Decision Dates

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Post Reply
PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:11 pm

loser2winner wrote:My life is a joke. I hope my failure can lead to others' successes and make the world a better place. Thank you very much.
You are not a failure. Hope you have a better days to come...

wompwomp
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by wompwomp » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 pm

loser2winner wrote:My life is a joke. I hope my failure can lead to others' successes and make the world a better place. Thank you very much.
You could be a failure as a grad school applicant, but that has no bearing whatsoever on whether your life is a joke or not. Try not to define yourself just as a graduate school applicant - you are so much more than that. You have your friends, your family, and, heck, everyone around you, who look at different aspects of you. I doubt anyone around you even for a second defines you as a grad school applicant. There is a lot more to life.

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:34 pm

shep23 wrote:Cal tech astronomy rejections have been sent out
Yup, still no word from this, too. CalTech astronomy and Maryland physics seem to have cut off all communication with me... was my application really that bad?

DivineHorseCloud
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by DivineHorseCloud » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:57 pm

YodaT wrote:
shep23 wrote:Cal tech astronomy rejections have been sent out
Yup, still no word from this, too. CalTech astronomy and Maryland physics seem to have cut off all communication with me... was my application really that bad?
You're probably waitlisted. Grats! :wink:

physicsisphun
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:57 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by physicsisphun » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:00 am

I think UMD sent out rejections to those applying for CME/CMT only. Its just a thought since I only see CM people posting. Also, people I know that applied AMO did not get a decision so maybe there is still hope for our non-CM brethren.

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by blackmass » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:02 am

PathIntegrals92 wrote:You know something. I have no idea what the formula is for getting into the top 10 school. I just don't think there is.

I think the most important thing for places like Harvard is your recommendation letters. They have to be great, Excellent, Stellar, and extremely strong. Not just good and strong. Make the cut off for the PGREs and you are solid and I would say 750+ with confidence. GPA requires some scrutiny, but demonstrate that you challenged yourself and did well in key courses.

Obviously, research experiences have to be strong! very strong! Your LORs will mostly support this. I don't think it's about number of publications, but the quality at undergrad level. I also don't think it is necessary to have it. I know this because I have talked to a grad admissions coordinator, personally, at a top 10 school.

Make yourself stand out. I am confident that they would take a hard look at you, before making the decision.

Well I didn't apply to Harvard and places, but that's my hunch after talking to profs at top 10s +friends at top 10s.
So, I got an offer from Harvard astro this weekend, and needless to say, I'm pretty shocked! My PGRE was below 750, and my GRE scores in general were not great at all. That being said, I've also been rejected from places like UC Boulder and UCLA. It just goes to show that some schools value entirely different things.
YodaT wrote:
Yup, still no word from this, too. CalTech astronomy and Maryland physics seem to have cut off all communication with me... was my application really that bad?

I'd say if a school has sent out rejections and you haven't gotten one, then there's still hope. I think if it was "that bad" they would have had no reservations sending you a rejection, but that's just a thought -- so hang in there! I just got my Caltech rejection. Gotta say, that one was a tough blow!

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 am

physicsisphun wrote:I think UMD sent out rejections to those applying for CME/CMT only. Its just a thought since I only see CM people posting. Also, people I know that applied AMO did not get a decision so maybe there is still hope for our non-CM brethren.
Or more applied to UMD's CME/CMT programs. I'm in for GR theory. Not sure how many applicants they get for that per year.
blackmass wrote:
YodaT wrote: Yup, still no word from this, too. CalTech astronomy and Maryland physics seem to have cut off all communication with me... was my application really that bad?
I'd say if a school has sent out rejections and you haven't gotten one, then there's still hope. I think if it was "that bad" they would have had no reservations sending you a rejection, but that's just a thought -- so hang in there! I just got my Caltech rejection. Gotta say, that one was a tough blow!
DivineHorseCloud wrote: You're probably waitlisted. Grats! :wink:
I hope so. Let's just celebrate one more day of not being rejected... well gotta wait like 50 mins for that.

blackmass wrote:
PathIntegrals92 wrote:You know something. I have no idea what the formula is for getting into the top 10 school. I just don't think there is.

I think the most important thing for places like Harvard is your recommendation letters. They have to be great, Excellent, Stellar, and extremely strong. Not just good and strong. Make the cut off for the PGREs and you are solid and I would say 750+ with confidence. GPA requires some scrutiny, but demonstrate that you challenged yourself and did well in key courses.

Obviously, research experiences have to be strong! very strong! Your LORs will mostly support this. I don't think it's about number of publications, but the quality at undergrad level. I also don't think it is necessary to have it. I know this because I have talked to a grad admissions coordinator, personally, at a top 10 school.

Make yourself stand out. I am confident that they would take a hard look at you, before making the decision.

Well I didn't apply to Harvard and places, but that's my hunch after talking to profs at top 10s +friends at top 10s.
So, I got an offer from Harvard astro this weekend, and needless to say, I'm pretty shocked! My PGRE was below 750, and my GRE scores in general were not great at all. That being said, I've also been rejected from places like UC Boulder and UCLA. It just goes to show that some schools value entirely different things.
Schools that admit you seem to believe you'll make a good fit in their program. That reflects in what values you both share.
Last edited by YodaT on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:10 am

blackmass wrote:So, I got an offer from Harvard astro this weekend, and needless to say, I'm pretty shocked! My PGRE was below 750, and my GRE scores in general were not great at all. That being said, I've also been rejected from places like UC Boulder and UCLA. It just goes to show that some schools value entirely different things.
Congrats on your acceptance! I think physics and astronomy have different criteria. However, even for Harvard physics I know they have accepted people with physics gres low as mid 500s.


Penn State sent out acceptances today. At least I have not been rejected yet :mrgreen:

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:14 am

PathIntegrals92 wrote: Penn State sent out acceptances today. At least I have not been rejected yet :mrgreen:
I'm currently sitting on a Penn State physics acceptance. If I get into CalTech, I'll drop that acceptance to give you a fighting chance (assuming you still aren't denied by then).

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by blackmass » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 am

YodaT wrote:
Schools that admit you seem to believe you'll make a good fit in their program. That reflects in what values you both share.
You're totally right. I gotta say, I never really thought of it that way, but it's too true.

PathIntegrals92 wrote:
Congrats on your acceptance! I think physics and astronomy have different criteria. However, even for Harvard physics I know they have accepted people with physics gres low as mid 500s.
Thank you! And that's a fair point -- I think you're right; astro programs typically seem to have a lower criteria for PGRE scores. It's just nice to know that test scores really aren't everything, and that it's possible to get into top schools without them.

shep23
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by shep23 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 am

blackmass wrote:
YodaT wrote:
Schools that admit you seem to believe you'll make a good fit in their program. That reflects in what values you both share.
You're totally right. I gotta say, I never really thought of it that way, but it's too true.

PathIntegrals92 wrote:
Congrats on your acceptance! I think physics and astronomy have different criteria. However, even for Harvard physics I know they have accepted people with physics gres low as mid 500s.
Thank you! And that's a fair point -- I think you're right; astro programs typically seem to have a lower criteria for PGRE scores. It's just nice to know that test scores really aren't everything, and that it's possible to get into top schools without them.

I would take it a step further and say that astro programs not only have a lower criteria for PGRE scores, but also care less about them in general. For example, I have a 990 and no major weaknesses in my application, yet I've been rejected from 4 places so far (including Colorado-Boulder). I've also gotten into a few, including UT-Austin, which I think are better than Colorado.

Ultimately the 990 helps, but I think being a good fit for a school (in terms of research interests and experience) is the most important thing.

For the record I am not complaining. I am perfectly happy with the places I've received offers from and did not expect to get into everywhere I applied (nor did I deserve to).

Sanhedrin
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:32 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Sanhedrin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 am

wompwomp wrote:My professors were quite optimistic about my chances, but it hasn't worked out too well for me yet.
This. At this point my only consolation is getting to tell my overoptimistic professors "I told you so."
wompwomp wrote:I've always sucked at advertising myself, so I'm not too surprised by how things are working out.
Same here. Rereading my SOPs makes me cringe.
PathIntegrals92 wrote:Work hard and do what you love people.
The problem here is that I love theoretical physics research yet my career in it is effectively over before it has really even started.

This is all fine. I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my life. Physics isn't my ONLY interest. But it has been the focus of my life for many years, and it's hard to let go of my dreams so suddenly.

I need to go for a jog.
Last edited by Sanhedrin on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

entropy19
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by entropy19 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 am

Congrats to everybody who got accepted!
Last edited by entropy19 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:58 am

Sanhedrin wrote:
wompwomp wrote:My professors were quite optimistic about my chances, but it hasn't worked out too well for me yet.
This. At this point my only consolation is getting to tell my overoptimistic professors "I told you so."
wompwomp wrote:I've always sucked at advertising myself, so I'm not too surprised by how things are working out.
Same here. Rereading my SOPs makes me cringe.
PathIntegrals92 wrote:Work hard and do what you love people.
The problem here is that I love theoretical physics research yet my career in it is effectively over before it has really even started.

This is all fine. I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my life. Physics isn't my ONLY interest. But it has been the focus of my life for many years, and it's hard to let go of my dreams so suddenly.

I need to go for a jog.

"Physics is a marathon, not a sprint." If it's what you really want to do, keep at it and it will eventually come through. Look back at some of own previous posts. I was rejected from all schools the first time I applied for hep-th. I started out applying again for hep-th, but changed my mind after a lot of soul searching. Who knows what the future holds.

Idk who said the original quote, but a prof told me that around this time last year!


YodaT I hope you get into caltech =D!

DivineHorseCloud
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by DivineHorseCloud » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:37 am

blackmass wrote:
PathIntegrals92 wrote:You know something. I have no idea what the formula is for getting into the top 10 school. I just don't think there is.

I think the most important thing for places like Harvard is your recommendation letters. They have to be great, Excellent, Stellar, and extremely strong. Not just good and strong. Make the cut off for the PGREs and you are solid and I would say 750+ with confidence. GPA requires some scrutiny, but demonstrate that you challenged yourself and did well in key courses.

Obviously, research experiences have to be strong! very strong! Your LORs will mostly support this. I don't think it's about number of publications, but the quality at undergrad level. I also don't think it is necessary to have it. I know this because I have talked to a grad admissions coordinator, personally, at a top 10 school.

Make yourself stand out. I am confident that they would take a hard look at you, before making the decision.

Well I didn't apply to Harvard and places, but that's my hunch after talking to profs at top 10s +friends at top 10s.
So, I got an offer from Harvard astro this weekend, and needless to say, I'm pretty shocked! My PGRE was below 750, and my GRE scores in general were not great at all. That being said, I've also been rejected from places like UC Boulder and UCLA. It just goes to show that some schools value entirely different things.
YodaT wrote:
Yup, still no word from this, too. CalTech astronomy and Maryland physics seem to have cut off all communication with me... was my application really that bad?

I'd say if a school has sent out rejections and you haven't gotten one, then there's still hope. I think if it was "that bad" they would have had no reservations sending you a rejection, but that's just a thought -- so hang in there! I just got my Caltech rejection. Gotta say, that one was a tough blow!
Congrats on Harvard!! It was my top choice, needless to say, I'm very jealous! :wink: But you probably deserved the acceptance more than I did...

slowdweller
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:47 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by slowdweller » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:03 am

Haven't received anything from Harvard despite the large number of acceptances they sent out... Oh well, another day, another broken dream. This time a very big one.

The past few days have been emotionally weird. I stay happy and hopeful one day, when I get acceptance from a place like Rutgers or UIUC, but then another day when I get rejected from Stanford and see people getting acceptances from Caltech and Harvard while me not having heard anything (which in all likelihood means a rejection), I get sad and depressed. I know I shouldn't, since I have offers from 3 good places, but I guess the main reason is that I can't help but notice that the best string theorists of today (almost all) went to extremely prestigious schools, and I would be limited in my career as a scientist if I can't go to one of these schools.

I really hope you guys can get into your top choices.

PhysicsIsCool
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by PhysicsIsCool » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:13 am

Also haven't heard anything from Harvard yet :( lots of Physics acceptances today...but there have only been two reported for Applied Physics so far, and those were posted over a week ago. I'm getting scared that all acceptances were sent a while ago and just didn't get posted on gradcafe...I'm losing hope :(

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by blackmass » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 am

DivineHorseCloud wrote:
Congrats on Harvard!! It was my top choice, needless to say, I'm very jealous! :wink: But you probably deserved the acceptance more than I did...
I don't know about that, but thank you!
slowdweller wrote:Haven't received anything from Harvard despite the large number of acceptances they sent out... Oh well, another day, another broken dream. This time a very big one.

The past few days have been emotionally weird. I stay happy and hopeful one day, when I get acceptance from a place like Rutgers or UIUC, but then another day when I get rejected from Stanford and see people getting acceptances from Caltech and Harvard while me not having heard anything (which in all likelihood means a rejection), I get sad and depressed. I know I shouldn't, since I have offers from 3 good places, but I guess the main reason is that I can't help but notice that the best string theorists of today (almost all) went to extremely prestigious schools, and I would be limited in my career as a scientist if I can't go to one of these schools.

I really hope you guys can get into your top choices.
I've been thinking about this a lot -- the whole, "does it really matter where you go?" All I can say is that looking at my own undergrad institution -- which is by no means highly ranked -- there are a lot of incredibly smart people working on really amazing research topics. So much so that it makes me wonder why my institution isn't more highly ranked. And then I realize that there are so many programs that sort of fly under the radar while having excellent faculty, great research opportunities, rigorous curriculum and so on.

I understand completely where you're coming from. This whole process has been a complete roller coaster of emotions, and even getting rejections from places that were at the bottom of my list was hard. But I truly do think that it's not where you go -- it's what you do and the attitude that you carry with you. I look at the graduate students at my school and I am utterly impressed. Anyway, so really roundabout way of saying, hang in there! If you have 3 acceptances already, that's awesome! Some people go a whole admissions cycle without any offers or just one, leaving them with no choice really. But I don't mean to preach. Congrats on your offers!

basik156
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by basik156 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Do you guys think it's too early to email regarding application status?

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:21 pm

basik156 wrote:Do you guys think it's too early to email regarding application status?
no news is good news.

basik156
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by basik156 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:35 pm

YodaT wrote:
basik156 wrote:Do you guys think it's too early to email regarding application status?
no news is good news.
Even for places that haven't sent any rejections? I'm not so sure

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:06 pm

It's the more optimistic way of thinking about it. =)

djh101
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by djh101 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Rejected from MIT. Three schools to go! 8)

djh101
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by djh101 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Has anybody seen accepted?
No room for Rory, who's been working since first grade to get into Yale. Rory, who only applied to Yale and nowhere else.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-0kUP4u ... ion_party/

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm

djh101 wrote:Has anybody seen accepted?
No room for Rory, who's been working since first grade to get into Yale. Rory, who only applied to Yale and nowhere else.
Idk Why, but that quote made me think of Gilmore Girls, but obviously that's not what you are talking about. I should watch that movie (Accepted).

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Catria » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Notre Dame has started releasing decisions! And, apparently, Dartmouth... but, if I get an offer from Dartmouth, I will decline Notre Dame's offer.

User avatar
Sats
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Sats » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I doubt many know of it, but got accepted to George Washington U. At least that's something, eh? (even if it was my safety :P)

dean_winchester
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:02 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by dean_winchester » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:50 am

It looks like all the acceptance for Harvard has been sent out.

That bummed me out a little bit.

zeper
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by zeper » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

YodaT wrote:
zeper wrote:
YodaT wrote:um, yeah I still have no word from Maryland. All I see on the application page is: Under Departmental/Program Review.
yeah, I checked now, and the same notice appears on my page. I dont know is this giving a hope, or showing something went wrong...

on the other hand, it might be that they are evaluating internationals later.

to me it sounds like they need to fix their system. i got an email a couple weeks ago that said my $75 was being deposited back into my account (no reason). i did qualify for a fee waiver but at time of application i had to pay... so this gives me hope they actually looked at my application?

considering this, i may be unofficially waitlisted and acceptance determined by number of declines in the coming weeks. so, to all of you that got into MIT, Princeton, Stanford (along with Maryland)... let's be serious you're not gonna end up at Maryland.
today I checked, it says decisions made...rejected=( I hope yours would be positive;)

entropy19
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by entropy19 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:53 am

Princeton results came out!

CMBae
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by CMBae » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Does anyone know whether Boulder is done sending out admissions? I'm still in limbo with them!

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Catria » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:00 pm

UPenn making me very nervous... it has started sending out offers again (not sure what subfield they are, though, since the last offers sent out prior to that were for HEP-EX...)

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:26 pm

zeper wrote: today I checked, it says decisions made...rejected=( I hope yours would be positive;)
Same, they have the audacity to not contact us about their decisions.

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Catria » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:58 pm

And Columbia started to release results... so nervous...

jagjitsinghsidhu192
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by jagjitsinghsidhu192 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Just got wait-listed by Ohio State. :?

So, anyone here who has an offer from OSU, but does not intend to go there, please let OSU know of your intentions as soon as possible. The way my admissions season is going, this will represent one of perhaps three chances of going to grad school in the upcoming fall semester.

Thanks.

orion43
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by orion43 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 pm

The deadline for UIUC was January 15th and according to grad cafe some people got in on January 14th, before the deadline!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:46 pm

so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by blackmass » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

YodaT wrote:so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?
No fear, that's awesome! Congrats!! Pretty cool too that the two departments seem to work closely together on this whole admissions process.

tqn
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by tqn » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 am

YodaT wrote:so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?
I don't think it's a mistake either. The astro department has very few spots and they probably don't want to lose you. Congratulation!
Last edited by tqn on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by heisenbergh23 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:14 am

Does anyone know how many days it takes for the Graduate Admission Office to send official acceptance letter after the physics department has sent you an email saying you have been recommended for admission? I am talking about Canadian Universities, but your experience on US schools would also be nice to hear.

User avatar
Aether73
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Aether73 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:20 am

YodaT wrote:so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?
Congratulations YodaT! No fear, only dreams now.
Image

tqn
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by tqn » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 am

heisenbergh23 wrote:Does anyone know how many days it takes for the Graduate Admission Office to send official acceptance letter after the physics department has sent you an email saying you have been recommended for admission? I am talking about Canadian Universities, but your experience on US schools would also be nice to hear.
I believe it depends on the school. In my case, it's one week for Caltech, and 5 minutes for Columbia.

gsbphy
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by gsbphy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:48 am

orion43 wrote:The deadline for UIUC was January 15th and according to grad cafe some people got in on January 14th, before the deadline!!!!!!!!!!
Hello!
I was one of those people =)

I'm not sure why the admission was made so early - although I will provide this information:

My recommendation letters had been sitting at UIUC for about a month before the deadline and I've had email correspondence with a possible PI over there beforehand as well, that may or may not explain the early decision. But yes, it was a surprise!

entropy19
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by entropy19 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 am

tqn wrote:
heisenbergh23 wrote:Does anyone know how many days it takes for the Graduate Admission Office to send official acceptance letter after the physics department has sent you an email saying you have been recommended for admission? I am talking about Canadian Universities, but your experience on US schools would also be nice to hear.
I believe it depends on the school. In my case, it's one week for Caltech, and 5 minutes for Columbia.

How did you get an official letter from Caltech? Did you get a direct email or did you check the website? I still haven't got anything and the website doesn't say anything either, so kinda worried..



Did anybody here back from Berkeley yet? It seems it's taking unusually long for Berkeley compared to the previous years.

tqn
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by tqn » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:17 am

entropy19 wrote:
tqn wrote:
heisenbergh23 wrote:Does anyone know how many days it takes for the Graduate Admission Office to send official acceptance letter after the physics department has sent you an email saying you have been recommended for admission? I am talking about Canadian Universities, but your experience on US schools would also be nice to hear.
I believe it depends on the school. In my case, it's one week for Caltech, and 5 minutes for Columbia.

How did you get an official letter from Caltech? Did you get a direct email or did you check the website? I still haven't got anything and the website doesn't say anything either, so kinda worried..



Did anybody here back from Berkeley yet? It seems it's taking unusually long for Berkeley compared to the previous years.
They just emailed me today to check the application webpage (applyweb). There is a new button called "View your Decision Letter," which shows a scanned letter which addresses my name and is signed by the Dean. Printing out the letters, getting them signed, and scanning may take time. I feel your anxiety -- especially when the unofficial offer was a mass email without addressing the recipient -- but a school like Caltech would never let any careless mistake hurt its reputation. Therefore if you already got the unofficial letter, there is no reason to worry.

I have not heard back from Berkeley either.

Roberto
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Roberto » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:18 am

jagjitsinghsidhu192 wrote:Just got wait-listed by Ohio State. :?

So, anyone here who has an offer from OSU, but does not intend to go there, please let OSU know of your intentions as soon as possible. The way my admissions season is going, this will represent one of perhaps three chances of going to grad school in the upcoming fall semester.

Thanks.
I got an offer from Ohio State University and do not intend to go since I already have better offers (e.g. MIT), and yet I'll wait until April 15 to decline, if I'll actually let them know at all. This is my second time trying to apply to grad school and the first time I failed miserably. Now I want to relieve all my tension and spite by "playing God" and rejecting schools when I feel like it, or not letting them know any decision. I was also thinking of sending fake suicidal emails to admissions committees that rejected me to make them feel sorry.

Anyway dude I won't decline Ohio State until last momet so just live with it.

Roberto

orion43
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by orion43 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:38 am

It takes about 1 week for Canadian universities to send out the official email after the informal email.

jagjitsinghsidhu192
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by jagjitsinghsidhu192 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:21 am

Roberto wrote:
jagjitsinghsidhu192 wrote:Just got wait-listed by Ohio State. :?

So, anyone here who has an offer from OSU, but does not intend to go there, please let OSU know of your intentions as soon as possible. The way my admissions season is going, this will represent one of perhaps three chances of going to grad school in the upcoming fall semester.

Thanks.
I got an offer from Ohio State University and do not intend to go since I already have better offers (e.g. MIT), and yet I'll wait until April 15 to decline, if I'll actually let them know at all. This is my second time trying to apply to grad school and the first time I failed miserably. Now I want to relieve all my tension and spite by "playing God" and rejecting schools when I feel like it, or not letting them know any decision. I was also thinking of sending fake suicidal emails to admissions committees that rejected me to make them feel sorry.

Anyway dude I won't decline Ohio State until last moment so just live with it.

Roberto
Not sure if trolling for sake of trolling, or attention seeking mongoloid.
Either way, do what you gotta do.

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Decision Dates

Post by YodaT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:41 pm

blackmass wrote:
YodaT wrote:so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?
No fear, that's awesome! Congrats!! Pretty cool too that the two departments seem to work closely together on this whole admissions process.
tqn wrote:
YodaT wrote:so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?
I don't think it's a mistake either. The astro department has very few spots and they probably don't want to lose you. Congratulation!
Aether73 wrote:
YodaT wrote:so yeah, i was just admitted to caltech's physics program (i applied to the astro program). do i feel excited or feel fear that this is a mistake?
Congratulations YodaT! No fear, only dreams now.
Image

It's official, got it verified.

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Post by blackmass » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:04 pm

YodaT wrote:
It's official, got it verified.
Awesome! Congrats again! Your top choice now?



Post Reply