make you stand out. It won't make up for it if you are weak in one of the 4 areas you listed though though.

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:10 pm

Thanks, all. :D