Unsure if this email was a waitlisting, or a timeline?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

was it a waitlist, or a timeline?

they waitlisted you
10%
don't worry, its just their timeline
90%

Total votes: 10

pi_man

Unsure if this email was a waitlisting, or a timeline?

Post by pi_man » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Hey everyone, I got this email today from a program that I applied to, and I'm unsure if this means I'm on their waitlist, or if they are simply informing me of their projected timeline, and that I shouldn't expect to hear from them until the end of march?

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me your opinion, or maybe show us what a waitlist letter looks like.

thanks!!!

"Dear __________ applicant:

Thank you again for submitting your application for the doctoral program in __________ at the University of _________. At this time your application is still in review. Decisions will be made by our department’s Graduate Admissions Committee following their final meeting which will take place by the middle of March. You will receive these decisions via email shortly after this time by mid to late March.

Thank you for your patience and interest in our program."

TakeruK

Re: Unsure if this email was a waitlisting, or a timeline?

Post by TakeruK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I think this is an update on their timeline.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:21 pm

I think the distinction between those two states in late February are mostly semantic.

pi_man

Post by pi_man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm

thanks for voting, everyone!
I'm sure you all know how nerve-racking this waiting period is, it just makes you read waaaay too much into any communication from a school.
good luck to everyone else who is waiting for acceptances!!!