What are my chances? (CMT/QC)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

chsh

What are my chances? (CMT/QC)

Post by chsh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi everyone,

So, I'm applying to PhD programs in physics this year:

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?)... Overall Reputation in Physics?)
Smallish STEM-focused school.
Major(s): Physics, Math
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.6 Undergrad, 3.8 in integrated MS
Overall GPA:
Length of Degree: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?) 5 UG, 1 G
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?) Near top?
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) US white guy.

No GRE scores yet, taking on the 29th.

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)
I did undergrad research in computational research and grad research in quantum computation. No publication from the undergrad stuff. My advisor and I should have an arxiv preprint and an article submitted to a journal, but it probably won't be through the review process by the time adcoms read my application.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...) Teaching assistant for 2 graduate courses and freshman physics.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...) I had a lot of grad courses in undergrad and got almost all A's, and a few more during my 1 year MS. Also did independent study with my undergrad advisor (CM) and grad advisor (QI) in the specific subfields I'm interested in for my Ph.D. Also completed Ph.D. quals. I should have 3 strong recommendations.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Basically, I took a lot of graduate courses starting in my second year of undergrad (~19 between 2nd year and 4th year of undergrad) in both pure math and physics, and did really well in them. But, by my last year of undergrad I was burned out and blew off my senior project and an undergrad lab class and got C's. After a year off, I went back to school, planning to get my MS and start working, but I ended up really liking QC/CMT, so I've decided to stick with it.

What I want to know is:
Will I be able to get into a top 20-30 or so contingent on a high PGRE? I imagine not, but I figured I'd ask on here anyway. Thanks for reading.