Decent PGRE, mediocre grades, average research

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

walczyk

Decent PGRE, mediocre grades, average research

Post by walczyk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:52 am

I've posted a lot recently here regarding my SoP, but now that I sent them away, I am worried about my chances getting into to most schools. A lot of them are top 20, and I don't know if I will interest them to get an offer. My numbers: 3.31 gpa, 3.5 in major, 960 pgre, similar for regular gre. I took two graduate classes at UConn last year and got a 3.5gpa. I did research for two years under my advisor, but I never published anything. My name was on an abstract for a presentation he and grad students went and did for the APS, but that really isn't a publication. The schools I applied to are Columbia, UMaryland, Penn State, Stony Brook, Brown, Dartmouth, and UConn. I might apply to Drexel if my chances aren't really good for most of these other schools. What do you guys think?

photonic

Re: Decent PGRE, mediocre grades, average research

Post by photonic » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 am

The drexel deadline was January 1st for physics. There might be some other schools you can still apply to but I imagine most of the deadlines have passed. I would use gradschoolshopper.com to double check for deadlines.

walczyk

Post by walczyk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 am

Ah well, last year they let me apply really late (I chose not to finish the application), so I could ask but I am not that interested in it. I wish I knew my chances overall.

photonic

Post by photonic » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 am

Ah well, last year they let me apply really late (I chose not to finish the application), so I could ask but I am not that interested in it. I wish I knew my chances overall.
No one really knows their chances. Look up some statistics and whats been posted here (or on gradcafe.com). Best advice I can give is sit tight and maybe throw out another application if you still can to calm your nerves. Also, start meeting the deadlines, that helps in making a good impression.

walczyk

Post by walczyk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:05 am

It's hard, being an oddball case.