Do some schools announce results during their spring breaks?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

InquilineKea

Do some schools announce results during their spring breaks?

Post by InquilineKea » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 pm

And are results more likely to be announced or less likely to be announced during their spring breaks?

Or are they especially likely to be announced on the week before spring break? Columbia announced a *huge* batch of decisions this week (the week before their spring break) - for both Physics and EESC..

asdfuogh

Re: Do some schools announce results during their spring breaks?

Post by asdfuogh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:17 am

I'd like to know as well. Wish schools at least met a 3/15 deadline so people have at least a month to think before accepting any offers.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 am

I don't see any reason why not. The administration people don't often get spring breaks off, and the members of the admission committee aren't going anywhere...spring break really isn't a grad school thing.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 am

asdfuogh wrote:I'd like to know as well. Wish schools at least met a 3/15 deadline so people have at least a month to think before accepting any offers.
Spring break is usually irrelevant for admissions committees. A 3/15 deadline makes no sense, since most schools have waiting lists and whether they go to the waiting list depends on how many offers are accepted. I suppose they could tell applicants whether they are on a waiting list, but those lists can be quite long...