2012 Acceptances

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

transparent_silvery
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 pm

I know it's April 3 and 4. I want a detailed schedule of activities, since I may not have time for everything....

Do you have it? Their admin staff members are quite unresponsive to foreign students, even though a professor has already told me I'm admitted.
Avocado_number wrote:Open house is first week of April. I don't remember the exact date. Sorry about
that.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by grae313 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 am

transparent_silvery wrote:I know it's April 3 and 4. I want a detailed schedule of activities, since I may not have time for everything....

Do you have it? Their admin staff members are quite unresponsive to foreign students, even though a professor has already told me I'm admitted.
Avocado_number wrote:Open house is first week of April. I don't remember the exact date. Sorry about
that.
Dude. Use the phone.

User avatar
InquilineKea
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by InquilineKea » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:49 am

List of offers from students applying from USTC (a particular Chinese university): http://bbs.ustc.edu.cn/cgi/bbstcon?boar ... 20212890.A

vasilis
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by vasilis » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 pm

to transparent_silvery. Did UCSD send you an official admission letter or at least an admission e-mail? (A professor contacted me like two weeks ago and I haven't heard back from them since then)

transparent_silvery
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 am

vasilis wrote:to transparent_silvery. Did UCSD send you an official admission letter or at least an admission e-mail? (A professor contacted me like two weeks ago and I haven't heard back from them since then)
i got the admit letter two days ago, but financial details not out yet... dunno why this year they're unreasonably inefficient.

im going to open house btw.

yg9
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:52 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by yg9 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 pm

transparent_silvery wrote:
vasilis wrote:to transparent_silvery. Did UCSD send you an official admission letter or at least an admission e-mail? (A professor contacted me like two weeks ago and I haven't heard back from them since then)
i got the admit letter two days ago, but financial details not out yet... dunno why this year they're unreasonably inefficient.

im going to open house btw.
Are they at least partly reimbursing you for travel expenses ?
I found it weird that there was no mention of the open house in the email, which is supposed to be in less than 2 weeks. Maybe they don't really expect internationals to come to the open house ...

transparent_silvery
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Yup. UCSD doesn't reimburse int'l students. But if you still want to go you can email them.

I managed to bargain for $100, because I'm staying in a friends house so they don't have to book hotel for me.

I've already tried to complain on behalf of all international students...

transparent_silvery
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I just heard from two Johns Hopkins professors. Any internationals got offer earlier than I do? I want to know if my offer is second-round, or they are puttig international students after domestic, like UCSD does.

Actually, this practice does drive me away from UCSD and JHU. I mean, if they don't chase after me, I should also act cool.

yg9
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:52 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by yg9 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 pm

transparent_silvery wrote:Yup. UCSD doesn't reimburse int'l students. But if you still want to go you can email them.

I managed to bargain for $100, because I'm staying in a friends house so they don't have to book hotel for me.

I've already tried to complain on behalf of all international students...
That's odd. They should at least reimburse you the maximum amount they reimburse domestic students. I googled and found this link http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/grad/i ... sement.php which indicates that they reimburse up to $350 for east cost residents. You might be able to ask them to do so.

I've declined their offer, since I don't think it is worth the extra money and the time to visit there; they are not my top choice right now, and I expect their financial offer to be relatively low.

transparent_silvery
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 pm

yg9 wrote:
transparent_silvery wrote:Yup. UCSD doesn't reimburse int'l students. But if you still want to go you can email them.

I managed to bargain for $100, because I'm staying in a friends house so they don't have to book hotel for me.

I've already tried to complain on behalf of all international students...
That's odd. They should at least reimburse you the maximum amount they reimburse domestic students. I googled and found this link http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/grad/i ... sement.php which indicates that they reimburse up to $350 for east cost residents. You might be able to ask them to do so.

I've declined their offer, since I don't think it is worth the extra money and the time to visit there; they are not my top choice right now, and I expect their financial offer to be relatively low.
Yes. That's odd. I complained to both a professor and an office lady... they want to stick with their practice.

I'm considering UCSD. besides that their new faculty is somebody I'd like to work with, the cost of living there is relatively low.

I can get my privacy like bringing boys to my room with $500/mo in UCSD, but in UCSC it seems to be $971, even though UCSC will give me more money...

TakeruK
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by TakeruK » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:53 pm

yg9 wrote:
transparent_silvery wrote:Yup. UCSD doesn't reimburse int'l students. But if you still want to go you can email them.

I managed to bargain for $100, because I'm staying in a friends house so they don't have to book hotel for me.

I've already tried to complain on behalf of all international students...
That's odd. They should at least reimburse you the maximum amount they reimburse domestic students. I googled and found this link http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/grad/i ... sement.php which indicates that they reimburse up to $350 for east cost residents. You might be able to ask them to do so.

I've declined their offer, since I don't think it is worth the extra money and the time to visit there; they are not my top choice right now, and I expect their financial offer to be relatively low.
Caltech also reimburses up to 350 USD for international visitors, and they agreed to increase this to 450 USD because I stayed at a friends' place when visiting, instead of costing them a hotel room.

transparent_silvery
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 pm

TakeruK wrote:
yg9 wrote:
transparent_silvery wrote:Yup. UCSD doesn't reimburse int'l students. But if you still want to go you can email them.

I managed to bargain for $100, because I'm staying in a friends house so they don't have to book hotel for me.

I've already tried to complain on behalf of all international students...
That's odd. They should at least reimburse you the maximum amount they reimburse domestic students. I googled and found this link http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/grad/i ... sement.php which indicates that they reimburse up to $350 for east cost residents. You might be able to ask them to do so.

I've declined their offer, since I don't think it is worth the extra money and the time to visit there; they are not my top choice right now, and I expect their financial offer to be relatively low.
Caltech also reimburses up to 350 USD for international visitors, and they agreed to increase this to 450 USD because I stayed at a friends' place when visiting, instead of costing them a hotel room.

Ohio State will give up to $700, and they can consider giving more.

UCSD claims its a common practice of all public schools, but i dont think arguing with them will get me any benefit.

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Few days back, I wrote to a chair of graduate school admission. He got back to me asking for my TOEFL score as its missing. So, he told that they couldn't evaluate my application as the score is missing.

Further more, its mentioned that this year admission is exceptionally competitive with 180 applicants. He also further mentioned that they are very impressive of my application.

However, by mistake, there was a fragment of lines meant for another applicants. It talks about his application being very impressive and at the some time he was politely rejected.

Further, he sent a corrected email and apologized for the confusion caused due to the fragmented lines. He told that its wasn't mean for me. For me as the score is missing, they have not started my evaluation yet.

What does he actually mean by my application being very impressive and asking for TOEFL score? Do you think its a positive response? Do I stand any chance here?

TakeruK
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by TakeruK » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 pm

I have received many rejection letters (this year and in the past) that start with them saying that my application was very impressive, etc.

It could be a good sign since you now know they have rejected some people already, but they have not rejected you, so maybe you have made it past the first cut.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I would also consider another alternative. It could be possible that the school doesn't not want to make any decision (accept or reject) until the entire application package is complete. Maybe they are afraid if they reject a student with an incomplete package, the student would ask for a re-evaluation once the package was complete.

I don't think an admission decision would hinge on a TOEFL score (unless it was really bad). So it might be possible that they already know what their decision will be, and are just waiting for the complete package so they can give the result. Or, they haven't even looked at your application yet, since the TOEFL score was missing (and the fragment about an impressive application might be for someone else, or leftover from their standard form letter).

So I would say, get your score to them ASAP and see what happens! Maybe they will accept a scanned hardcopy of your scores until the official ones arrive.

PS: Sorry that I basically mention pretty much every outcome possible! But that's the point, I don't think you can really get any kind of reliable information from this email exchange, other than you should get your scores to them ASAP.

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you TakeruK. You are very true. I can't get any concrete information out of this email exchange. I have sent an unofficial score copy as the Prof told that at this stage official score is not required. The unofficial score may serve the purpose, he told. Let me see how it turns out. I am very nervous.

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:10 pm

One more thing. As the April 15 deadlines is near, should I write to those schools from where I have not so far heard a single word asking for any decision if they at all thought about my application? Or shall I wait until April 2 to write to them as many other do waiting to hear till last minute?

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:42 am

I just received a reply of my email status enquiry from the director of Graduate school of a university I applied. He told that they are about to start making their final round of acceptance soon and I would be getting my decision in next 2/3 weeks. Why didn't they tell straight that I am rejected if I were? Do you think I am still in consideration? Am I waitlisted or something?

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by midwestphysics » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:47 am

siroy.sam wrote:I just received a reply of my email status enquiry from the director of Graduate school of a university I applied. He told that they are about to start making their final round of acceptance soon and I would be getting my decision in next 2/3 weeks. Why didn't they tell straight that I am rejected if I were? Do you think I am still in consideration? Am I waitlisted or something?
It could mean either. Technically the 4/15 deadline applies to 1st rounders, if after that deadline 1st rounders don't reply or turn them down the school is under no obligation and thus can and will send out other acceptances. It could also mean they're sending their generic email to everyone who inquires. Some schools don't both rejecting most people until after the deadline simply because all they've focused on until then are the people they have accepted.

User avatar
quizivex
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:13 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by quizivex » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:46 am

Hey, before people start drifting away from the forum, please don't forget to add your profiles (or update them if you already have).

Thanks.

User avatar
mrrsnhtl
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by mrrsnhtl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:17 am

Anyone in the situation that you have one acceptance but also in waitlists of other schools?..What if they do not reply until after 15 April?..And what if you have accepted the only offer, but then offered by one of the other schools? These are some profound questions, indeed..

iatheia
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:09 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by iatheia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 am

mrrsnhtl wrote:Anyone in the situation that you have one acceptance but also in waitlists of other schools?..What if they do not reply until after 15 April?..And what if you have accepted the only offer, but then offered by one of the other schools? These are some profound questions, indeed..
They cannot reply after 15th - it is the final deadline for every school. Basically, this week is when everything is going to be decided for everyone, as all of us are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

admissionprof
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by admissionprof » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:14 pm

iatheia wrote:
mrrsnhtl wrote:Anyone in the situation that you have one acceptance but also in waitlists of other schools?..What if they do not reply until after 15 April?..And what if you have accepted the only offer, but then offered by one of the other schools? These are some profound questions, indeed..
They cannot reply after 15th - it is the final deadline for every school. Basically, this week is when everything is going to be decided for everyone, as all of us are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Actually, if you're on the waiting list of a school, they don't have to say yes or no before the 15th---after all, they may not hear from people they've made offers to until one minute before the deadline. But they are realistic to know that if they wait until after the deadline, almost everyone will have committed to some school, and thus are very unlikely to get anyone (except those without offers, of course).

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:04 pm

admissionprof wrote:
iatheia wrote:
mrrsnhtl wrote:Anyone in the situation that you have one acceptance but also in waitlists of other schools?..What if they do not reply until after 15 April?..And what if you have accepted the only offer, but then offered by one of the other schools? These are some profound questions, indeed..
They cannot reply after 15th - it is the final deadline for every school. Basically, this week is when everything is going to be decided for everyone, as all of us are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Actually, if you're on the waiting list of a school, they don't have to say yes or no before the 15th---after all, they may not hear from people they've made offers to until one minute before the deadline. But they are realistic to know that if they wait until after the deadline, almost everyone will have committed to some school, and thus are very unlikely to get anyone (except those without offers, of course).
How would a university where I am at waiting know that I have or haven't commited an offer? How will they even know that one has got some offer or all on waiting without single offer until or after 15th April? Why won't they offer after deadline if they still have vacancy? This is not really clear.

blighter
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by blighter » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:11 pm

They will offer after the deadline if they still have a vacancy. I don't know from where you got that they won't.

astroprof
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by astroprof » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Just to clarify, April 15 is the deadline for students to reply to
offers of financial assistance for graduate school. We cannot require
you to respond before this (although, as we've discussed on other
threads, earlier responses are beneficial to everyone, and you do not
need to have made your final decision before contacting schools that
you know you will not attend). For our part, we try to make all offers
before April 15, since we know that our top applicants will have offers
from other schools as well, and thus will not be available after April 15.
However, many programs will continue to admit off their waitlist until
they've reached their target enrollment numbers. Some programs continue
to admit students until the day before school starts. Thus, while the
bulk of the graduate admissions process will wrap up this week, there
will be a handful of offers extended during the next few months as well.

For those of you waiting to hear from other schools, it is now appropriate
to contact the department to let them know that you are still interested (if
you are). We cannot make offers off the waitlist until we have heard from
the majority of students to which we have already made offers, but we
often can let you know whether or not we think it is likely that we will
be using the waitlist. While that is not as helpful as an actual offer
(or rejection), it should help you make your decision. [It is also helpful
to withdraw your application if you know that you will not accept a
last minute offer, as that will help us make offers to those that are
still interested in a more timely manner; however, only do this if you
know absolutely that you are no longer interested in the program.]

ali8
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by ali8 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 am

Accepted to University at Buffalo [M.Sc. in Physics], via email inquiry, 24.4.2012.

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 am

ali8 wrote:Accepted to University at Buffalo [M.Sc. in Physics], via email inquiry, 24.4.2012.
Congratulation ali8 on your offer! Did you get funding for your MS program at Buffalo?

I am still waiting to hear from 4 schools where I am waitlisted. No responses at all inspite of my email inquiries post 15th April. God knows what's happening with me.

ali8
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by ali8 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 pm

siroy.sam wrote:
ali8 wrote:Accepted to University at Buffalo [M.Sc. in Physics], via email inquiry, 24.4.2012.
Congratulation ali8 on your offer! Did you get funding for your MS program at Buffalo?

I am still waiting to hear from 4 schools where I am waitlisted. No responses at all inspite of my email inquiries post 15th April. God knows what's happening with me.
I do not know. The professor only said that I am admitted.

Anyway, since I am a Fulbright nominee, Funding is not an issue for me.

siroy.sam
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by siroy.sam » Wed May 02, 2012 11:39 am

Finally accepted for PhD program at Northern Illinois University in the field of Experimental High Energy Physics with TA stipend of $1654/month and full tuition fee waiver. Looks like I am finally going to graduate study this fall. Huhh..h I can end this limbo at last!!

ali8
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by ali8 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:52 am

Accepted to Imperial College London, MRes in Nanomaterials, department of Chemistry (yes, chemistry).

Date: 17/5/2012.



Post Reply