MSc in Canada?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Etranger

MSc in Canada?

Post by Etranger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 am

Hey,

Maybe you'll remember some threads I made last year about studying physics in Leipzig and possible funding opportunities for graduate study abroad. TakerUK mentioned that Canadian MSc programs are funded, which was news to me. :-)

I didn't realize this at the time, but after checking it would appear that one would need a Diplom in order to apply for a master's at a Canadian university. At least, that's what UofT and York say.

It's weird, because Diplom degrees are being phased out in favor of the B.Sc and M.Sc, due to the Bologna process. In fact, there aren't many Diplom degrees remaining now. And what's weirder is that in the "equivalency chart", UofT says that a master's (under bologna process) is required to apply for their PhD but for the MSc, they specify the Diplom.

Do you know anything about this? Should I just e-mail the physics/applied math/earth science departments (just things I am interested in now) of Canadian universities to find out?

This may sound somewhat premature but I would need to know *now* as if I do go to Leipzig, I would have barely enough money to cover my expenses for 5 years. And things almost always end up costing more than one projects. Ideally, the last 2 years would be funded. As in that (ideal) case, I would have some money left after I graduate. I would hate to find myself in a position where I have no job and have completely used up my college fund.

If I do have to pay my way for another 2 years in Germany, almost all of the money coming from my parents would be used up. Half of that money is expected to come from a small plot of land that they are selling (to a relative, actually; deal is pretty much done). Irrespective of what they say (i.e, we love you and we'll do what we can), I would really prefer to avoid this outcome. My folks are getting old (60s) and ideally, I would like it if they have that money to keep for themselves. I would be very uncomfortable "taking" that from them.

I will end this post before it turns into a Mexican soap opera.

Thanks guys.

/post

blighter

Re: MSc in Canada?

Post by blighter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 am

I think a bachelor's from Leipzig would do. On the same page, I looked up Switzerland and it says this:
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent: Lizentiat/Licence; Diploma/Diplome; Staatsdiplom (from a Federal Inst. of Technology); Dipolme d`Ingenieur; Diplome d`Architecte; Maitre de Dessin; Upper Secondary Teacher Credentials; Doktorat awarded as first degree; Bachelor(Post-2005)
Since post-2005 Swiss bachelor's is equivalent to post-2005 German bachelor's, I think you would be eligible. Moreover the Canadian schools aren't all that rigid AFAIK. So you don't have to worry about that. You can email them to get a closure. I'd suggest you to email the graduate school instead of the department. They are more informed in terms of these rules.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 pm

I agree with blighter that emailing the graduate school is more useful because "strict" rules like this are usually enforced by the graduate school, while things like merit are decided on by the department.

I'm sorry that I don't remember what schooling you already had and what a Diplom is! I do know that Physics programs in Canada (and graduate schools in Canada) usually require, as a minimum, the equivalent of a 4-year bachelor's program. I don't think the name of the degree matters very much. Some schools would prefer that the student has the equivalent of a Canadian "honours BSc" which is also a 4-year program with a few extra requirements. These extra requirements roughly translates into 10% more courses, harder coursework, a minimum courseload per year, and most importantly, the defense of an honours/senior thesis.

That's the minimum for the graduate school to be happy to admit you as a MSc student. In order for the department to want to admit you, you would also have to demonstrate your courses will give you the same preparation as a Physics BSc in Canada would (probably not too difficult!) Usually the department cares less about things like degree length or specific classification -- they just want to know you are capable of succeeding in their program.

Etranger

Post by Etranger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 pm

I will do that, and post here with what I find.

Also interested in Poland. Much cheaper.