2012 Rejections

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

capandbells

Re: 2012 Rejections

Post by capandbells » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 pm

qed wrote:Columbia, email, just now. :(
++

GeorgeThe4th

Post by GeorgeThe4th » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm

UIUC Physics via email 3/9

qed

Post by qed » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

GeorgeThe4th wrote:UIUC Physics via email 3/9
+1

baconface

Post by baconface » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Anyone hear anything from UW (Seattle) since -- I don't know -- early February?!? Just trying to figure out what the heck is taking them so long.

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:10 pm

baconface wrote:Anyone hear anything from UW (Seattle) since -- I don't know -- early February?!? Just trying to figure out what the heck is taking them so long.
Physics or Astro?

From the astro side, they sent rejections/acceptances/wait-lists out at the end of Feb.

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Michigan Astronomy. I have e-mailed to ask.

baconface

Post by baconface » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:22 pm

tpatt wrote:
baconface wrote:Anyone hear anything from UW (Seattle) since -- I don't know -- early February?!? Just trying to figure out what the heck is taking them so long.
Physics or Astro?

From the astro side, they sent rejections/acceptances/wait-lists out at the end of Feb.
Physics dept. My mistake

Bozostein

Post by Bozostein » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:53 pm

suny buffalo email 3/9

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:39 pm

*sigh* Berkeley.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Berkeley. My dream school. :/

ali8

Post by ali8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 am

Imperial College London via email 13/3

rb87

Post by rb87 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Rejected from Colorado...I honestly don't get it

hyc34

Post by hyc34 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

UCSB rejection

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 pm

hyc34 wrote:UCSB rejection
+1. Bummer. At least they were nice about it, though.

ale87

Post by ale87 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:47 pm

UCSC

spin1/2

Post by spin1/2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 am

ucsd reject by email. 19/3

GeorgeThe4th

Post by GeorgeThe4th » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Penn State Physics 3/20 via email

cabriner

Post by cabriner » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm

UW physics by email just now.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:22 am

Rejected on status check, University of South Carolina.

hyc34

Post by hyc34 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Upenn, FML.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Every now and then someone has all their applications rejected. March 23 is not too late to send applications in and I'm advising one of the students here on that subject.

So if you're worried that you're not going to get into grad school, talk about it and see what sort of practical advice you can get here on Physics GRE.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:57 am

CarlBrannen wrote:Every now and then someone has all their applications rejected. March 23 is not too late to send applications in and I'm advising one of the students here on that subject.

So if you're worried that you're not going to get into grad school, talk about it and see what sort of practical advice you can get here on Physics GRE.
I am not sure if I will ever get a single offer to get graduate school berth this fall. Out of 6 schools I applied, so far I have 1 rejection and not heard from the rest. I have this feeling based on my overall mediocre profile which does not seem quite spectacular to admission committee. Here is complete detail information about me:
1) I am 31 years old indian minority citizen(of mongoloid decent) from extreme north eastern part(birth place of modern game of Polo) bordering Burma(Myanmar) wrecked by insurgency and violence.
2) passed BSc with major in Physics from a decent college in Bangalore in the year 2004, work for 2 years in BPO(outsourcing) company based at Bangalore.
3) Left the job for MSc study in Physics at a not so well known university in my native state and passed out in the year 2008 with 71.8% with specialization in nuclear and particle physics.
4) I didn't have much research experience,but I did an MSc thesis project on solar neutrino problem which is theoretical in nature with no publication, under a prof in the department. I attended a national conference on HEP and Cosmology, 2 summer schools on Cosmology and HEP within India.
5) After MSc I worked in a senior secondary school for few months and later in a federal program under state education department as an officer till December 2010.
6)As my dream is to be a physicist I quit the job to concentrate on preparation for graduate study at states. Without much preparation while working I gave TOEFL, GRE and PGRE. My 2010 scores were toefl-96, Gre: V-310,Q-640, PGRE-510.
7) To turn myself to academic environment and as I need money, I took a physics tutoring assignment teaching students preparing for Medical and engineering entrance tests. At the same time, I starting preparing for PGRE, but I wouldn't prepare more on revised GRE due to dearth of reading material and information. My 2011 PGRE score was 650 which was unexpected and revised GRE score was awful Q-149, V-144. So, I took the revised test again after 60 days and it was the almost same Q-150, V-143, which I couldn't help.
8) To give all this exams, I had to travel to metropolitan cities like Delhi and Hydrabad and I spent $1000. Its a huge financial commitment on my side. So, finally I end up applying to 6 schools as I couldn't afford more. My recommenders are virtually unknown and they will not be much help to my application.

Sorry for bearing with me for this long write up. Please suggest what I should do next time to increase my chances at US schools. I will plan to write PGRE, GRE and TOEFL again if I don't get any offer this year. Would you suggest me to apply first MS either at Canada or US? But I may not be able to finance my MS at Canada even if its funded as I need to still show financial resources for the tuition fees that I need to pay for Canada MS degree. Moreover, research prospects here at India and my university is very limited in HEP. Kindly give some advise.

holycow

Post by holycow » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:17 am

I saw the universities you applied for. I think you can make into these universities or better if you work on few things for your application. Options are many, let me suggest few...

1. Try to do research with some professors at IISc, IIT etc. Publications are the best thing for anyone's admission profile. If you could work for a year and get that, then that's the best. You can ask professor from your masters degree to help you connect with people in IIsc, IIT or other better research institutions. A good idea might be to expand on your master's thesis research with some reputed professor in the same field but at IISc, tifr, iit etc.

2. Definitely aim to ace PGRE. Being an international and theory applicant, this is important. At least aim for getting above 900. General GRE scores are not the most important.

3. A MS in US/Canada is also a possibility. I heard of people getting funding in Canada for their Masters. But I think one has to still pay the fees partially/fully. You may also apply for masters in US at universities ranked 80, and above.

4. As you might be knowing Theoretical HEP and cosmology are extremely competitive, not just for PhD, but also for a career. You might want to see whether you have interest in something like computational physics.

siroy.sam wrote:
CarlBrannen wrote:Every now and then someone has all their applications rejected. March 23 is not too late to send applications in and I'm advising one of the students here on that subject.

I am not sure if I will ever get a single offer to get graduate school berth this fall. Out of 6 schools I applied, so far I have 1 rejection and not heard from the rest. I have this feeling based on my overall mediocre profile which does not seem quite spectacular to admission committee. Here is complete detail information about me:
1) I am 31 years old indian minority citizen(of mongoloid decent) from extreme north eastern part(birth place of modern game of Polo) bordering Burma(Myanmar) wrecked by insurgency and violence.
2) passed BSc with major in Physics from a decent college in Bangalore in the year 2004, work for 2 years in BPO(outsourcing) company based at Bangalore.
3) Left the job for MSc study in Physics at a not so well known university in my native state and passed out in the year 2008 with 71.8% with specialization in nuclear and particle physics.
4) I didn't have much research experience,but I did an MSc thesis project on solar neutrino problem which is theoretical in nature with no publication, under a prof in the department. I attended a national conference on HEP and Cosmology, 2 summer schools on Cosmology and HEP within India.
5) After MSc I worked in a senior secondary school for few months and later in a federal program under state education department as an officer till December 2010.
6)As my dream is to be a physicist I quit the job to concentrate on preparation for graduate study at states. Without much preparation while working I gave TOEFL, GRE and PGRE. My 2010 scores were toefl-96, Gre: V-310,Q-640, PGRE-510.
7) To turn myself to academic environment and as I need money, I took a physics tutoring assignment teaching students preparing for Medical and engineering entrance tests. At the same time, I starting preparing for PGRE, but I wouldn't prepare more on revised GRE due to dearth of reading material and information. My 2011 PGRE score was 650 which was unexpected and revised GRE score was awful Q-149, V-144. So, I took the revised test again after 60 days and it was the almost same Q-150, V-143, which I couldn't help.
8) To give all this exams, I had to travel to metropolitan cities like Delhi and Hydrabad and I spent $1000. Its a huge financial commitment on my side. So, finally I end up applying to 6 schools as I couldn't afford more. My recommenders are virtually unknown and they will not be much help to my application.

Sorry for bearing with me for this long write up. Please suggest what I should do next time to increase my chances at US schools. I will plan to write PGRE, GRE and TOEFL again if I don't get any offer this year. Would you suggest me to apply first MS either at Canada or US? But I may not be able to finance my MS at Canada even if its funded as I need to still show financial resources for the tuition fees that I need to pay for Canada MS degree. Moreover, research prospects here at India and my university is very limited in HEP. Kindly give some advise.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 pm

holycow wrote:I saw the universities you applied for. I think you can make into these universities or better if you work on few things for your application. Options are many, let me suggest few...

1. Try to do research with some professors at IISc, IIT etc. Publications are the best thing for anyone's admission profile. If you could work for a year and get that, then that's the best. You can ask professor from your masters degree to help you connect with people in IIsc, IIT or other better research institutions. A good idea might be to expand on your master's thesis research with some reputed professor in the same field but at IISc, tifr, iit etc.

2. Definitely aim to ace PGRE. Being an international and theory applicant, this is important. At least aim for getting above 900. General GRE scores are not the most important.

3. A MS in US/Canada is also a possibility. I heard of people getting funding in Canada for their Masters. But I think one has to still pay the fees partially/fully. You may also apply for masters in US at universities ranked 80, and above.

4. As you might be knowing Theoretical HEP and cosmology are extremely competitive, not just for PhD, but also for a career. You might want to see whether you have interest in something like computational physics.
[/quote]

Thank you for your kind advice and suggestion. My area of interest is not in theoretical HEP but in experimental HEP. To be more precise, its in accelerator physics in search of physics beyond standard model. So, it makes virtually impossible to get into research groups in India working in the field.

In my belief, IISC is focused more on condense matter physics. Only people involved in collider physics in Indian is few people at TIFR and just one prof at Delhi university. I can't think of others, however there could be couple of them in some obscure places. Moreover, its not so easy to get into a research groups for a project or so in Indian as I passed out nearly 4 years back. I don't say that its easy in US or Canada. My assumption is that profs at US or Canada are more liberal.

In my knowledge, indian students even at MSc or Btech level are not exposed to research environment and they hardly involve into one. The only opportunity is to join for a short summer or winter project for maximum 3 months at TIFR, HRI or IISC during MSc or Btech study. But this option is not available to me as I passed out long time ago. Another option is to write write CSIR net or Gate or Jest exams to join their PhD program or project which is something I am not looking at as I am focused more on research prospects and opportunity at US, Canada for obvious reason. I guess its better to spend my time wisely in my PGRE and GRE rather than distracting my time in writing indian exams which themselves need time and energy as I already spent my time on GRE and PGRE.

So, is it advisable to apply for MS program at Canada? Some time back, I came across in this forums writing about Canada's MS program. But nothing is much mentioned about funding option. Will it hurt my application next year also when I apply again with my little research experience even if I ace PGRE and get more than 900 score? What's your advise? should I concentrate more on improving my scores or in search of research prospects? What shall I do?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 pm

siroy.sam wrote: So, is it advisable to apply for MS program at Canada? Some time back, I came across in this forums writing about Canada's MS program. But nothing is much mentioned about funding option. Will it hurt my application next year also when I apply again with my little research experience even if I ace PGRE and get more than 900 score? What's your advise? should I concentrate more on improving my scores or in search of research prospects? What shall I do?
Most programs in Canada will provide an average *minimum* stipend of around $22,000 to 25,000 per year. We still have to pay tuition, which is about $5000-$7000 per year for domestic students. International students usually get an extra award to cover the difference between international and domestic tuition (so you would still pay the same as domestic students). Usually PhD programs have stipends that are around $1000-$2000 per year more than MSc programs. These are minimum stipends if you don't have an external fellowship.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 pm

TakeruK wrote:
siroy.sam wrote: So, is it advisable to apply for MS program at Canada? Some time back, I came across in this forums writing about Canada's MS program. But nothing is much mentioned about funding option. Will it hurt my application next year also when I apply again with my little research experience even if I ace PGRE and get more than 900 score? What's your advise? should I concentrate more on improving my scores or in search of research prospects? What shall I do?
Most programs in Canada will provide an average *minimum* stipend of around $22,000 to 25,000 per year. We still have to pay tuition, which is about $5000-$7000 per year for domestic students. International students usually get an extra award to cover the difference between international and domestic tuition (so you would still pay the same as domestic students). Usually PhD programs have stipends that are around $1000-$2000 per year more than MSc programs. These are minimum stipends if you don't have an external fellowship.
If the acceptance letter or canada's equivalent of I20 document says that I will be awarded TA or RA stipend of some money say $22,000, do I need to still show my bank balance or other financial resources or income to convince the ViSA officials at Canadan embassy that I can pay the tuition balance of (say) $7000? Or will the amount indicated in the offer letter or I20 be just sufficient to show my capability to pay the tuition fees as an international student at Canadan university?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 am

Sorry, I don't know anything about the immigration process to Canada since, being a Canadian, I have never had to do anything like that before! It's funny that I currently know more about what it takes to move to the US than to move to my own country! Maybe someone else here knows though.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 am

TakeruK wrote:Sorry, I don't know anything about the immigration process to Canada since, being a Canadian, I have never had to do anything like that before! It's funny that I currently know more about what it takes to move to the US than to move to my own country! Maybe someone else here knows though.
TakeruK wrote:Sorry, I don't know anything about the immigration process to Canada since, being a Canadian, I have never had to do anything like that before! It's funny that I currently know more about what it takes to move to the US than to move to my own country! Maybe someone else here knows though.
Anyway, thank you very much for your invaluable input. I am just curious to know when people normally applies for Canadan MS program. Is it the same as US schedule? I guess Canadan MS or PhD program is also equally good option like US if our sole intention is to do physics research in frontier areas of physics.

holycow

Post by holycow » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 am

siroy.sam wrote: Thank you for your kind advice and suggestion. My area of interest is not in theoretical HEP but in experimental HEP. To be more precise, its in accelerator physics in search of physics beyond standard model. So, it makes virtually impossible to get into research groups in India working in the field.

In my belief, IISC is focused more on condense matter physics. Only people involved in collider physics in Indian is few people at TIFR and just one prof at Delhi university. I can't think of others, however there could be couple of them in some obscure places. Moreover, its not so easy to get into a research groups for a project or so in Indian as I passed out nearly 4 years back. I don't say that its easy in US or Canada. My assumption is that profs at US or Canada are more liberal.

In my knowledge, indian students even at MSc or Btech level are not exposed to research environment and they hardly involve into one. The only opportunity is to join for a short summer or winter project for maximum 3 months at TIFR, HRI or IISC during MSc or Btech study. But this option is not available to me as I passed out long time ago. Another option is to write write CSIR net or Gate or Jest exams to join their PhD program or project which is something I am not looking at as I am focused more on research prospects and opportunity at US, Canada for obvious reason. I guess its better to spend my time wisely in my PGRE and GRE rather than distracting my time in writing indian exams which themselves need time and energy as I already spent my time on GRE and PGRE.

So, is it advisable to apply for MS program at Canada? Some time back, I came across in this forums writing about Canada's MS program. But nothing is much mentioned about funding option. Will it hurt my application next year also when I apply again with my little research experience even if I ace PGRE and get more than 900 score? What's your advise? should I concentrate more on improving my scores or in search of research prospects? What shall I do?

I understand the obvious difficulties in India. In my opinion you can decide on universities later, both Canada and US are options. But for meanwhile focus on getting more than 900 in PGRE, decent GRE score AND some research at an HEP experiment group. If you google "high energy experiment India" you can see there are groups at TIFR, Punjab University, IMSC, Jammu University etc. And there seem to be some neutrino experiments going on in India. Maybe you can try to email some professors and ask them for a spot in their groups. So my advice would be to do two things, improve PGRE and get research experience.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 pm

holycow wrote: I understand the obvious difficulties in India. In my opinion you can decide on universities later, both Canada and US are options. But for meanwhile focus on getting more than 900 in PGRE, decent GRE score AND some research at an HEP experiment group. If you google "high energy experiment India" you can see there are groups at TIFR, Punjab University, IMSC, Jammu University etc. And there seem to be some neutrino experiments going on in India. Maybe you can try to email some professors and ask them for a spot in their groups. So my advice would be to do two things, improve PGRE and get research experience.
While I appreciate your advice, on few things I would like to differ from your opinion. I doubt in India if its works like " hi I am Sam, I have interest in your work and it looks so cool you know. Prof say, how much you expect and when can we start?" My intention is not that it happens this way in US or Canada. Profs at US or Canada are more liberal and humble as most of them are pioneers in their respective field and so they are very understanding and look on students with compassion. While at india if you say that you want to work with him, they may frown upon you and you need connections too. Moreover, there may be large pool of wannabe students around them. Why would he choose you? Research opportunities, in fact, are not readily available in India especially in field like HEP-EX . So, probability of getting exposure here in my field is virtually nil.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm

If you want to start, in say Sept 2013, the application deadlines usually range between Jan 15 and March 1 of the same year. But you should be prepared in case some of the bigger schools decide to move their dates back to Jan 1 in later years.

However, these deadlines really just mean that they will start considering your application on these dates. Except for Toronto, it's up to the individual prof to decide whether or not to admit you, you can often apply later and still get in. But if you take too long, the prof may have already accepted a student and it may also be too late for you to be eligible for internal scholarships (which would increase your chances of getting in). But if you are a really strong student, especially if you have an external fellowship that will cover all your costs, it's not unheard of for you to apply in e.g. March/April and still be admitted for the following Fall.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:39 pm

siroy.sam, HEP experiment is definitely a lot easier to get into than HEP theory. To get a success it would be best to have experience in computer programming, electronics, and practical stuff for experiment.

And on the other hand, if you can get experience in condensed matter where you are, you should definitely do it. Most of the new ideas in elementary particles were originally developed in condensed matter. These are things like vacuum, symmetry, breaking symmetry, 2nd quantization, etc.

Meanwhile keep on studying physics, both the things you like and also general physics.

Some people say that the best way to learn physics (so as to get a high score on the PGRE) is to teach the subject. So even if no one will hire you as an instructor, see if you can volunteer for tutoring at the freshman level. Better if you earn a little. You will be amazed at how much this will help.

Besides that, it's always a good idea, when preparing for tests like this, to get better at performing under pressure. So give yourself timed tests. Remember you're a "physics warrior". You do not have a duty to survive the competition, but you do have a duty to try your best. And you have a duty to prepare for competition. So go for it.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Well Carl, I really appreciate your suggestion. You are right; I need to concentrate on improving my physics score this time. At the same time, I will try to hone my computational programming skills. There is a strong condense matter group here at my university. Let me see if I can fit into their activities . As for your advice on tutoring, I am presently engaged in teaching physics to students at freshman level and getting a little extra bucks. This experience is very fulfilling as I love teaching. Lastly, I have not so far completely lost my hope on getting a graduate school berth for this fall. I am waiting on 5 schools. I am still keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you so much.

holycow

Post by holycow » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 am

siroy.sam wrote: While I appreciate your advice, on few things I would like to differ from your opinion. I doubt in India if its works like " hi I am Sam, I have interest in your work and it looks so cool you know. Prof say, how much you expect and when can we start?" My intention is not that it happens this way in US or Canada. Profs at US or Canada are more liberal and humble as most of them are pioneers in their respective field and so they are very understanding and look on students with compassion. While at india if you say that you want to work with him, they may frown upon you and you need connections too. Moreover, there may be large pool of wannabe students around them. Why would he choose you? Research opportunities, in fact, are not readily available in India especially in field like HEP-EX . So, probability of getting exposure here in my field is virtually nil.
I can tell you what happened to me. I emailed a professor at IISc. I emailed her about my efforts in learning physics and told her my PGRE score. I ended up doing some theory with her for few months. My work didn't last long, and I never got reccomendation from her, as I had an admit from US during working with her. But, I could have stayed with her longer if I had contacted her earlier. So bottom line, some professors could understand your aspiration and help you out. Try emailing many and see. After all there is nothing to lose by contacting them politely.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:44 am

@holycow
Thank you very much for your informative suggestion. Thats very good idea to contact the Profs and let them know that I have interest in their work. Who knows they may turn out to be really gems.

Regards,
Siroy

transparent_silvery

Post by transparent_silvery » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Rejected by Columbia Astro.

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Rice, 10 minutes ago.

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm

tpatt wrote:Rice, 10 minutes ago.
Me too..First waitlisted, then rejected..

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Received an email from University of Mississippi as response to my inquiry saying that they gave some offers already and yet to give couple of offers shortly. They have not started making decision on my application though and my chance of admission is very low as they give importance to quantitative section of GRE and my score is low compared to other applicants. Does it mean that I am rejected? Why am I not rejected straight away? This may atleast appease anxiety. Are they still considering me as back up? Their behavior is killing me slowly. Why am I still in this limbo?

GeorgeThe4th

Post by GeorgeThe4th » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am

Rejection from University of Maryland on 4/4 via email to check website.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 am

Rejection for Alabama University Tuscalloosa on email inquiry.

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:22 am

Johns Hopkins U. on e-mail inquiry..

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

U Washington Astro, last week. Thought I might have squeaked into that one. *sigh*

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 am

Rejected on inquiry from Florida State University, Oklahoma University, University of Mississippi, University of Alabama. South Carolina University rejection in early March on website update. But, I don't care as I have good offer from NIU. I am finally heading for graduate school this fall.