Paid visit before acceptance?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

WheninRome

Paid visit before acceptance?

Post by WheninRome » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:59 pm

A professor offered to fly me out to their school for a visit, and said they will pay for the flights/hotel/everything. They've scheduled for me to talk to a bunch of students, post docs, and professors, and everything seems like a normal, standard campus visit, except... I haven't been accepted by this school yet! :S

What does this mean? The professor is the same one that I had an REU with, is he just acting on his own? Does this mean I'm likely to be accepted? Is this an interview? It's been a week since they contacted me about the visit and still nothing official from the school. Freaking out a little. I really want to go here!

shep23

Re: Paid visit before acceptance?

Post by shep23 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:38 pm

I think the professor who contacted you would know more about this than anyone here. I would send him a polite email asking to clarify the circumstances of the visit.