Which is "easiest" path to physics Phd.

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

tweetie_brid

Which is "easiest" path to physics Phd.

Post by tweetie_brid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am

I know it will be a long grueling road to a physics phd.

But I am curious what would be the "easiest" research area for a Phd degree?

1) condensed matter
2) computational physics
3) astrophysics
4) not to mention the numerous other areas.

I think i am going to pursue astrophysics because I have an interest in that area, and it should be fun.

Are there any horror stories out there of being up at 4am to watch stellar phenomenal?

Or getting up at dawn to watch Mars rise?

Anyway I think I would enjoy it if I had to observe all night.

bfollinprm

Re: Which is "easiest" path to physics Phd.

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:14 am

tweetie_brid wrote:Are there any horror stories out there of being up at 4am to watch stellar phenomenal?

Or getting up at dawn to watch Mars rise?
All stories of watching 'steller phenomenal' involve being up at 4am. And yes, all PhD's in astrophysics are required to watch Mars rise, each morning. You are required to present this during your thesis defense.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Lol observing is one of those biggest misconceptions out there. If you think you're out in the desert watching the night sky, think again. You are literally looking at black dots against a white background (or some variant of it), and hunting for that one speck that seems to be changing with time. If you're not detail-oriented you need to get the hell away from observational astronomy.

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 am

If long hours don't interest you then you should not be applying for a PhD in any field of physics. I've run into many a person in all those sub-fields in their labs at the wee hours of the morning- sure often you don't, but the payoff for not working a 9-5 job is sometimes you must put in a lot of effort to solve something tricky and/or intensive.

I honestly also don't think any of these fields are "easier" or "harder" when it comes to the PhD level, what matters more is what comes more intuitively to you and what you find most interesting.

hjq1990

Post by hjq1990 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:17 am

It occurs to me that a researcher once said that research work tend to deal more with computations, programming, and most of all, debugging. The data is shared among members via net, what "physicists" or "astronomers" need to do is construct models, do the calculation, and check the results. I am not sure about this and have not yet done any work that deserves being called research, but I think it makes sense.