masters programs

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

gaurangparkar

masters programs

Post by gaurangparkar » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:58 am

UG institution: NIT TRICHY, India Well known for engineering(top 15 in india).
Major: Chemical Engineering
GPA ~6.2/10
GRE Q:163 V:148 W:3.0
Physics GRE: 920

My LOR's are also from rather unknown people.

I have no research experience except my Undergrad Thesis.
My application for a good graduate university is rather weak . So I was wondering would it be better to apply for masters programs instead of phd. But since most masters are not funded it would be an option that is not financially viable for me. I am mainly interested in HEP theory.

Any suggestions ??

Aether73

Re: masters programs

Post by Aether73 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:59 am

Even with your high PGRE, being a non-physics major with a 6.2/10 GPA from NIT Trichy will likely be a deal breaker for most US/EU hep-th departments.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to aim low or consider another specialization that's less competitive. When did you decide that you wanted to go to grad school for hep-th? The ratio of available funds to the number of prospective students for hep-th is extraordinarily low - a fact I lament every day.

gaurangparkar

Post by gaurangparkar » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:30 am

I had made this decision during me 3rd year. I wanted to switch but sadly Indian universities do not allow this.

So is it possible to get an admit from top a 70 school... Or is this also a long shot?

Aether73

Post by Aether73 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Without looking at your coursework it's difficult to say, but I think an admit to a top 70 might be in the cards.