stipend for phd?

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:14 am

stipend for phd?

Post by VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:11 am

Hello sir ,
Can i know that how much stipend will a research scholar get during his phd in physics?, can we maintain our family if we are married,
Is there eligibility for married candidates to join phd? how much the stipend will be around in dollars.??

User avatar
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Post by grae313 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:15 pm

You can see what the typical stipend was for teaching assistants and research assistants for last year's admitted students at, just search for a school, look at the .pdf document and scroll to the second page. It can be as high as $25,000 to even $35,000 at Stanford, but more typically stipends are between $15,000 and $20,000 per year. Enough to support yourself, but not really enough to support a family. They do not give you more money if you are married, your wife would have to apply and get accepted individually.

Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by baksiidaa » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:54 pm

You can also see average stipend info by going to, Graduate Education: Support. The general consensus is that a graduate stipend is enough to live comfortably, but not extravagantly. I'm married, and raising a family on what we'll be getting my first year would be tough, but pay will go up some once I get in a research group and should be enough to get by on. (It helps that we don't have any debt going in).

EducationUSA Serbia
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:55 pm

Post by EducationUSA Serbia » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:32 pm

Some schools offer F1 and J1 visas, with the spouse receiving a J2 visa and apparently being able to work during your studies. In addition, some schools have great support programs for spouses. We just had a married student go to Yale and they had a wonderful program for spouses.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply