I had a terrible general gre experience

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

jdhooghe

I had a terrible general gre experience

Post by jdhooghe » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:35 pm

My school conducted the GRE on some really horrible computers with low refresh rates. After the first essay, I got a headache and my eyes felt really tired. I couldn't concentrate or reason well. It took its toll seeing how grad schools are going to see pretty terrible scores(V460 Q680). I felt really confident about the subject GRE, if I remember correctly, I answered 80-90 questions. So here I am asking for some advice on what to do. Should I retake the test the beginning of December? I only have one school that needs application materials by the 15th of December.

Thank you once again for your advice.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 pm

When you registered and they sent you the CD with the sample tests on them, did you take the sample tests? Did you score way better than you did on the actual test (like at least 50 pts higher in each part)? If so, then of course you should retake it! Pick a different testing center this time.

vicente

Post by vicente » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 pm

Don't forget to complain within a week of a bad test:

CBT Complaints
ETS
Mail Stop 29-Q
Princeton, NJ 08541

Fax: 1-609-771-7715

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menu ... complaints

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:57 am

Thanks, I think I will retake it. I will be sad to see my killer essays not count though. Anyway, thank you both for your responses, it takes a lot for someone to take time away from their day to do that.