International students: B-1 or B-2 visa for open house?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

transparent_silvery

International students: B-1 or B-2 visa for open house?

Post by transparent_silvery » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:59 am

Any international students who need visa and are planning to go to open house? B-1 is for business trip and B-2's for sightseeing. I guess we fit in the B-2 category better. But how do I provide proof that I'm returning home after the open house visit? It's not likely I can get some hard copy of invitation letters for open house in time...

giga17

Re: International students: B-1 or B-2 visa for open house?

Post by giga17 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:38 am

Is your country not in the visa waiver program? Because then you'll just need to apply online for an ESTA, and approval is usually immediate.

As for proof of return to your original country, they just need to see your return ticket, so make sure you book the return leg of the flight.

spidy0436

Re: International students: B-1 or B-2 visa for open house?

Post by spidy0436 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 am

Hello "transparent_silvery", B2 visa is not only for sight seeing. You can also get the medical treatment with the help of b2 visa.