Splitting visits...

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

1420 Peach

Splitting visits...

Post by 1420 Peach » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Ok, I imagine some of you have this problem.

I am planning on visiting two schools (on opposite coasts) whose visiting days butt up against each other. It would be easier and cheaper to fly from home to the first school, then nonstop to the second school and then home again. How would this work with the two schools paying for visits? I mean you'd think they would be on board as it would be cheaper for each of them, but I have no idea how to approach them with the idea. I guess I could always email them.... I always hate hammering out the details.

Anybody else run up against this?

zxcv

Re: Splitting visits...

Post by zxcv » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Just write to person handling admissions details. I guarantee they will have no issues with this, as the entire point of visits is to help you make up your mind. If it's that much easier, you could probably even get one school to pay for the intermediate trip, and they probably won't even ask what's going on. Just say you'll be leaving from city X but you will need be in city Y on the return date.

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 pm

I agree with zxcv, I would just make sure it's okay with both schools. But I'm sure there would be no problem since you're actually saving them both money. Just save all receipts.

As an example, Columbia said they would reimburse me for travel but would welcome paying for partial cost if I also visited nearby schools.

rooibos

Post by rooibos » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 pm

christopher3.14 wrote:I agree with zxcv, I would just make sure it's okay with both schools. But I'm sure there would be no problem since you're actually saving them both money. Just save all receipts.

As an example, Columbia said they would reimburse me for travel but would welcome paying for partial cost if I also visited nearby schools.
What day is Columbia's physics weekend? Is it the same as their applied physics department, March 28th?

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:43 am

Hi roobios,

No, the open house for Physics at Columbia is March 30-31.