Re-contacting professors of interest for admission status?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

uhurulol

Re-contacting professors of interest for admission status?

Post by uhurulol » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:42 am

I'm wondering if it is acceptable to contact a professor of interest that I had previously spoken with to politely ask for the status of my application, if I know that people in that program have already gotten acceptances. Is that considered appropriate, or should I just wait it out?

PhysicsIsCool

Re: Re-contacting professors of interest for admission status?

Post by PhysicsIsCool » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:22 am

I think it's unlikely a professor will know of your admissions status. Even if he or she does know, asking the professor won't change your outcome, so maybe it's best to just wait until official letters are sent. Even though waiting is the worst!

deterministic devil

Post by deterministic devil » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:15 am

uhurulol wrote:I'm wondering if it is acceptable to contact a professor of interest that I had previously spoken with to politely ask for the status of my application, if I know that people in that program have already gotten acceptances. Is that considered appropriate, or should I just wait it out?
Contacting profs during the decision making period may put you in unpleasant situation. I know it sounds a bit tough but you should be patient and wait for the final result.

MelindaOsteen

Post by MelindaOsteen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:44 am

Yes, I also think that you should be patient, my Papers Gear tutor told me how professors don't like getting questions like that :(