Good quantum computing schools

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

invidia

Good quantum computing schools

Post by invidia » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:10 pm

Does anyone know any grad schools with a good quantum computing or related research group? I've tried searching on the internet and keep getting unwanted results. It doesn't have to be limited just to the U.S.

l3amm

Post by l3amm » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:04 am

The university of Colorado at Boulder has a working relationship with NIST, national institute of Standards and Technology which has a really large and good quantum information/key exchange/computing group. In fact they have several groups of people working on the creation of quantum bits and quantum computers. Some names to look for Sae-Woo Nam, phase-encoded qubits using lasers, and Rich Simmonds who is using Josephson junctions to create qubits. Both of these people are well established/respected and both have viable schemes up and running, and therefore money. The thing about the field is that only a few approaches of the many initial propositions are getting anywhere. These include: entangled photons, josephson junctions, and potentially quantum dots. A lot of the research is done by the government. As for other universities I think that the best woudl be CU Boulder, Caltech/JPL and University of Maryland (I think. NIST Gaithersburg is in Maryland and so i'm sure whatever university is near it has a strong program.) Hope that helps.

invidia

Post by invidia » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:45 am

My school doesn't offer a research group in quantum computing :(

l3amm

Post by l3amm » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:05 am

NIST definately has a lot of undergrads come in during the summer's and do SURFS you should check it out if that's what you want to do. I thought I did, and I'm glad that I did because it turns out that is not what I want to do at all.

physicsforaday

Post by physicsforaday » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:08 pm

Yale has a good program.