Page 1 of 1

financial forms

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 pm
by schmit.paul
Is anyone familiar with the financial form process for domestic students?'s college breakdown sheets said that the FAFSA was required for UCLA, UCBerkeley, and Columbia, and the "GAPFSAS" was required for Harvard and Princeton. I'm familiar with the FAFSA, but is the need to get it out urgent, or is it just a formality that doesn't really affect your eligibility for financial packages from graduate programs? Do you even really need to fill it out? I thought I would be done with the FAFSA after my undergrad, considering I've never even taken a loan from the US government anyway. Also, I have no clue whatsoever what the GAPFSAS is, it's not an online form like FAFSA, so I'm wondering if it's a form you fill out after they've made a financial package offer, just as a formality, or if it's necessary to procure a form and get it in as soon as possible. Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:30 pm
by braindrain
Now I'm completely confused. Is this need-based financial aid
as if you were paying? If we take the stance that they have to
pay for us with fellowships or assistantships or we're not going,
do we still have to fill out all this paperwork?
(Are we having fun yet? :) )

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:31 pm
by braindrain
Oh, I saw a deadling of March 2 for the FAFSA one somewhere,
but you still check the particular school.