What are the requirements to apply?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM

What are the requirements to apply?

Post by VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:55 am

Hi sir
iam working as Assisant professor in india . Iam masters in physics with speciallization of condesed matter physics and electronics.And i want to apply for phd in US , What r the requirements for that chance,

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:55 am

I notice you are having a recurring question:
http://www.physicsgre.com/forum/thread693.html
http://www.physicsgre.com/forum/thread684.html

I am hopeful that my answer to your question in this thread combined with answers the other members gave to your previous questions will help you.

Every School has their own requirements so you should visit the websites of the various schools offering graduate degrees in physics and read what their requirements are.

For example, if you went to the directory of graduate physics programs and navigated to the graduate section of the University of Alaska Fairbanks website you would see the following:
Admission to the graduate program (UAF) requires a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all applicants but not the subject test. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required for all foreign students to demonstrate proficiency in English. The minimum acceptable TOEFL score for admissions is 550 (paper exam) or 213 (computer exam) or 80 (internet-based exam). Please indicate on the test form that the scores for both the GRE and the TOEFL need to be submitted to the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Keep in mind that Alaska is extremely cold (snow, ice). However, it is an example of how Graduate physics programs list requirements on their websites.