Outlook in Medical Physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

a15m

Outlook in Medical Physics

Post by a15m » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:26 pm

I am at an ABET accredited school studying Radiological Health Engineering(Nuclear) and I was thinking of applying to grad school for a MS in Medical Physics. I have read that in 2014 to become certified you will have had to complete residency and getting into those CAMPEP programs is VERY competitive and the field is also saturated. So if I get into a graduate program and do not get into a residency program what are my options?

Will I be better off to choose another career, if so are there any suggestions as what else I could do with my BS in the medical field? I was looking into Dosimetry I saw you can get certified after a one year program, anyone who works in this field please give me your opinion about your job (outlook, responsibilities, etc).

I don't want to pursue MP if my chances of actually becoming a MP are as slim as I have read.

twistor

Re: Outlook in Medical Physics

Post by twistor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Residency programs are very competitive indeed. The AAPM website should have some statistics on the job outlook in medical physics. You could always apply for a Ph.D. in medical physics and go into research.

I don't really know what you can do with your degree since honestly I've never even heard of it before. You can probably do dosimetry. I don't really know much about getting into that field but I think there are 1 or 2 year programs. I believe it pays very well, also.