M.S. to Ph.D. ?

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:14 am

M.S. to Ph.D. ?

Post by VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 am

Hello sir ,
Iam masters in physics with specialization of condesed matter physics, presently working as Assistant proffesor in Engineering college in INDIA. can i join in MS program and convert it to Phd ?

Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Post by kolahalb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 am

Still I am not master about theses things...and in fact I am an undergrad in your country itself,I wonder how is it possible to "convert" a massters degree into PhD?

User avatar
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Post by grae313 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:59 pm

The only way to obtain a Ph.D in physics in the US is to apply to a physics Ph.D. program and be accepted and complete the program.

site admin
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:55 pm

Post by Grant » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 am


Some schools offer only a M.S. program in physics with the goal of providing a basis for subsequent Ph.D. study in physics at another university. Some schools offer only a M.S. program in physics with the goal of preparing students for work in industry or for teaching physics in high school.

I recommend reading about the graduate programs offered by various schools:

Post Reply