everyone's opinion?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

westymnm

everyone's opinion?

Post by westymnm » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:29 pm

Hey,

I'm currently a sophomore undergraduate physics and mathematics double major, and recently i've been told i should be worrying about graduate schools. I am extremely interested in going to graduate school in mathematical physics, however i feel I have a huge problem. Currently my cumulative GPA is a mere 3.191. However, my GPA in physics is 3.6 and in math is a 3.25.

Do you think a cumulative GPA of 3.191 (or something around that range assuming my usual bad test-taking skills persist) would destroy my chances completely, or do you think they weight the more relevant grades accordingly?

Thank you so much,

Chris

03D3bb

Post by 03D3bb » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

It's your physics and math gpa that matters, they could really care less about your cum (make sure it's at least a 3.0 since that's the minimum requirement for the graduate school and not the program). I have pretty much the same cum gpa as you and my chances weren't completely obliterated :D .